What a painful journey of my D-Z555 bidding on ebay
Jul 7, 2005 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

wwmidia

Head-Fier
http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI...tem=5785356056

Things are quite straight forward with the bidding history. But for your convenience I'd like to explain in words.

In June 30th I was bidding against one ridiculous bidding price untill 400 without winning, and I gave up and forgot it.

15 minutes before the end I recieved an email told me some biddings have been cancelled and I am the highest - at $150, that's quite sweet.

but one bidder did misconduct like this:
chondria ( 96) US $385.00 07-Jul-05 17:50:48 BST

please notice what he did before:

chondria ( 96) Retracted: US $1,350.00
Explanation: Entered wrong amount Bid: 07-Jul-05 17:01:04 BST
Retracted: 07-Jul-05 17:47:31 BST

due to the biddings I made before the retraction, I think every one could see my highest bidding price.

I'm trying to give some explanation for those unreasonable deeds but can figure out nothing. Could anyone give me some reason why they did these?
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
Personally, that's why I don't like putting in maximum bids if I'm not around to see the end of the auction. Or I only put in a maximum that I think is reasonable.

Sorry that happened to you though.

Sorry also.

That an other reason to snipe. They don't see your final bid and there is less change for bid war because they don't have much time to reply to your bid. The only way is if they snipe also but they usualy tought of the snipe price before the sniping and it's not influence by your current bid.

It seem that chondria only bid to make you paid the max.
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitzo
its a scam.

You might want to look at that
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policie...etraction.html

Quote:

A bid is a binding contract. Except under special circumstances, bid retraction is not permitted. Furthermore, misuse of the bid retraction option to manipulate the bidding process is not permitted. This includes any manipulation of the bidding process to discover the maximum bid of the current high bidder or to uncover the reserve price.

No idea how usefull ebay would be to solve this kind of problem. Hope they can do something in a timely manner.

As a side note when I put a Bid I always assumed that it going to be max out and that a fair amount I would be willing to pay.

Jul 8, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 20
You know, I wonder if you could argue that the other bid was only placed to up your max price. After all, it's Ebay's system that allowed a retractor to rebid. You might be able to argue that with Ebay and get out of the purchase if you spent too much.

Jul 8, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 20
Sorry to see that you had to go thru an auction where a bidder was just out to make the highest bidder pay close to his max bid. Chondria made a max bid of $1350 earlier this morining only to retract it 47 minutes later. I'm not sure why he had retracted it, maybe he had second thoughts about his bid and decided not to go thru with it. Stupid of him to make such a high bid in the first place.

Seeing that you had placed multiple bids for the item up to your max and you were the next hightest bidder next to him, he probably didn't even want to pay $400 for the item and decided that if he can't have it, he'll sure as hell make the winner pay for it. 47 minutes between chondria's first bid and then his retraction gives him plenty of time to study the bidding history and make his next move.

In any case I think chondria had no intention with his second bid of winning the auction because he already knew or could have make an educated guess what your proxy bid was and then decided to make you pay for it since couldn't or didn't want to seriously win the auction.

Jul 8, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #8 of 20
There was serious funny business going on there. The retraction list is a real gnoshi.

If it was me, I would contact ebay and ask for an investigation right away. Then I would refuse to pay anything above the price the lot was at BEFORE the guy who retracted started bidding again... $145. If you retract, you should be out of the game on that auction. You should have the right to refuse to bid against him if he used a retraction to see your top bid.

If I was you, I would just try to walk away from the whole deal. I think this auction is a scam. Be careful to keep ebay in the loop. I would phone them rather than do an email.

See ya
Steve

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #9 of 20
Does enyone else see it a little odd that the seller claims a location of California but lists currency units in pounds... not US$

The auction states "offered for auction by its original – and only – owner." Does this mean that seller bcowy is NOT the original owner?

Looks a little odd... I wonder if bcowy even has the unit in his posession?... or has even seen the thing in person?

Im with bigshot on this one.... looks a little fishy... maybe Im just paranoid?

Garrett

Jul 8, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #10 of 20
That Ebay auction is located in the US, wwmidia is located in the UK or was using Ebay.uk to browse it when he came across this auction. A US Ebay auction viewed on the non US Ebay will show both US and equivalent foreign currency. The price for the item shown in boldface will tell you where the seller is located.

Jul 8, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #11 of 20
thanks for all your guys kindness.

I've contacted the seller and he agreed to settle this issue by reducing the price to 325+ship, it's an acceptable price on ebay for a D555 with mint condition, I think, though not a bargain to me. I feel being fooled but the seller is innocent as well, I don't want to induce any inconvenience on his/her side.

I've already got an intention to sell D555 in this forum as well, I must say sorry to that guy because I still have obligation to fulfill my bid first.

I hope it could be a good lesson to me and anybody who is ebay-addicted.

Jul 8, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by wwmidia
I feel being fooled but the seller is innocent as well, I don't want to induce any inconvenience on his/her side.

But what if the seller and chondria are working together to force your bid up?

Jul 8, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #13 of 20
That name "twenty_first_century_living" sounds very familiar to me. I think I remember seeing his name in a similar bid retraction on another PCDP a little while ago. I think there was a similar thread here about it on head-fi. I will look around and see if I can find it. i might just be crazy though.

edit:
Found the auction, but it turns out it's the same exact one.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126143

Jul 8, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
But what if the seller and chondria are working together to force your bid up?

I don't think so, to suspect a guy without reason is not feasible on Ebay.

It looks like he is quite unhappy against me, thought I should fulfill my obligation as all the mass is not his mistake. Now he want to finish the deal. Because I told him I currently only have $350 credit until the next month. (As I did several other transaction after the failure of bidding it, who could predict all the legend?) I could understant his feeling. Obviously the problem is that he and I BOTH am legitimate to protect our rights, and the responsibility should be taken by the misconductors. But they are not traceable.

Finally I paid seller $20 to end it up. I wish he could feel better anyway.
But who help me to feel better?
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #15 of 20
You're getting ripped off.

The bidder against you was not a legitimate bidder. That means that the seller should either sell it to you for the highest price before that bidder started bidding- $145, or he should call foul, relist the item and start over.
The fact that no one else bid against either of you above $145 should tell you how much this is worth. It sure isn't worth $300 bucks.

You did absolutely nothing wrong. If the seller isn't in league with the retracting bidder, he should go after that guy for messing up his auction, not you. You shouldn't let people walk all over you like this. When you let stuff like this pass, you make it more dangerous for everyone else to deal at ebay.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back