What a disaster!
Mar 10, 2016 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
We all know about the Chernobyl nuclear power plant that exploded but I just read that the place is inhabitable for 20,000 years!

My theory is that in 20,000 years, the Chernobyl site will be preserved as a museum. There will be new houses or apartments in the area of course. Some of the old houses will most likely be preserved as relics of the ancient civilization of the 20th century. 

Anyway, in case if anyone is curious about the details of this disaster, here is a video documentary about it. It is an hour and half long though.

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 26
My theory is that in 20,000 years, the Chernobyl site will be preserved as a museum. There will be new houses or apartments in the area of course. Some of the old houses will most likely be preserved as relics of the ancient civilization of the 20th century.

You think there will be Humans left in 20,000 years? The way we are destroying the planet, the planet will be here, but I'm dubious about humans still being there.

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 26
We will be pretty miserable but as long as the sun is operating I guess it will be hard to erase us :frowning2:.

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #5 of 26
One possible thing is that there will be humans living in space colonies in 20000 years.

There may be a situation where the future humans will return to earth for a new home.

They will discover the Chernobyl site and preserve it. There will also be future shopping malls built there by the returning humans.

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #6 of 26
One possible thing is that there will be humans living in space colonies in 20000 years.

There may be a situation where the future humans will return to earth for a new home.

They will discover the Chernobyl site and preserve it. There will also be future shopping malls built there by the returning humans.

They will preserve earth as a museum ..

.. some people will ask the tour guides: "So, people REALLY lived here? How on earth.."

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

That's what the Dinosaurs' said, too :)

Well in fairness they're more vulnerable for not having opposable thumbs. A diplodocus might be big, but once a flood for example exceeds its height, it will drown. By contrast, humans can come up with boats for example.

That's not to say I think humans can survive absolutely anything, only that dinosaurs with no thumbs and no technology are not a good example to illustrate how a species with thumbs and technology (plus bigger brains than dinosaurs) can get wiped out.

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #14 of 26
Well in fairness they're more vulnerable for not having opposable thumbs..

Pretty much their own fault, IMO. When volcanoes erupt and meteorites start raining, I'll be looking for shelter, they didn't; they just stood there, gazing at the rain of lights thinking "Oooh shiiinyyy".

Their intelligence was probably comparable to people in groups. Well, now they're the laughing stock of history, but guess who had the last laugh..

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Pretty much their own fault, IMO. When volcanoes erupt and meteorites start raining, I'll be looking for shelter, they didn't; they just stood there, gazing at the rain of lights thinking "Oooh shiiinyyy"

Just because they had small brains and Hollywood shows CGI dinosaurs staring at a meteor did not mean that they didn't have the instinct to run. Even a cat fascinated by a lighter will run away from a fire in the kitchen, something I observed directly as my cat starts swiping at my lighter but the moment my skillet in the oven on broiler setting had its seasoning go on an oil fire.

Also, even if they did run, what good will that do? In my example above, diplodocus can have a long neck, but if the tsunami comes for example and it's much taller than the dinosaur, then it'll be useless. It's not like there's a diplodocus leader who just yelled "release the river!" and then tells some monkeys on its back to "hold on!" while a diplodocus on fire deliberately extinguishes the flames so he can get back to stepping on the uruks. 

Chicken-like dinos up in the mountains are safe from the tsunami, maybe, and hide out in caves, or some will fly, but what do they do when all the displaced material starts dropping? Herbivores start dying because that will kill off the plants either because they're hot or because, dinosaurs lacking opposable thumbs and human brains, aren't likely to start going in there as soon as they can walk on it to brush the ash off leaves to still allow for photosynthesis...oh, wait, there's now a cloud of dust over the entire atmosphere, so that might not even work well enough to save creatures that practically need to eat entire trees on a daily basis, if trees then were the size of trees now. Diplodocus still dies, when the last of them rots then tyrannosaurus starves. That meteor had a profound effect on the climate that reduced the oxygen concentration, thereby killing off larger animals the way that a fly probably won't feel like suffocating in the chamber movie Wade Wilson was in. Basically, the atmosphere couldn't support animals that size, no matter how much nuke-traumatized Japs would have you believe that a giant lizard bigger than T-rex can step on skyscrapers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back