Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #1,546 of 1,957
Does anyone have a comparison between the w60 with the ie800's?

W60 has quite a bit more bass and a fuller sound. 

IE800 has a larger soundstage and (as W60 treble is) much more upper end treble and a freakish amount of detail retreival.  Maybe the best of anything in my dated IEM profile.  Reminded much of the JH13 I had.

I got rid of IE800 because I wanted a "fuller" sound and keeping them fit my ears was an issue unless sitting motionless.

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #1,547 of 1,957
Would W50 or W60 have more bass than my SE846? I like more bass. I have basshead IEMs like EX800ST and ASG2.5, but would like a pair of high end IEMs which give me enough bass.  I also have Layla and K10 -the Layla is a bit muted in the highs and the K10 not enough bass (I know people would say it is not true, but you can't judge by ordinary standards when it comes to my definition of bass). Still looking for my perfect pair of bass-heavy but Hi-endish IEM, and from my memory, the Westone ES5 came pretty close. So I am wondering whether W50 / W60 is what I am looking for. Thanks guys!!

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #1,548 of 1,957
  Would W50 or W60 have more bass than my SE846? I like more bass. I have basshead IEMs like EX800ST and ASG2.5, but would like a pair of high end IEMs which give me enough bass.  I also have Layla and K10 -the Layla is a bit muted in the highs and the K10 not enough bass (I know people would say it is not true, but you can't judge by ordinary standards when it comes to my definition of bass). Still looking for my perfect pair of bass-heavy but Hi-endish IEM, and from my memory, the Westone ES5 came pretty close. So I am wondering whether W50 / W60 is what I am looking for. Thanks guys!!

Well, now since you spill more beans about your other IEMs
wink.gif
 with more reference to your preferred sound, maybe you are right and W50 will be a better choice for you because you love your bass
biggrin.gif
  Though, it also responds quite well to EQ adjustment and by cutting mid-bass you can bring it closer to W60 sound quality.

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #1,549 of 1,957

The bass on both W50 and W60 is quite different from SE846. I have the W60 and SE846 side by side with me and i do hear W60 having more bass in terms of quantity. W60 hits harder in mid bass region whilst SE846 focus primarily on sub bass. The W60 and SE846 actually complements each other really well. On certain days when you would like a more energetic and vibrant sound signature you can pick the 846. Otherwise the W60 is certainly much smoother and offers a easier listening period. I briefly tried the W50 and found the sound signature adopting the W60 traits but with more bass making it darker. Unless you have a bright sounding source, W60 is a safer bet.

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #1,550 of 1,957
  Yes, for sure...I have been loving Pro50 for 2 years now and one of it's greates features is it needs no amp.   Literally no improvements amped or unamped IMHO.    Agree...very bassy but SOOOOOOOOOO smooth.

But yes, for the less bass that W60 has it SURELY makes up for it in treble and detail retrieval.  Really, really good.  Sounds pretty perfect to my ears with the NX-1 amp.

how does the Pro50 compare to W50? I think you had that one also?

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #1,551 of 1,957

W50 for sure... I dont know about the pro50 but W50 is like wayyy too much 

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #1,552 of 1,957
The bass on both W50 and W60 is quite different from SE846. I have the W60 and SE846 side by side with me and i do hear W60 having more bass in terms of quantity. W60 hits harder in mid bass region whilst SE846 focus primarily on sub bass. The W60 and SE846 actually complements each other really well. On certain days when you would like a more energetic and vibrant sound signature you can pick the 846. Otherwise the W60 is certainly much smoother and offers a easier listening period. I briefly tried the W50 and found the sound signature adopting the W60 traits but with more bass making it darker. Unless you have a bright sounding source, W60 is a safer bet.

What filter did you utilize?

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #1,553 of 1,957

OK, I got the answer for you straight from the man who tuned ES5, W50, and W60 (Karl Cartwright himself, he kindly replied to my email).  Karl said that if ES5 is your reference, you will like W50 better compared to W60 since most of the changes in response of the W50 vs ES5 were done in the mids and highs (just smoothing the response to reduce a few peaks) while bass response remained similar.  Again, this is a response from Westone main sound designer, but in general as you know - sound perception is a subjective matter.
beerchug.gif

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #1,555 of 1,957
I owned the the W50 for one day and I found the bass to be a hideous mess.  Other than hip hop and rap it will destroy the presentation of any other music you enjoy.  Westones biggest mistake for such an expensive IEM IMHO.  Think back on how people thought how W3 bass was so overblown.  Now DOUBLE that and you have W50.  Complete headscratcher design of an IEM.  

I also agree W60 is better than SE846 for reasons mentioned.  If you are a basshead, get Pro50, NOT W50.

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #1,556 of 1,957
  I owned the the W50 for one day and I found the bass to be a hideous mess.  Other than hip hop and rap it will destroy the presentation of any other music you enjoy.  Westones biggest mistake for such an expensive IEM IMHO.  Think back on how people thought how W3 bass was so overblown.  Now DOUBLE that and you have W50.  Complete headscratcher design of an IEM.  

I also agree W60 is better than SE846 for reasons mentioned.  If you are a basshead, get Pro50, NOT W50.

Oh, you know where I stand on W50
wink.gif
  It made sense to me once I reduced the bass (a nice EQ cut around 60Hz).  But since he referenced ES5 as his preferred sound sig, and I have no idea how it sounds, I had to go to the "source" of the tuning to find out which one sounds closer
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #1,557 of 1,957

wink.gif
  It made sense to me once I reduced the bass (a nice EQ cut around 60Hz).  But since he referenced ES5 as his preferred sound sig, and I have no idea how it sounds, I had to go to the "source" of the tuning to find out which one sounds closer
biggrin.gif

I find it shameful to EQ such expensive IEM, i mean, thats the engineering job.

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #1,558 of 1,957

wink.gif
biggrin.gif

I find it shameful to EQ such expensive IEM, i mean, thats the engineering job.

I think you misunderstood me
wink.gif
  I'm a big opponent of EQing as well.  From my W50 review, I expressed my personal opinion that bass was too much to my ears and you can make it sound close to W60 by applying EQ.  But I personally think it would be a bad idea to buy W50 just so you can apply EQ to make it sound like W60 lol!!!  After all, there are hundreds of different IEMs with different sound sigs to suite ones need. 

The original discussion started when LouisArmstrong asked in various Westone threads that he loves his ES5 and wanted to get universal equivalent with a similar sound, and then narrowed it down to W50 vs W60.  So, I'm just trying to help him since I'm familiar with W50/60 sounds but never heard ES5.  My EQ remark was just a personal comment to Steve (Spyro) since we talked about it before (on and off line)
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #1,559 of 1,957
so today, I see a W60 with the word W60 on the faceplate rather than just a W, anyone wanna chime in to tell me the difference? I thought it was fake but google actually have photos of the one with "W60" on the faceplate.

Mar 1, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #1,560 of 1,957
  so today, I see a W60 with the word W60 on the faceplate rather than just a W, anyone wanna chime in to tell me the difference? I thought it was fake but google actually have photos of the one with "W60" on the faceplate.

Just a design change. We originally built the W60 with just the W on the faceplate but our customers asked to have the W60 on the faceplate. No difference other than that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back