What American accent do you have?
Jun 14, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #61 of 180
Midland... but born and raised in Los Angeles. Third generation native, too. Go figure. Isn't there a Western accent in this test? The "Midland" category doesn't say it includes the Left Coast.

Jun 14, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #63 of 180
Midland. Born and raised in Minnesota, but my parents are from Michigan (da UP, eh?) and Pittsburgh. Interestingly enough, my parents don't have accents anymore, and I don't ever remember them having one.

Jun 14, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #64 of 180
What American accent do you have? (Best version so far)

My Results:

Midland

("Midland" is not necessarily the same thing as "Midwest") The default, lowest-common-denominator American accent that newscasters try to imitate. Since it's a neutral accent, just because you have a Midland accent doesn't mean you're from the Midland.

I grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio, BTW.

-Ed

Jun 14, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #65 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People always tell me that I don't have an accent.....this test pretty much gave the same results (though it's certainly not as accurate as having some oral test). I was born in Indiana but raised in North Carolina (which actually has a lot of different types of accents). I got labeled with "Midland" accent.

I did live in Boston for a little bit.....so I always pronounce Boston like a native Bostonian: Bahstan . I also find I start sinking into a Canadian accent if I'm conversing with Canadians
confused.gif

Same here pretty sure I don't have an accent. I got the midland tag.

But I grew up in Wales & England (born to about 7 years old)

Saskatchewan, Canada (7-12 years old) [I had an incredibly strong British accent up until I was probably 9-10]

Edmonton/Alberta, Canada (12-13)

New Hampshire, US (13-23), where I live right now. [Side note I did have a really strong Canadian accent up until I was about 15, roughly grade 10. I did say "aboot" and "eh" a lot, along with a few other quirky words. I mean a lot...I got a lot of crap for it from friends]

And I just don't think NH'ers have an accent, I can't hear one. Certain parts of Mass it's pretty strong...and Vermont...ooooh boy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find people from Mass (most areas of Mass I should say) sound completely normal, EXCEPT when the letters "AR" come together. I would say, "I parked the car in Worcester", and someone from Mass would typically say, "I pahked the cah in Wusstuh". It always throws me off.

The notorious Summerville/Milford/Boston accent
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #67 of 180
I'm a native of Arizona and the test said I have a Midland accent. Strangely, though, when we're up at our cottage in Northern Wisconsin people think that we're from the South.

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #70 of 180
Midland. My dad's family is from Ohio, but my mother's has settled mostly in Arizona, which is where I was born. How I speak tends to change a little based on if I'm at work or talking with friends. At work and in settings where formality is at least somewhat required, I speak in a neutral American English manner but other times you could hear hints that I grew up at least partly in rural areas in the southwest. At work I often am told by customers that I sound like I do radio commercials or something because of the way I enunciate.

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #71 of 180
Midland - makes sense since I've lived in the Chicago land area my whole life.

Random fact: The accent that most news people aim for is that of a midwestern. It appears to be the most neutral. I have read that Katie Couric, of St. Louis origin, is the reference accent that up and coming newscasters aspire to.

Jun 14, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #72 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.

Test was also dead on for me.

Same results for me, except I'm from Brooklyn, NY...not sure if I would consider it dead on, last time I took this test I had different results.

Jun 14, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #73 of 180
Minnesota= Midland- go figure.

Although I have adopted a few New Jersey words from my wife. Funny how while making fun of someones accent you slowly adopt it. Door and wahter have become more Doohr and w'ter. I'm pretty sure my MN accent became considerably more pronounced following a 2 year period of Fargo quotes in the mid 90's.

Jun 14, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #74 of 180
According to the test I have a "Northern" accent, which figures.

I was raised in upstate New York, I always thought I had a fairly "neutral" accent, if there is such a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back