what a direct upgrade from Sennheiser HD 558 would be
Apr 5, 2015 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BobMonkhouse

100+ Head-Fier
I don't know if it exist, but what could be a direct closest upgrade from HD 558?

It complements my funnier sounding closed back headphones really well. I like a lot its laid back balanced signature. I have nothing against the amounts of bass and mids. It's comfortable and easy to listen for hours. The only reason I want to upgrade it is the artificial and some times sharp highs. The problem is not about the amount but the harshness and sibilance. A little more refinement and details would be just a bonus.

I consider buying a Fidelio X2 but am not convinced it's what I'm after. Reports for harsh sounding highs makes me uncertain. Also, do Hifiman HE-560 have similar signature? I'm actually open for suggestions, and want to try to keep the price in the $400 range.

I listen to mostly contemporary jazz, instrumentals, blues, soul, R&B, soft and classic rock. My source is Fiio X1 DAP through Cayin C5 or Fiio E12A amps.

Apr 5, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 17
Consider the HD600. I like the Fielio X2, and don't find it bright, but rather very well balanced. My HD598 are definitely more shouty.

I found the HE560s to be bright on multiple listening occasions, even through warm tube gear. Not my cup of tea.

Just a few thoughts.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 17
I'm about to get the HiFiMAN HE-400i. (The HE-560 is much more expensive, so not sure why you mentioned it, given your budget.) My current favorite headphone is the $349 Focal Spirit Professional. It's the only headphone I've heard without any major weaknesses. It's very neutral, yet punchy and engaging, with excellent impact and physicality. The bass is nice (neutral, but strong, since actual neutral bass isn't weak) as well. It's portable and easy to drive. It doesn't have any nasty peaks in the frequency response, and as a consequence, it sounds excellent with all genres of music. I only heard the HD 558 once, but the FSP is a worthy upgrade, as long as you don't require open-back. I actually like the FSP more than more expensive open-backs.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 17
I mentioned HE-560 because if it's what I'm looking for, I'd wait until I have the money to buy it. I believe HE-400i offer more energetic and fun sound. I want an open back headphones with more relaxed sound which will send me in at least the 2nd or the 3rd row. I already have a few nice closed headphones. I think the new Oppo PM-3 can suit my tastes, but probably it's a sidegrade to my Denon AH-MM400.

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 17
I mentioned HE-560 because if it's what I'm looking for, I'd wait until I have the money to buy it. I believe HE-400i offer more energetic and fun sound. I want an open back headphones with more relaxed sound which will send me in at least the 2nd or the 3rd row. I already have a few nice closed headphones. I think the new Oppo PM-3 can suit my tastes, but probably it's a sidegrade to my Denon AH-MM400.

Have you tried removing the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558, removing the tape should improve mids, treble and surround sound/sound stage.

Here is an aftermarket cable ($18-$26) that makes it a little easier to use the HD558 with a 3.5mm jack (like the one on the FiiO X1).
It can also be ordered in one of five lengths, from 1.2m to 3.0m (I make the mistake of ordering the shortest one 1.2m, when the 1.8m would have been better).
I doubt it would make a noticeable improvement in audio quality.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=560215640802&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 17

Have you tried removing the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558, removing the tape should improve mids, treble and surround sound/sound stage.

Here is an aftermarket cable ($18-$26) that makes it a little easier to use the HD558 with a 3.5mm jack (like the one on the FiiO X1).
It can also be ordered in one of five lengths, from 1.2m to 3.0m (I make the mistake of ordering the shortest one 1.2m, when the 1.8m would have been better).
I doubt it would make a noticeable improvement in audio quality.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=560215640802&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thank you for reminding me about the mod. I've been skeptical about the outcome from this mod because AFAIK the general consensus is 598 has more prominent highs than 558 which I don't like about mine. Tonight, I felt adventurous and removed the tape from the cups. After five minutes listening I put the tape back in. The mod brought the upper mids forward, the bass got lost, and the highs became even less bearable. I know some like their 558 modded but I'm definitely not one of those.

I've had both the 558s and the 600s. and though I had the 600s about two years ago, I believe they were smoother on the upper end than the 558s.

No need to buy new 600s, just check the classifieds on this site.

Besides buying an X2, a used 600 is definitely an option for me. I just don't know if my Cayin C5 amp is going to be a good match for it.

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #9 of 17
Find a used HD 650 & you'll be good to go.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 17

I've had both the 558s and the 600s. and though I had the 600s about two years ago, I believe they were smoother on the upper end than the 558s.

No need to buy new 600s, just check the classifieds on this site.

Besides buying an X2, a used 600 is definitely an option for me. I just don't know if my Cayin C5 amp is going to be a good match for it.

