What am I doing wrong? (MMF-5)
Oct 21, 2002 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
For some reason, I just can't get our MMF-5 to even come close to my Arcam -> MG Head (Raytheon 5751) -> HD600. I've adjusted the tracking force (using the Shure guage), made sure the VTA is good (it is), set the anti-skating force, leveled the T/T using post-it notes under the feet and the integral bubble level, cleaned the record with the turntablebasics.com brush, but Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon still doesn't sound even CLOSE to the same tracks on the "Echoes" compilation! There's waay more depth and air on the CD - and the T/T still sounds bright.

Maybe it's the McIntosh MA6500 that I'm using as a source switch? Maybe the Outlaw cables the Wheatfield is connected with? I doubt it's the Antique Sound phono preamp, and the ICs connecting the preamp to the McIntosh are AQ Diamondbacks, which can't be /that/ bad for the price my dad paid for them ($150 for the 6' length; we needed another pair of ICs so he said he'd stop by Magnolia HiFi on the way home - and of course bought much more expensive ones than I would have recommended, since I can DIY ones much better than the barely-above-Monster build quality of AQ cables [have you ever taken off the plug covers and looked at the insides of the AQ cables? Mostly rubber and fabric on the outside...]). Maybe we just need some power conditioning - there's lots of noise and hum when I turn up the volume, in addition to the snap crackle and pop of dust that the brush refuses to get out. (all our upstairs audio kit is plugged into the same outlet, which is attached to a line filter/surge protector my dad brought home from his work a while ago because we needed a surge protector)

Oct 21, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 11
the noise and hum problems are more than likely to do with a connection or the phono preamp. that mac integrated has a phono stage iirc, try that and see what comes up. line conditioning is the last thing to look at in this situation.

cough up the cat # for your copy of dark side of the moon. echoes is a very well recorded cd and your lp pressing may be to blame. how many hours do you have on the goldring cart?

Oct 21, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 11
Yes, the Mac has a phono stage, but hooking it up is a big hassle, and it's not a terribly good stage, either. (installing the AS unit was a BIG improvement)

I just got the Goldring cart, however I bought the T/T used...

And the pressing was bought in Germany when DSOM came out; it's one of my dad's LPs. (and his only Floyd one, to boot)

Oct 21, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 11
eric,

the euro first pressings of pink floyd are the ****, so no problems there. if you found the asl to be an improvement to the mac and you're having problems with depth i don't know what to tell you... give the goldring some time to break in and see what happens.

also try repositioning your phono stage to make sure you aren't picking up any rfi and take very carefull routing of your wires, if you have to have stuff run near each other have them cross at a 90 degree angle. try it out and post your findings.

be back later tonight to read this thread,
carlo.

Oct 21, 2002 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 11
First, simplify. Run the phono preamp directly to the MG Head, just as you do the Arcam. Use the same interconnects. Then listen. Does it still sound bad? If so, then focus on the phono amp/table/LP. If the sound is improved, then focus on the parts of the system you've taken out of the loop. (Incidentally, a cheap surge suppressor can add noise...might help to lose it for a bit while testing sound)

Good luck!

Oct 21, 2002 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 11
FYI the Antique Sound phono preamp is NOT made by Antique Sound Labs - I got it from ai0tron awhile back.

And if the Euro pressings are the ****, well that might have something to do with it...

And lastly, due to the construction of the shelving where the stereo stuff is, it's almost totally impossible to avoid running all the wires (power/signal/etc) in parallel - the shelves are sunk into the wall, and there's only a 2x2 square in one corner of each shelf to run wire. I may need to DIY some shielding
rolleyes.gif

However, the phono preamp is on the same shelf as the t/t - and I've been VERY careful with wire routing there.

And Hirsch, I'll have to bring my MG Head upstairs sometime - good idea!

But I don't think the surge supressor is adding noise - it says it reduces noise by 15dB or so (IIRC; it's hidden behind the tuner and Denon disc changer so I can't just take a look at it without a headlamp)

Oct 21, 2002 at 5:03 AM Post #7 of 11
It is your pressing!!!!!

The "Echoes" version was remastered at astoria, and that's why it sounds better. For a fair comparison, get a vinyl version of "Echoes"

I must say...even though i'm not a huge pink floyd fan, that is one awesome sounding compilation.

Oct 21, 2002 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 11
eric,
sorry, sometimes i type the same bastardized form of english i use to speak... by "the ****" i meant "really, really good" (as opposed to "****" which would be "bad"
wink.gif
).

hirsch's idea of simplifying is a great one. try moving that phono stage though and tweak with vta a tad to see if the sound becomes favorable. the aggrivating thing here is that you have a solid set up and unfortunately the end sound leaves much to be desired. i'm convinced it can be resolved.

best,
carlo.

Oct 21, 2002 at 11:09 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

For a fair comparison, get a vinyl version of "Echoes"

The vinyl Echoes box set has also been digitally remastered, therefore another generation removed from even the cd version. Everyone is unanimous in agreement that it sounds inferior also.

The only way you're going to get a good pressing is to buy an original.

Oct 21, 2002 at 11:31 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
For some reason, I just can't get our MMF-5 to even come close to my Arcam -> MG Head (Raytheon 5751) -> HD600. I've adjusted the tracking force (using the Shure guage), made sure the VTA is good (it is), set the anti-skating force, leveled the T/T using post-it notes under the feet and the integral bubble level, cleaned the record with the turntablebasics.com brush, but Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon still doesn't sound even CLOSE to the same tracks on the "Echoes" compilation! There's waay more depth and air on the CD - and the T/T still sounds bright.

Maybe we just need some power conditioning - there's lots of noise and hum when I turn up the volume, in addition to the snap crackle and pop of dust that the brush refuses to get out. (all our upstairs audio kit is plugged into the same outlet, which is attached to a line filter/surge protector my dad brought home from his work a while ago because we needed a surge protector)

Hi.
I have an MMF-5 and it smokes my CAL CL-20 player!
Do you have a TV hooked up to the stereo? I have to unplug the S video connection from the DVD to the TV or else I get noise & Hum (That's just life with a TT in an integrated system).
Try it with out the surge protector.
Hook up JUST the turntable and see if you have noise.
If not, then add components one by one until you find the guilty party.
Buy a Record Doctor, and Record Research labs Record Wash, it works wonders. Don't forget something to clean the needle with too.
Check out this place, lots of info there.

Vinyl Asylum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back