What am I missing here? I need more CDs!
Sep 18, 2002 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ian

Lifting Meridians by their trays
Hey folks,

Ok, so don't laugh at me. I listened to Led Zeppelin for the first time seriously (other than whatever is on the radio) a few weeks ago, and I absolutely loved it. I usually listen to modern rock, and this stuff just blows it all away. It's actually music! I'll just blame my ignorance on my age.

Ok, so I bought 4 CD's of Zep and my favorite is Physical Graffiti. I find myself listening to older music a lot more lately, and I was wondering if I could get any more tips on something along these lines (that is old!). Being a youngin I figure I missed a lot of good rock and I dont want to limit myself to stuff made since I've been born. Right now I've been going through a lot of Bruce Springsteen along with the Zeppelin (always liked him actually). For modern rock I've been listening to the Strokes, the White Stripes, Ben Kweller, Radiohead, NIN, Bush, Blur, Soundgarden, etc.

What else should I look? Im in desperate need of new, good CD's!

Thanks a lot!

Sep 18, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 21
Emerson, Lake and Palmer:
- Tarkus
- Trilogy
- Brain Salad Surgery
- Pictures At An Exhibition

Yes:
- Fragile
- Magnification

Sep 18, 2002 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 21
i would also suggest adding close to the edge under good albums by YES.

also, if houses of the holy wasn't one of the 4 zeppelin cds you bought, i'd say get that immediately. the ocean is just amazing.

Sep 18, 2002 at 8:13 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Ok, so don't laugh at me.

ian, you damned misguided person... at last you see the light
wink.gif

i say you attack the rock and roll of the past: rolling stones, chuck berry's killer guitar riffs, velvet underground... the stuff the bands you were exposed to built their sound around. my five to dig in with (all us versions since it'll be easier):

the clash - the clash
the rolling stones - aftermath
the velvet underground & nico
chuck berry - i only have box sets, but any greatest hits album should be fine. hear the guitar (and lyrics) that changed music.
the who - the who sings my generation

seriously, it'll cost you maybe $75 to give it a try and believe me a new world of music will open up for you.

Sep 18, 2002 at 8:59 AM Post #5 of 21
indeed, Close To The Edge should be added to that list, maybe even at the top of it
cool.gif

King Crimson should be high on your list as well:
-In The Court Of The Crimson King
-Red
-Discipline

Sep 18, 2002 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 21
You guys are awesome. Well, except for Carlo...but he knows it.

Already found of a bunch of these in MP3's on the school network (suprising, most people here have awful taste in music, worse than me!), and I'll be ordering a new stack of CD's tonight! Definently some very cool stuff.

Thanks!

Sep 18, 2002 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 21
Basics of the Trade:
wink.gif

Genesis-Selling England by the Pound
Genesis-Nursery Cryme
Genesis-The lamb Lies Down on Broadway

King Crimson-In the Court of the Crimson King (super basic)
King Crimson-In the Wake of Poseidon
King Crimson-Starless and Bible Black

Jethro Tull-Thick as a Brick
Jethro Tull-The Passion Play
Jethro Tull-Aqualung

Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath-Paranoid
Black Sabbath-Master of Reality

Deep Purple-In Rock
Deep Purple-Fireball
Deep Purple-Machine Head
(Made in Japan(live)is agreat album too...)

...This will do for the beginning ...
evil_smiley.gif
watch your wallet...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I warmly seccond the ELP and YES suggestions...
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2002 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 21
Jimi Hendrix, both as The Experience, and as The Band of Gypsies.

The Cream

ZZ Top

Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble

I'd better stop. This is starting to sound like the Power Trios thread...

OK, one more band: Lynyrd Skynyrd

Sep 18, 2002 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 21
Already gave you some suggestions on IRC, but here they are again with a bunch added on...

Jimi Hendrix -- get the 2-CD set Voodoo Child. Has studio recordings both of the Experience and Band of Gypsies, as well as a bunch of really great live performances. Recording/remastering quality seems much better than the other three albums I have on CD -- Are You Experienced, Electric Ladyland, and BBC Sessions.

Led Zeppelin -- get Houses of the Holy. Not a bad song in the bunch, flows well. Great music, really fun to play too if you play the guitar (especially the 12-string lol)

The Who -- not sure if this is what you want since it'll be a lot different from the crap you listen to right now. But consider getting Live at Leeds, either the older single-CD version or the updated 2-CD set. Just amazing and very long solos. Opened me up to a whole new side of the Who at a point where I only knew them for Tommy.

Pink Floyd -- you'll definitely have to wait on this one for a while yet. When you decide you want to try deeper rock try out Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here.

Rolling Stones -- I like the Hot Rocks 1964-71 collection a lot. Second CD has all great songs, first CD has some hits and misses but all are important songs to know anyway.

Anyway that's all I can think of for now. Good luck and stop listening to ****.
tongue.gif

Sep 18, 2002 at 6:02 PM Post #10 of 21
Look for:

Bluesbreakers
Yardbirds
Jefferson Airplane
10 Years After
Canned Heat
Country Joe and the Fish
Big Brother and the Holding Company
Deep Purple
Very eary Rod Stewart

That should keep you busy for a while.

Sep 18, 2002 at 6:50 PM Post #11 of 21
thanks for all the tips guys! I just discovered the rolling stones(remasters), and I love this stuff! I mean, I used to think that only old people listened to this stuff,
biggrin.gif
, but this is good stuff!

