what a direct upgrade from Sennheiser HD 558 would be
Jun 14, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #16 of 17
I still like my X2. I was fortunate and had an opportunity to compare it to both HD 600 and 650, and to other headphones with different DACs and amps.

I still insist that the X2 appreciate good recordings and depend on music styles to sound right. The highs can sound unrefined and unnatural. HD 600 are more forgiving and have smoother highs. X2 have better layered and wider mids and more involving bass. The bass on 600 is very nice too but a little more conservative. In the end though, HD 600 and X2 sound very similar to me, the differences are not big, and it comes down to amping. X2 don't require a special amp, but benefit from a clean neutral sounding amp like an O2+ODAC for example. They don't need any coloration because the sound signature is very good. The 600 need a good amp to open up and to offer their full capabilities.

The HD 650 are very different, especially with a nice tube amp. They sound smooth like butter but the separation and clarity are very good too. But keep in mind they sounded so good connected to a Woo Audio WA2 amp. I experienced what others labeled them vailed, mudded, and lacking dynamics connected to an Auene T1 DAC/amp. The problem to me was the amp section because they sounded fantastic with the same Auene T1's DAC only feeding the WA2.

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #17 of 17
I still like my X2. I was fortunate and had an opportunity to compare it to both HD 600 and 650, and to other headphones with different DACs and amps.

I still insist that the X2 appreciate good recordings and depend on music styles to sound right. The highs can sound unrefined and unnatural. HD 600 are more forgiving and have smoother highs. X2 have better layered and wider mids and more involving bass. The bass on 600 is very nice too but a little more conservative. In the end though, HD 600 and X2 sound very similar to me, the differences are not big, and it comes down to amping. X2 don't require a special amp, but benefit from a clean neutral sounding amp like an O2+ODAC for example. They don't need any coloration because the sound signature is very good. The 600 need a good amp to open up and to offer their full capabilities.

The HD 650 are very different, especially with a nice tube amp. They sound smooth like butter but the separation and clarity are very good too. But keep in mind they sounded so good connected to a Woo Audio WA2 amp. I experienced what others labeled them vailed, mudded, and lacking dynamics connected to an Auene T1 DAC/amp. The problem to me was the amp section because they sounded fantastic with the same Auene T1's DAC only feeding the WA2.

Thanks for your impressions, appreciate it.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back