What a disaster!
Mar 16, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #16 of 26
Pretty much their own fault, IMO. When volcanoes erupt and meteorites start raining, I'll be looking for shelter, they didn't; they just stood there, gazing at the rain of lights thinking "Oooh shiiinyyy".

Their intelligence was probably comparable to people in groups. Well, now they're the laughing stock of history, but guess who had the last laugh..

People get hit by TRAINS and you're criticizing dinosaurs for dying when the sky itself was dropping fire on them?

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordkapp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Protege. I checked this out. Fascinating. 

What really made me facepalm wasn't so much that it had its own Wikipedia page, but how local news here said we're topping the charts for selfie-related deaths. Googled it and found that page, and true enough, we seem to be on track to not just being selfie-capital, but getting Darwin Awards for those selfies.

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #23 of 26
Two points of interest regarding the Wiki link. 1) Notice the age ranges and 2) Wouldn't you at least empty said guns of all rounds before holding it to your head to take a pic?

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Two points of interest regarding the Wiki link. 1) Notice the age ranges and 2) Wouldn't you at least empty said guns of all rounds before holding it to your head to take a pic?

Well older people aren't really into smartphones let alone selfies, so it's not surprising that it will be younger Darwin Awards winners there. As for that gun, well, there's a reason why some people get awarded a Darwin Award. Really responsible gun owners never point guns at people unless it's a legitimate threat, and even then, they're not just going to shoot somebody in the dark for example even if it's inside their own house. Even I who has some respect for the Second Amendment (not exactly a "hurrdurrr you can't take my assault rifles!!!!" level of "respect" though) would leave some margin for a hungry hobo who just busted in to get his grimy hands on that bread on the table.

Mar 17, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #25 of 26

Just because they had small brains and Hollywood shows CGI dinosaurs staring at a meteor did not mean that they didn't have the instinct to run. Even a cat fascinated by a lighter will run away from a fire in the kitchen, something I observed directly as my cat starts swiping at my lighter but the moment my skillet in the oven on broiler setting had its seasoning go on an oil fire.

Also, even if they did run, what good will that do? In my example above, diplodocus can have a long neck, but if the tsunami comes for example and it's much taller than the dinosaur, then it'll be useless. It's not like there's a diplodocus leader who just yelled "release the river!" and then tells some monkeys on its back to "hold on!" while a diplodocus on fire deliberately extinguishes the flames so he can get back to stepping on the uruks. 

Chicken-like dinos up in the mountains are safe from the tsunami, maybe, and hide out in caves, or some will fly, but what do they do when all the displaced material starts dropping? Herbivores start dying because that will kill off the plants either because they're hot or because, dinosaurs lacking opposable thumbs and human brains, aren't likely to start going in there as soon as they can walk on it to brush the ash off leaves to still allow for photosynthesis...oh, wait, there's now a cloud of dust over the entire atmosphere, so that might not even work well enough to save creatures that practically need to eat entire trees on a daily basis, if trees then were the size of trees now. Diplodocus still dies, when the last of them rots then tyrannosaurus starves. That meteor had a profound effect on the climate that reduced the oxygen concentration, thereby killing off larger animals the way that a fly probably won't feel like suffocating in the chamber movie Wade Wilson was in. Basically, the atmosphere couldn't support animals that size, no matter how much nuke-traumatized Japs would have you believe that a giant lizard bigger than T-rex can step on skyscrapers.

Know what? I've got proof for them just standing there. Let me present evidence #1: Jerry Lee Lewis. He made a song about those great balls of fire:

Listen to the lyrics:

You shake my nerves and you rattle my brain
Too much love drives a man insane
You broke my will, oh what a thrill
Goodness gracious great balls of fire

I learned to love all of Hollywood money
You came along and you moved me honey
I changed my mind, looking fine
Goodness gracious great balls of fire

It's pretty clear to me that they fell in love with their balls, and let them smack them around in the name of love. No running there, just a whole lot of love for their balls. Ballsy move, in my opinion.

People get hit by TRAINS and you're criticizing dinosaurs for dying when the sky itself was dropping fire on them?

Yeah, well, have you ever seen trains? They weigh like a metric ton, if not two, and they come at you like a freight train ..!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back