Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #226 of 1,957
I had contemplated buying from the States but that would have been 999 dollars plus presumably VAT and other import costs.
I was amazed at the price and was worried they would turn out to be the W50.But no, they are the real deal.

Yeah, I once got hit for import duty + VAT + "customs handling charge". Ouch. Never again.

Quick question - was the free delivery next day or was that extra?

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #230 of 1,957
Hmmm... since it's Amazon, that'll be super saver delivery (3-5 business days). I think this would be the perfect time to sign up for that free trial of Amazon Prime...

When I ordered next day was not available, I think the item had just gine up for sale. I paid for expedited delivery and got in 2 days for 5.99.
But yes free 30 days trial of Prime would work.
I have done that twice now so didn't want to risk a third.

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #232 of 1,957
That would be me - hopefully it will arrive in the morning 
smile.gif

Aug 22, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #237 of 1,957
I
Dammit Spyro, whatever happened to the W60 being "absolute perfection", "truly flawless", etc?

Behavioral economics is a fascinating subject. Spyro could be a case study.
Don't worry too much, the w60 are stunning iem's. I can't fault them and certainly don't have buyers remorse.
I listened to dark side of the moon the other night and it was the best I had ever heard it.
Tremendous with acoustic music as well.
You can't go wrong with the w60.
Nothing worse than a seed of doubt after making a purchase.

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #238 of 1,957
All stock sold now on Amazon UK.
It will be interesting to see what the price is when they are back in stock as I feel 599 pounds was
a great bargain.
Normally in the UK we tend to pay as if the pound and dollar were parity.
Still the pound has been somewhat stronger this year so maybe things are changing for the better.

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #239 of 1,957
Behavioral economics is a fascinating subject. Spyro could be a case study.
Don't worry too much, the w60 are stunning iem's. I can't fault them and certainly don't have buyers remorse.
I listened to dark side of the moon the other night and it was the best I had ever heard it.
Tremendous with acoustic music as well.
You can't go wrong with the w60.
Nothing worse than a seed of doubt after making a purchase.

Fortunately for me I was already sure that I wanted the W60 so in this case the seed of doubt has fallen on infertile ground.

I have to wonder what happens to these units that are returned. Surely they can't be resold as new so where do they all go?

When I got the W4 it sounded so much better than the W3, I was up until six in the morning listening to music with new ears.

DSOTM is certainly a great test piece - I am also looking forward to hearing how orchestral music sounds with the W60.  

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #240 of 1,957
I appreciate that 2 days is not really long enough but here are my impressions compared to the Shure 846 so far.
Source was AK240 through a Chord Hugo and I used the same Comply foam tips on both IEMs.

I have had the 846 since Xmas so they are truly run in and I use a double helix cable rather than the stock cable.
Interestingly I tried the same cable on the W60 and it was worse than the stock braided cable.
In terms of build quality then yes I concur the 846 are superior to the W60. However because of size the W60
win out for comfort for me. You could wear them all day with ease.
Music was:
Laura Veirs
Vic Chesnutt
Lou Reed
Cowboy Junkies
Ride
Pearl Jam
Bill Frisell
REM 
Sonic Youth
Ron Sexsmith

The 846 have the ability to grab you by the throat with a forceful and dynamic sound I have not heard from IEMs before.
The bass is incredibly deep yet not overbearing. The only criticism is that sometimes the vocals can be a little muted
on some tracks. I use the balanced filter as I prefer this to the other two choices. The bass never becomes too intrusive
and the midrange is clear.
Compared to the 846 the W60 are more subtle, the 846 are not subtle they are there to do a job and by God they do it.
So it takes a few listens to appreciate the W60 and to my ears they give a slightly wider soundstage than the 846 and I believe a slightly better vocal performance on more acoustic type tracks.
So for example Vic Chesnutt sounds better with the W60 but I feel that Pearl Jam benefit from the 846 approach.
Early REM sounded better with the W60 as I felt the wider soundstage and the ability to understand Michael Stipes vocals
gave the W60 the edge. Whereas Sonic Youth love the 846.
I detected no harshness with either the W60 or the 846 and neither pair ever lost control of the music.

I also own the Sennheiser HD800 and the Grado PS1000, however since I got the 846 I hardly ever use these with
my portable set up.

It is early days yet and I need a few hundred more hours with the W60 but so far I score both the 846 and the W60
at 9 out of 10. I am going to live with the W60 for a week then alternate with the 846 and in a couple of months it will
be interesting to see if I decide to favour one over the other.

So in conclusion, at this early stage, both are fantastic. Credit to Shure for setting the pace with the 846 and leaving most others
well behind, I sold my IE800 within days of getting the 846. Credit for Westone for raising their game with the W60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back