Westone W60 Impressions Thread
May 21, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #1,322 of 1,957
Just got my W60 today. It sounds a bit too warm at the beginning. After playing with the EQ on my Sony ZX2, with +5 on 2.5kHz and 6kHz and +8 on 16kHz frequencies, I got a very decent sound. While having the warm character, it also getting plenty of mids and highs.
Let's see how it goes after letting it burn in after the coming few days. =)

May 27, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #1,324 of 1,957
Just got my W60 today. It sounds a bit too warm at the beginning. After playing with the EQ on my Sony ZX2, with +5 on 2.5kHz and 6kHz and +8 on 16kHz frequencies, I got a very decent sound. While having the warm character, it also getting plenty of mids and highs.
Let's see how it goes after letting it burn in after the coming few days. =)

I had a similar experience. I think you will find that the longer you listen, the more you will be inclined to leave the EQ flat. There is something natural and spacious about the W60. You may want to try just lowering 128 Hz -2 or 3 dB instead of increasing the top end. I enjoyed my time with W60s but I find myself gravitating to really neutral sound.

May 27, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #1,325 of 1,957
I had a similar experience. I think you will find that the longer you listen, the more you will be inclined to leave the EQ flat. There is something natural and spacious about the W60. You may want to try just lowering 128 Hz -2 or 3 dB instead of increasing the top end. I enjoyed my time with W60s but I find myself gravitating to really neutral sound.
Interesting, let me give it a try later today. When trying to A/B with my LCD-3, I found the W60 somehow sounds like underwater due to the warmth sounding. Perhaps lowing the low end may achieve similar result with a more natural sound!

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #1,326 of 1,957
Late to the party but definitely glad I'm here!

I posted here about a year ago and ended up going with the SE846 which I still have. Love those IEM's but I'm having constant issues with comfort for extended periods. I'm still listening to metal and music that can easily get too thick very quickly. 

That said I'm enjoying these. I've been reading back in this thread and it appears I have an older revision with the W60's stamped on the side. Hopefully that's the only difference. The sound is great. Definitely laid back to the SE846 but the W60's have a grander sound. More filling/feeling. 

I'd have to say that out of the box the W60 sounds better than the SE846 did to me. Without EQ I prefer the W60. The SE846 still need to add some crispness up top because I always felt they were rolled off even with the Blue mod tip. 

I'll keep rambling on and on if I don't stop but I'm enjoying them. 

Oh and the tips are wide mouthed tips like what used to come with older style IEM's. I use old Westone foam inserts and a straw (yeah..) to help give it a better grip and I use O-Rings as spacers because they need to go just a mm deeper for the best seal. Of any tip I've ever used these are the most open and widest soundstage. It does tame down the sibilance that I'm sensitive to so they aren't as bright but they are more airy... Bass improves big time as well. Sub bass mostly. 

I've got these on every IEM I own and can't use anything else. I get the best isolation and sound out of these vs anything else. I'm tempted to try some custom tips for universals but idk.. 

EDIT: One thing I've come to realize listening to these W60's is that even if I would have grabbed these early on I wouldn't have appreciated these as much. Now that my appreciation of audio sound and not just strict appeal, I find that the subtle nuances stand out more and I listen for them moreso than before. The SE846 is more of a fun IEM and appeals to more compared to the W60 which is less popping but has more layers to the sound which with a certain level of understanding and appreciation for it could mean a better sound... I just got them today so I'm probably just still gushing over them but I still love the SE846 don't get me wrong. 

Jun 3, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #1,328 of 1,957
  I do find differences between the 846,and the W60, comfort, among others.I can insert the W60,and forget about them,,the 846,i only wear for an hour or so. My go to now, is the W60.

That has been my experience as well.  Comfort was a huge showstopper for me when I tried SE846 (mentioned in my W60 review with a detailed comparison). 

Jun 3, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #1,329 of 1,957
I haven't even began to burn them in (ear burn-in) but so far they fit almost all of my music easily and I don't hesitate to push the volume quite as much as with my SE846's which I'm more cautious about volume. Probably not a good thing but oh well. :p

I do notice some over thickness on some tracks but it's mostly just the song itself and the way it was recorded. 

I am tempted to try the custom sleeves for the SE846 but I'm still on the fence. 

Jun 3, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #1,330 of 1,957
Unless you have strange ear anatomy I could never recommend custom sleeves. The silicone tips of today are so accomodating and are so much more comfy and retain the wide soundstage.

Not only were by UM56's customs uncomfortable (hard vinyl), but the sound was completely inclusive and too much "in the head" like wired to the brain with not small but zero soundstage.

Waste of money for me.

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #1,332 of 1,957
The thing with the W60, they take out all the harshness in the music, even lower quality MP3 files, make them sound smooth as butter. Whether it's a good thing is up to the individual.

Quote:
  I do find differences between the 846,and the W60, comfort, among others.I can insert the W60,and forget about them,,the 846,i only wear for an hour or so. My go to now, is the W60.

Jun 26, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #1,334 of 1,957
I felt very unfortunate that I just have both side of my earphone cracked after putting on my new aftermarket cables..
The aftermarket cable was harder than the stock one, when I push the cable to over my ear after putting the plug in my ear, the pressure just breaks the top of the case housing..

It maybe my fault on curling the cable before I put on my ear and I shouldn't apply pressure that way, but for a $1,000 device, it just breaks too easily...
The sound wasn't affect right now and it doesn't fall apart, I hope it won't get worse..

Jun 26, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #1,335 of 1,957
I feel there are too many failures to be user caused. Perhaps Westone could offer a discount on Parts/Repairs.I did Email them, about replacement shells,but they stated, shells only come with the earphones. Why?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back