What Amp/DAC for Grado GS1000?
Jul 29, 2006 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

sweetben

100+ Head-Fier
so i just ordered myself a pair of the grado gs1000's...my question is this...what amp with built in dac would work best with them...i listen to a ton of music off my computer so i love the idea of plugging directly into my usb port and bypassing my computers crummy sound card.

money is not really a big issue, even so i think my choices might be a maxed out headroom desktop amp, ps audio gcha, or a corda aria.

if it helps, i listen mostly to stuff like radiohead, pink floyd, joy division, gorillaz, belle and sebastian...basically various forms of rock...

anyone have any thoughts? are their amp/dacs i'm forgetting?

thanks

Aug 1, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 21
I've heard great things about the Headroom Desktop line, especially with the dedicated power supply. Ditto for the Corda Aria. Unfortunately I haven't had a listen with either of them so I can't give any insights into their nuances, but I'm sure other members here would be happy to chime in.

Aug 1, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 21
I have a Headroom Desktop Portable Amp and I like it... though it was my first amp so I'm not actually able to compare it to anything.

If you do go Headroom Desktop though, don't get the portable one like I did. Its portability is minimal because it's large, needs its power supply and if, like I do, you have your music on a external HD, you've got to take that with you too. So if you call taking your laptop, external HD, amp, portable amp power source and headphones portable, then sure, get the portable one. Otherwise, don't get the portable one and get probably a little better sound from the regular--it's the same price.

Aug 2, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 21
Apogee Mini-DAC (no additional amp needed)

Aug 2, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 21
Using the various sources in my signature below, the GS-1000's sound best using the Headroom MicroStack. It sounds extremely good, actually.

There is probably an amp out there with better synergy with the GS-1000's than the Headroom MicroAmp w/ Desktop module, but I don't yet know what it is (if there is one).

Aug 2, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 21
Can't say about a DAC. I use Cary 308T (mullard tubes), Sony XA777ES (modded) for SACD, and VPI Scout w/ Dynavector 17D mk.II cart. for sources, but I find the X-cans v.3 (Telefunken tubes) a very good match with the GS-1000 for an amp.

Aug 2, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #9 of 21
i have gotten a lot of tube amp choices from folk...but to use any of them i would have to get a standalone dac to connect to my computer and then connect the dac to amp...might be too much of a hassle and expenditure just to listen to music on the computer...it is so hard to decide whether to keep it simple or just go nuts and drop serious cash...

interesting note: Todd of TTVJ recommends the Emmeline II Raptor...he says it is the best he has heard with the grado gs1000....

Aug 21, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetben

interesting note: Todd of TTVJ recommends the Emmeline II Raptor...he says it is the best he has heard with the grado gs1000....

I talked to Todd about this regarding the Stock GS 1000s and this he told me too.. regarding the Raptor and the GS1K's...

I would like to see if anyone has heard the Raptor and the Black Dragon GS 1000, and their thoughts.
cool.gif

Aug 21, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetben
i have gotten a lot of tube amp choices from folk...but to use any of them i would have to get a standalone dac to connect to my computer and then connect the dac to amp...might be too much of a hassle and expenditure just to listen to music on the computer...it is so hard to decide whether to keep it simple or just go nuts and drop serious cash...

With a PC as a source, you may be limited. I tried this last weekend. I think tubes will help to soften any "digital hardness".

Aug 22, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #15 of 21
I just got my GS1000's, and they sound TERRIFIC with my Meier Corda Aria. The GS1K's benefit from the Meier's deep but well controlled bass and very smooth mids and treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back