Westone Wx vs Shure RMCE-BT1
Jan 5, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #16 of 25
Just got the westone cable today, thoughts after owning the Shure BT1 for a month or so:

The good:

- sound quality is definitely better - verified in the iphone console that it's using AAC
- the painfully loud voice prompts and beeps are gone

The not as good:

- cable feels thinner and weaker, possibly won't last as long as the Shure
- no clip for attaching to my shirt and wearing it behind my neck doesn't feel right
- it doesn't support connecting to two devices at once, but you can at least have it paired with more than one device. bit of a pain but not the end of the world

overall I'm happy with it, i'll comment on battery life sometime next week

Jan 8, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #18 of 25
Well I'm now using the BT1 with SE425s in the gym.

Had the obligatory fit issues initially, but after a week of sorting the cable I've got the right ear perfect and the left ear almost there (it dropped loosened once in 30 mins of cardio).

Sound (IMO) is not as good as the standard (non-Bluetooth) Shure cable, but it's decent enough for using at the gym. It is a touch light on the bass. Maybe I should try the supplied 215 earphones? As you'd expect, it's not a patch on a balanced aftermarket cable...

Mar 25, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #19 of 25
I wrote a review on Westone WX if you're curious to read more about them :)

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.com/2018/03/westone-wx-wireless-relaxation.html

Audiophile_Heaven_Westone_WX_Review_31.jpg

May 20, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #20 of 25
I wrote a review on Westone WX if you're curious to read more about them :)

Hi, I read your review, very interesting! I cannot find a lot of reviews online for these WX, which is a shame. I've never owned any Westone but I have been interested in the brand for a while and I'd like to use the opportunity of needing bluetooth IEM for the gym to try Westone. Also i'm thinking that if I buy these I can always keep the cable and upgrade the buds themselves later for any replaceable-cable buds if I wish to.

However I am a bit confused with your review as you describe them as bassy when other reviews seems to find them quite balanced and more on the midrange/details than on the bass. Regarding bass in particular, I like quick and precise rather than strong and heavy, if you know what I mean (I guess I could say "BA-style bass" rather than "dynamic-style").

Would you by chance have any idea how they compare to IEM such as Brainwavz B2 (Fisher DBA-02), Hifiman RE0, Focal Spirit One S (headphones), Bose Soundsport Wireless, Final Audio Design Heaven 2?
And also, is the sound of the WX similar to the W10 but in a bluetooth form-factor (I can find lots of reviews of the W10 so if they're similar I can get additional information from these)?

Given that I really really like my FAD Heaven-II I suppose I'm sort of a mid-lover guy. For the gym however, I wouldn't mind something a bit more dynamic and engaging, while staying balanced overall (for example the Bose Soundsport Wireless were waaaay too bassy and not detailed enough, I found them extremely tiring). Since FAD Heaven-II are mid-forward, I suppose that a flat sound would do well for me.

Finally, since the WX seem to have been on the market for a while, do you think they still provide good value now, mid-2019, given that I can have them for 150€ (all taxes included), or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #21 of 25
Hi, I read your review, very interesting! I cannot find a lot of reviews online for these WX, which is a shame. I've never owned any Westone but I have been interested in the brand for a while and I'd like to use the opportunity of needing bluetooth IEM for the gym to try Westone. Also i'm thinking that if I buy these I can always keep the cable and upgrade the buds themselves later for any replaceable-cable buds if I wish to.

However I am a bit confused with your review as you describe them as bassy when other reviews seems to find them quite balanced and more on the midrange/details than on the bass. Regarding bass in particular, I like quick and precise rather than strong and heavy, if you know what I mean (I guess I could say "BA-style bass" rather than "dynamic-style").

Would you by chance have any idea how they compare to IEM such as Brainwavz B2 (Fisher DBA-02), Hifiman RE0, Focal Spirit One S (headphones), Bose Soundsport Wireless, Final Audio Design Heaven 2?
And also, is the sound of the WX similar to the W10 but in a bluetooth form-factor (I can find lots of reviews of the W10 so if they're similar I can get additional information from these)?

Given that I really really like my FAD Heaven-II I suppose I'm sort of a mid-lover guy. For the gym however, I wouldn't mind something a bit more dynamic and engaging, while staying balanced overall (for example the Bose Soundsport Wireless were waaaay too bassy and not detailed enough, I found them extremely tiring). Since FAD Heaven-II are mid-forward, I suppose that a flat sound would do well for me.

Finally, since the WX seem to have been on the market for a while, do you think they still provide good value now, mid-2019, given that I can have them for 150€ (all taxes included), or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Sadly, I haven't heard any of the ones you describe above...

I also haven't heard W10...

If you like a mid-forward sound, there's also Shozy IEMs that are pretty great, but if you want something thick, lush with BT, WX is quite interesting!

If the question is about BT IEMs in general, it is still worth its money. But if you are considering a BT Necklace + a normal MMCX IEM, or a FiiO BTR3 + A normal IEM, there may be other interesting options as well! :)

For example, iBasso IT01S

Oct 6, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #22 of 25
I hate taking my W30 to the gym, especially since I almost lost them twice. The W30 drivers are $400 MSRP ($200-250 replacement price used). The Westone v1 bluetooth cable is an additional $100 and the v2 cable is $150.

Then I found the Westone Wx is $150 (on sale for $99.99 in some places now). The cable is identical to the one I got with my W30 (not sure if it's a v1 or v2), so the single-driver IEM is basically free! Seemed like an awesome deal, so I picked it up at Adorama. So far, it has been great.

Anyone have an idea why I can't find the Westone Wx on Westone's site? It seems like a great entry-level IEM for anyone looking for listening at the gym or on the go. Much better alternative than getting a W10 ($249) + bluetooth cable ($150) for 4x the price!

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #23 of 25
I hate taking my W30 to the gym, especially since I almost lost them twice. The W30 drivers are $400 MSRP ($200-250 replacement price used). The Westone v1 bluetooth cable is an additional $100 and the v2 cable is $150.

Then I found the Westone Wx is $150 (on sale for $99.99 in some places now). The cable is identical to the one I got with my W30 (not sure if it's a v1 or v2), so the single-driver IEM is basically free! Seemed like an awesome deal, so I picked it up at Adorama. So far, it has been great.

Anyone have an idea why I can't find the Westone Wx on Westone's site? It seems like a great entry-level IEM for anyone looking for listening at the gym or on the go. Much better alternative than getting a W10 ($249) + bluetooth cable ($150) for 4x the price!
They were discontinued.

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #24 of 25
They were discontinued.
I get that, but why? It seems like a great product at a great price point. The only reason I see to discontinue is lack of profit at the $150 price point.

Oct 8, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #25 of 25
I get that, but why? It seems like a great product at a great price point. The only reason I see to discontinue is lack of profit at the $150 price point.
I never got a proper answer from their sales department other than they had new products on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back