Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #1,351 of 1,957
I'd rather westone do two things with the W line for the next upgrade.  Drop the faceplates as they are not needed and also go back to the two pin style cable that served them so well.  Between the faceplates and the socket issues I'm surprised there are not more unhappy customers at Westone.

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #1,352 of 1,957
  I'd rather westone do two things with the W line for the next upgrade.  Drop the faceplates as they are not needed and also go back to the two pin style cable that served them so well.  Between the faceplates and the socket issues I'm surprised there are not more unhappy customers at Westone.

As well as cracked shell next to the connector..

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #1,354 of 1,957
I sent my W60 off, to one of their authorised UK retailers, 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting to hear whether I will be sent replacements, as they have to verify that they are broken. I've explained, over the phone and in writing, that they are alright most of the time, but in a 2 hour listening session the sound from the right earphone might cut out for a fraction of a second 3 - 6 times ... it's not like they can just stick them in their ears and go "oh yeah, they're broken" straight away.

I agree with the comments about them sounding incredibly, and they are also extremely comfortable, but as far as I'm concerned Westone have completely killed their reputation by producing various earphones with such regular build quality issues. It frankly pisses me off that they know that these issues exist but they keep pushing the same un-fixed products out into the market.

I already tried the Shure SE846, but didn't like the sound signature, but I'm no longer a Westone fan boy and I'm looking for an alternative universal IEM that gives me the same sound quality and comfort but with better build quality and a longer life span.

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #1,356 of 1,957
I haven't had any issues with connectors, but I did have a crack in a removable faceplate that was replaced under warranty (still not sure if I tighten the screw too much or else, but personally - not a fan of these faceplates either).  Reading all the comments about the connectors, you can't discount issues people are having.

But there might be a light at the end of the tunnel.  Based on the AM Pro 30 which I have been playing with lately and BT Cable - those have all new mmcx connectors with more secure joints, not as loose when you rotate it, and overall just a better "snap" feel.  I think, and hope, Westone is listening and taking notes, and at least based on AM Pro 30 and BT Cable changes it looks like they do.

Here are a few pictures of AM Pro 30, for the reference, SOLID as a ROCK!!!

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #1,357 of 1,957
I am the director of product and Marketing for Westone and we appreciate and read all of these reviews that we see. 

What I can tell you is that we have been working on upgrades to all aspects of the build of these monitors to make them more durable without sacrificing comfort and sound quality. Although many of these subtle changes are made inside the housing they are aimed at making them better. 

What I can also share is that Westone has been working on an upgraded MMCX connector for the past 18 months in collaboration with multiple manufacturers. These connectors have already started being included in our recent product launches and you will know they are used when you see the call out to MMCX Audio (TM). This connector has been engineered to correct problems with seizures, intermittent issues and pull strength. 

This has been a tremendous undertaking as we worked to build not only the best mated combination but also a connector that makes other manufacturer's connection more reliable. There were a lot of circumstances to take into mind and solve for if you can imagine. 

As we continue to work you will see this connector live in future builds but that takes some time. In the meantime, we value our customers and will do our absolute best to solve for any issues that you have. If you are having issues with your product and are working with your local distributor I would also suggest reaching out to us directly at: https://www.westone.com/store/music/index.php/contacts/ where you can send a message or call and talk to our customer service. 

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #1,359 of 1,957
If anyone can comment on ES60 vs W60, your thoughts will be much appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.head-fi.org/products/westone-elite-series-es60/reviews/14468 - in all glory details toward the end of the review where I have comparison to other iems/ciems.

Jul 16, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #1,360 of 1,957

Shame on you westone. I just bought mine 10 days ago and I leave it on days so it get burn in and use it only on nights. But the faceplate cracks wide open. In 200$ option at least you get faceplate that won't crack this much soon. You charge 1000$ and use cheapest recycled plastic other manufacturers offer wood or even carbon fiber in this price range but you have 50 years experience in making this and made this with that experience huh? Nice job really nice job. I hope shell live for a year because I really can't go to guarantee.

Jul 16, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #1,363 of 1,957
Interesting, I've never had any problem with the housing with any of my westone IEMs, (W60 including, I only had dead drivers with UM3Xs), but even so they are quite good at replacing any defected products if they are still under warranties. Monsters was the brand that used to be well known for their bad built quality. :-S

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #1,365 of 1,957
Even sales from retail store does not recommend to buy W60 because of the built quality and said there is one customer exchanged 3 pairs in a week. I didn't listen to his advise and purchased the W60 anyway, and now I have a broken case housing earphone :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back