I used the HD 600's out of my PC soundcard, an HT Omega eClaro, as well as out of my Sony Walkman Z1060 which is an Android device.

They sounded a bit better through my eClaro but they sounded fine through my Walkman.

This is consistent with the experience of others which is that the HD 600's are easy to drive and are forgiving of unideal source components.

I Googled the Cayin C5 and since it is a dedicated amp, I think it will work just fine with the HD 600's.

I see that the C5 has a 3.5mm headphone-out port which won't be a problem because the HD 600's cable terminates in a 3.5mm jack which has a snap-on/off 6.3mm adaptor, so just remove the adaptor, plug the HD 600's into your C5, and... enjoy.

I got my HD 600's used for about $300 and I suggest you start browsing the classifieds on this site to find similar.

And, yes, I liked the HD 600's enough to advocate them. I sold them more because I don't do much at-home listening, so I jsut wasn't using them enough.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #11 of 17
The problem is that (from what I've read around) 600/650 need a high impedance (tube) amps to sound right. Those portable amps like C5 are low impedance SS amps. I'm not there yet to start looking for a tube amp.

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #12 of 17
Bumped!

I've been listening to my new Fidelio X2 this week. They're a keeper but not as an evolving upgrade from my HD 558. They're not an all-rounder, particularly good with some recordings and not with others. They can be Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde depending on what you listen to.

From point of view of build quality, sound, enjoyment factor, X2 are a real deal - open, airy, detailed, engaging, fun, huge soundstage for me coming from HD 558 and closed cans. Balanced clean recordings sound incredible. Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over hasn't sounded better to my ears ever. It's the same with Dire Straits, ZZ Top, Enigma. Va pensiero from Nabuco sounds great. Chris Botti's trumpet and Brian Culbertson's piano can sound dry.

BUT X2 are far from balanced. They demand your attention keeping you in the first row. Often, female vocals shout in my face. Sometimes, I'm wondering how to ignore the hi-hats, cymbals, snares and to send them to the back where they belong.

I was looking for something like 558 to keep me relaxed listening to my music while reading until falling asleep, but with better overall clarity and details, and smoother improved highs.

I guess for me, the eternal question remains - HD 600 or 650 next, and whether either one will give what I'm looking for?!

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #13 of 17
The HD558 is my smoothest, most mellow, least sibilant (by a noticeable amount) headphone in my profile.  It has a polite gently rolled off treble thats pleasant for long listening sessions for me, someone who gets tinnitus ringing from treble-boosted presentations.  The 558 is one of my go-to cans with poorly mastered recordings, for those times when my other cans are like nails on chalkboard.  There are recordings that sound horrible with more detail reveling phones... less is more FTW.

I wonder if the offending treble is mastered/remastered into the recordings you are listening to?

Oops I should have read the other posts...
Anyways, the HD650 is I think a nice step up from the 558.  I'm in the 650 camp and not really a fan of the 600.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #14 of 17
Bumped!

I've been listening to my new Fidelio X2 this week. They're a keeper but not as an evolving upgrade from my HD 558. They're not an all-rounder, particularly good with some recordings and not with others. They can be Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde depending on what you listen to.

From point of view of build quality, sound, enjoyment factor, X2 are a real deal - open, airy, detailed, engaging, fun, huge soundstage for me coming from HD 558 and closed cans. Balanced clean recordings sound incredible. Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over hasn't sounded better to my ears ever. It's the same with Dire Straits, ZZ Top, Enigma. Va pensiero from Nabuco sounds great. Chris Botti's trumpet and Brian Culbertson's piano can sound dry.

BUT X2 are far from balanced. They demand your attention keeping you in the first row. Often, female vocals shout in my face. Sometimes, I'm wondering how to ignore the hi-hats, cymbals, snares and to send them to the back where they belong.

I was looking for something like 558 to keep me relaxed listening to my music while reading until falling asleep, but with better overall clarity and details, and smoother improved highs.

I guess for me, the eternal question remains - HD 600 or 650 next, and whether either one will give what I'm looking for?!

Like both of them...but for what application you're describing, the HD650s hands down.

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #15 of 17
  Bumped!

Hello there,

I'm currently using Senn HD558 at home plugged into FiiO E12A which is connected to my FiiO X3 Line out. I'm considering the Fidelio X2 just as you did after reading all about their good bass and how they compare favorably to the HD600, or even HD650, according to Tyll at Innerfidelity at least. Your comment on how they improve upon the soundstage from HD558 and the increased detail and openness is really encouraging, although that last part about harsh/ forward highs is making me stop and think again. So after about 2 months' use, how do they sound now? Is there any noticeable or perceived improvement? 

Looking forward to your thoughts,
Thanks & cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back