What am I missing here? I need more CDs!
Sep 18, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #16 of 21
I'm over 40. I have never heard The Velvet Undergound, and I never even heard of King Crimson. You all have been recomending some good stuff. You went as far back as Chuck Berry, how about Bill Haley and His Comets? The only cd I've found of them is titled Bill Haley and His Comets From the Original Master Tapes. This is good stuff from the early days of Rock N Roll.

Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1964-71 I have this on casette. It is worn out. BTW the first I can remember of hearing rock music was the Rolling Stones. I'v been hooked ever since.

Sep 19, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #18 of 21
Satriani, mos def. Surfing with the Alien is one of my favorite new acquisitions. Too bad I'm not going to be able to make the Baltimore show.

I have a Dreamtheater album waiting in my basket at Tower or BMG or somewhere. I haven't heard any of their stuff, but just because they're touring with Satch and the things I've heard about them here I'm interested.

Why does it seem like we're leaving out so many great bands? I have a feeling this thread'll be going for a while.

kerelybonto

Sep 19, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #19 of 21
Mr. PD,

bill haley and the comets were of course a significant group in the early rock and roll/rockabilly period, but man there's only so many times i can hear beecher do the same guitar riff before it gets old. i love the overlap of slap bass and drums and that sweet sax, but its just not chuck berry... its sad to me that i'm a relative newcomer to his work (save for johnny b goode and the like), but i'm finding the same fascination i had when i first stumbled upon (and fell deep into) dylan's stuff. a genius in every sense of the word, and any keith richards devotee really should pay homage to the man who inspired that sweet guitar.

i think you'll love the velvet underground, hell its hard not to. lou reed is of course one of the great rock and roll figures in time but there's magic in john cale's guitar and maureen tucker's drums... its rock and roll the way it was always meant to be: a **** you to the establishment as its generally regarded. highly recommended that you pick up the four big studio albums, then dig deeper
wink.gif

ian,

man keep us up to date with what you find with your picks, its always exciting as hell when someone takes the time to venture into music. its especially exciting to me since i was at a slightly younger age when i really got into rock and roll (after a long period in the "folk rock" bob dylan/joni mitchell/james taylor previously).

its been too long since we've had a really fun music thread going, its these exchanges i dig the most.

best,
carlo.

Oct 3, 2002 at 6:33 PM Post #21 of 21
Great Thread,

Looks like I also need to pickup a few more CD's but,

Don't forget:

Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR)
Steppenwolf

Both have greatest hits CD's to get you started.

Namastay,
Cheeba-Fi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back