What a ridiculous question? Headphones or speakers?
Jul 25, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #61 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
why are you so sure about that? with everything so closely miked these days, don't you think speaker rig is the "way it is meant to be heard"

i was simply conveying what the poster was trying to say. i cant agree one way or the other.

Jul 25, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #62 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by kinglues
id hate to say this but my friend has a $30K sound system he recently installed. if you close your eyes it sounds like the band is playing right next to you.

Yes; that's true. It does. Our listening room isn't all that large(17X27 ft)but a relatively large orchestra can squeeze in here with us and share the space with our floorstanders and sub.

It's fun.

Jul 25, 2006 at 11:59 AM Post #63 of 77
Actually, I'm sure that speakers present music the way the engineers mean for it to be heard. If headphones were the desired reference for playback, then engineers would mix on headphones. They don't; In fact mixing on headphones is considered heresey by almost everybody in the pro audio world. Music is mixed to sound as good as possible on as many speaker systems as possible. Headphone consideration is becoming more important in this world of iPods, but speakers are still the primary concern of the engineer.

Jul 25, 2006 at 12:06 PM Post #64 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by stefancolson
Actually, I'm sure that speakers present music the way the engineers mean for it to be heard. If headphones were the desired reference for playback, then engineers would mix on headphones. They don't; In fact mixing on headphones is considered heresey by almost everybody in the pro audio world. Music is mixed to sound as good as possible on as many speaker systems as possible. Headphone consideration is becoming more important in this world of iPods, but speakers are still the primary concern of the engineer.

Good point. In the days of "Stereo only," headphones may have been a good altenative; but now with 5.1 being the smallest system to plan for....

Jul 25, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #65 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
I have yet to hear any headphone that doesn't make you feel like you're listening to a guitar while sitting inside a cabinet.

****ing hilarious

roflmao

Jul 25, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #66 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Razoramus
Speakers and headphones are too different to compare. They each have their place but it is much much much more expensive to get decent speakers as opposed to good headphones. Also, you can buy multiple sets of headphones without taking up a lot of space. Headphones are more fun I guess. Speakers are good for movies and laying about listening to music without something on your ears, good for parties and get-togethers also.

i'm going to play devil's advocate and go against the common theme of "headphones are cheaper"

take a mid-fi phone setup, say hd650 + m3; that's what, $600ish?
mid-fi speaker system nowadays you could do a t-amp based amp like a DIYparadise charlize for $100, and either build your own speakers (out of some incredible drivers like jordans for instance) or buy a number of possibilites in the $500 range: triangle for instance.

do y'all think the headphones would have more resolution, precision, and accuracy? (leaving out body-bass,

i think the real truth is that it comes down to personal needs in the end: forget everything else; if you need isolation you need headphones, if you want to listen with friends, or walk around the house, you need speakers. really there's no other way to decide. and BOTH is always a good thing!

pps: and i'll also take issue with the whole "room positioning" argument of headfi'ers. not that it's not important. having a good room setup is indeed very important, but i think it's a scapegoat for folks that don't want to try speakers. just because you don't have the perfect room, doesn't mean it won't be darn good. and you can always solve this problem somewhat as well by doing near-field. if you're like me and your desk is your main listening position, near-field will work fine when you're at it, and when you're up and about you'll still have some nice background music.

that being said there's something peculiarly intimate about headphones and i think i can sum it up: it feels that the artist is right there, in your mind, playng just for you. speaking into your ear as it were.

Jul 25, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #67 of 77
This thread is just like posing the question "Which is the best form of Transport - Car or Motorbike?" end expecting to get a definitive answer. Circumstances, needs and preferences have such a big part to play a definitve answer is impossible.

Simon

Jul 25, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #68 of 77
To tell you the truth when I'm at home I most always listen to my hi-fi setup. The soundstage is awesome and can't really be reproduced with headphones. However, when it's passed about 9:00 pm and I don't want to disturb anyone, the headphones really come in handy. Also, when I'm on the road the headphones are my hi-fi backup. I love the detail of headphones, but I prefer the dynamic impact of a good amplifier and speaker combo.

Jul 25, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #69 of 77
Boy reading this thread it appears a lot of head-fiers really aren't very into headphones.

Jul 25, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #70 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Boy reading this thread it appears a lot of head-fiers really aren't very into headphones.

My thoughts exactly
tongue.gif

Jul 25, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #71 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab

Only when we're comparing them to speakers. I love my headphone setup, but it's not fair for the cans when they are in the same room as my 2 channel, and my 5.1 sits in the adjacent room. Plus, my wife sleeps with earplugs, so I rarely can't use my speakers.

Jul 25, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #72 of 77
I sometimes PREFER listening to my $2,000 headphone rig to my $25,000 stereo. And trust me it's a darn good stereo. But sometimes I prefer the experience I get from headphones.

Jul 25, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #73 of 77
I think you can be really in to headphones and still think that speakers are better at certain things. We love them for what they do and love speakers for what they do to. Headphones 24/7 is kind of crazy. However, I don't consider myself and crazy headfier. I love speakers and I love headphones. Some poeple love headphones and headphones only. Sounds like a solitary existence to me.

Jul 25, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #74 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan
I think you can be really in to headphones and still think that speakers are better at certain things. We love them for what they do and love speakers for what they do to. Headphones 24/7 is kind of crazy. However, I don't consider myself and crazy headfier. I love speakers and I love headphones. Some poeple love headphones and headphones only. Sounds like a solitary existence to me.

I greatly enjoy them both too, no doubt.

Jul 25, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #75 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by funkadelic
This thread is just like posing the question "Which is the best form of Transport - Car or Motorbike?" end expecting to get a definitive answer. Circumstances, needs and preferences have such a big part to play a definitve answer is impossible.

Simon

This is so true. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. All I know is that I'll end up sinking money into both in the long run. Whether that's an advantage or disadvantage remains to be seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back