What all would I need to make a portable setup?
Jun 28, 2011 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

wanderwithbeats

New Head-Fier
Moving to college end of this week. Already know what headphones I am getting (Senn HD25-II) but am looking to replace my iPhone/iPod setup for a more premium sounding setup. I hear a lot of people say DAC which I understand to be an outside equalizer/amplifier. Correct?

As far as most things I am concerned about is the weight of the setup. I will be mainly carrying it around in my pockets while walking around downtown Chicago, on the bus/train. Size is also of importance. No I don't want a iPod Mini or something of similar size since it does't have the storage I require.

Obviously my budget is pretty open so feel free to mention most anything.

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 11
I don't have experience with many portable amps (which seems to be what you are looking for) but I will clarify it a bit for you: A DAC is a component of an external/portable amp (Digital Analogue Converter). If your digital audio player (DAP) supports digital output, or, if you want to use the portable amp with a computer, you would want an amp with a DAC. Otherwise, if you are using the headphone output (adjustable volume on the DAP and amp) or line output (LO: Standard output level, fixed volume from the DAP, adjusted with the portable amp receiving the output) from your DAP, you don't need an amp with a DAC, as the signal stays analogue and needs no conversion.

Hope that helps.

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
Just get a pair of decent IEMs. I run IEMs out of an iPod and am happy with that for travel/portable use.

Save your money for your home rig.

I got the iPhone currently but am looking for a more dedicated music player as my iPhone battery drains quite a bit since I use it a lot. I just don't know if I'm buying into the Cowon way or not. the S9 seems outdated. The J3 is horrific from what I read. 

My home rig is two speakers consisting of a butt plug and two dildos.  lol seriously that's what they look like. Living in a college apartment doesn't allow me the freedom to get a decent rig. 

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 11
i'm perfectly content with my iPhone 4 and Sleek Audio SA6 IEM's straight out of the headphone jack. my home rig is a pretty nice setup and i am in no way disappointed when i listen to my portable setup. 

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 11
I am. It seems as though the headphones I have  (shure 440's) need an outside amp to drive them. I can tell the difference between my computer and iPhone 4. It's rough. Maybe all I need is a portable amp then to get things running decent.

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 11
i'd say you either need some IEM's to go with your iPhone, or an amp to go with your iPhone and your 440's. my iPhone has no problem with my IEM's but the 440's may require more than the headphone jack alone can supply. i'm usually somewhere in the 1/2 to 2/3 area on the volume with my IEM's, so in my case the iPhone has plenty of power with some headroom to spare. if your above the 2/3 area alot then you would most likely benefit from an amp.

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 11
i'd say you either need some IEM's to go with your iPhone, or an amp to go with your iPhone and your 440's. my iPhone has no problem with my IEM's but the 440's may require more than the headphone jack alone can supply. i'm usually somewhere in the 1/2 to 2/3 area on the volume with my IEM's, so in my case the iPhone has plenty of power with some headroom to spare. if your above the 2/3 area alot then you would most likely benefit from an amp.

Wish they made some IEM that actually fit my ears. My ear canals are small as well as the opening of it. Nothing I have tried fits in my ears. I'm usually around halfway with my 440's in a silent room and more if I'm in a noisy enlivenment. I must so though the sounds sound fuller off my pc. That's what I meat. They'll probably sound fuller with an amp.
Try the equalizer app too.

The EQu app?

Jul 1, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Wish they made some IEM that actually fit my ears. My ear canals are small as well as the opening of it. Nothing I have tried fits in my ears. I'm usually around halfway with my 440's in a silent room and more if I'm in a noisy enlivenment. I must so though the sounds sound fuller off my pc. That's what I meat. They'll probably sound fuller with an amp.

The EQu app?

There are two of them....one is called EQu, the other is called Equalizer. I prefer Equalizer, but they both work very well.

Jul 3, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #11 of 11
my s:flo2 pairs great with my senns hd25ii. It has two great dac chips inside so no need for a dac, and it has a pretty decent amp built into it as well that give a good amount of juice to the hd25ii which definitely do benefit from amping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back