Sep 18, 2002 at 7:06 PM Post #12 of 21
Ach mein Gott. ian, I assume you're about my age (barely 20), which really doesn't excuse you for your musical lapse. But, hey, I wouldn't know many of my favorite bands even existed if I hadn't given up on modern music about five years go. Here're some great bands people our age wouldn't know about without making an effort:
  1. Led Zeppelin: Has to top the list. Good thing you already found them. I like a lot of their older stuff better than their later stuff, but it's all great. Be sure to check out their more bluesy tracks, too -- especially "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You," "Since I've Been Loving You," "The Lemon Song," "When the Levee Breaks," "I Can't Quit You Baby," and "Dazed and Confused."
  2. The Yardbirds/Jeff Beck: The Yardbirds were the predecessor band to Led Zeppelin (which started out under the name The New Yardbirds.) Good stuff all around, including Jeff Beck's (the lead guitarist) "solo" projects after the band's breakup.
  3. The Who: Just classic. Maybe stick with their later stuff, though, or they might sound too British Invasion for you. Quadrophenia and Who's Next are just rocking, and they're my recommendations here.
  4. Rush: If you're not one of those freaks who hates Lee's vocals on first listen, you'll have to love this band. 2112, Moving Pictures, and Hemispheres are their strongest albums in my opinion.
  5. Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon is one of my (and half the rest of the world's) favorite albums. The Wall is another must.
  6. The Clash: Must own. Best punk ever. I suggest either getting The Clash or one of the compilation albums, such as The Clash on Broadway or The Story of The Clash, Vol. 1 to start off. carlo recommended them, so you know they're good.
  7. AC/DC: You really can't use your age as an excuse for these guys, but I have a lot of friends who don't know jack about them. I like the Bon Scott era most, so I'd suggest '74 Jailbreak, High Voltage, and Highway to Hell first. But it's all good -- you'll have to pick up Back in Black at some point, of course.
  8. Jane's Addiction: An even newer band, but unless you were into hard alternative over a decade ago, you probably missed them. Pick up Ritual de lo Habitual and go from there.
  9. John Mellencamp: 1983's Uh-Huh is a great album. Just try to avoid the pictures of John in his tight jeans.
  10. The Doors: I always thought I disliked The Doors until I bought one of their albums just for the hell of it. Buy Morrison Hotel and you'll end up with the rest.
  11. The Beatles: Once you get past "I Want to Hold Your Hand," this is actually a pretty decent little band. My favorite albums are Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles (aka The White Album), Revolver, and Abbey Road.
  12. Jimmi Hendrix: As a lot of people have said, both as The Jimmi Hendrix Experience and Band of Gypsies.
  13. Other bands of note: Of course The Rolling Stones -- also gives you a good excuse to pick up their new hybrid remasters and a SACD player. Deep Purple, a great rock band; Lou Reed for a change of pace; Lynyrd Skynyrd for the best of southern rock; Stevie Ray Vaughn for the blues. Have to listen to The Ramones at some point. Later great punk bands include Operation Ivy and Rancid. Also some Eric Clapton, "solo" or in any of his many bands, The Black Crowes, The Cult, and Bob Dylan. Also pick up Peter Frampton's Frampton Comes Alive[/b], if only for "Do You Feel Like We Do?" one of my all-time favorite tracks. And the voice guitar is just cool.

I probably left out a ton. Truth is, I don't own anywhere near enough music. If I had more money (and if I hadn't just dropped a grand on equipment), I'd be buying like crazy.

kerelybonto

Sep 18, 2002 at 7:27 PM Post #13 of 21
Oh, and by the way, if you really want to pick up a lot of these suggestions, I recommend joining a music club like BMG. They have almost all of the albums from all of the great '60s-'80s bands (minus a few notable exceptions that still sell too well, like The Beatles). I picked up both Led Zeppelin box sets (their complete studio works) for really cheap, and if you wait for the "buy one get the rest for $1.99 each" offer, you can order as many CDs as you want for a cost of about five bucks per disc. (Acutally, the introductory twelve-for-one offer will get you well on your way.) They also have good prices on other essentials, like Miles Davis's The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions, which I picked up for less than it's possible to get the standard version anywhere else.

Reading through the other replies, I have to append my list. Additionally, listen to these as soon as you get a chance: The Velvet Underground, Rod Stewart, Chuck Berry (you have to appreciate his stuff, if only out of thanks for those he inspired), Carlos Santana, and Jethro Tull.

I may as well tell you that I actively dislike some of the bands listed, too, so do what you've been doing, "previewing" the music before you blindly run out and buy what the rest of us like.

kerelybonto

Sep 18, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #14 of 21
Yup, I'm just about 20 too...
For some strange reason, most people at my school don't seem to be sharing most of these bands. Go figure, most of them like the music I _used_ to listen to
wink.gif

Just ordered some goodies at cheap-cds including some Yes, Velvet Underground, The Who, and King Crimson. Can't wait to hear it! Should get me set for the time being.

I never would have thought I'd spend so much money on music...but hey, it seems like a better investment than more system upgrades.

Sep 18, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #15 of 21
also, if you're a fan of the electric guitar, get

Joe Satriani - Surfing With The Alien

instrumental rock at it's purest!

(also not-quite-20 here
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back