Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Jul 26, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #196 of 1,957
  Well im listening to my w60, ive just upgraded from the w3, and im very impressed. Really is a big improvement in detail, timbre, extension, balance and sound stage. I'm trying to find something to dislike about the sound but I just can't! Really great job westone.

Yep. This summarizes the Westone house sound and the W60. It's an all around pleaser - literally the perfect universal, just like the W4 before it. 

Jul 26, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #197 of 1,957
Yea, but with the W4...(at least for me)...

- the lower mid veil bothered me.  Overall presentation a little too dark for me.
- while the bass was nicely textured and balanced, I wanted more fullness, a little more sub effect.

W60 took care of both of those things and clearing up the lower mid veil seemed to increase the overall clarity across the board.  Like going from 720 resolution to 1080.

Not to beat a dead horse but it's truly flawless.  I would change nothing, can't find any flaws.  Absolutely love it.

Now.....no question $1000 is a lot of coin but if it is absolute perfection to your ears in a hobby you absolutely love, how is it not worth it?

Jul 26, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #198 of 1,957
Hi All,

I am happy to report back on my new cables for my W60.  I had been running silver and silver litz balanced cables out of my W60 into my Ray Samuels Intruder.  They were night and day better than stock.  The treble energy and upper midrange was a little hot though on some content.  

I  was right, the copper litz is dead bang what these IEMs needed.  The good news is that copper litz is much cheaper than silver litz.  I highly recommend these cables I purchased from Ted Allen.  Upper midrange and treble just gets a little more musical and sweeter without being colored.  

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #199 of 1,957
I am glad you found your holy grail but with all due respect I think you have to be very careful with amps and cables.

The way I look at it these engineers put thousands of hours into the design and tuning of this IEM and at this level it would be a very specific sound they are aiming for.  Sounds like your "mods" change the sound somewhat, hopefully for the better but nonetheless, it sounds like a departure from the intended sound.  At this price, If you don't like the IEM as is I would pass on it.  But hopefully it enhances is already great sound instead of changing it altogether.   Just saying.....

I bring this up because after a few days with the Topping NX1 amp I thought maybe it was too warm of a match with the already warm W60.

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #200 of 1,957
Aftermarket cables are the only way to get balanced output into the W60.   As far as balanced amps go, they don't get much better than RSA for portable use.   If I was using a single ended IEM, I would not bother with an amp.

Have you listened to a balanced setup with your W60?  It just might blow your mind.

Cheers.

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #202 of 1,957
Here is a picture of the balanced amp, Ted Allen balanced copper litz cable.  I love those carbon fiber bits on the cable.  The copper cable matches the color of the gold plate on the W60.  The picture does not really capture the color correctly...used camera phone.  

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #203 of 1,957
I've had the W60 for a few days.
Really good earphone.
Sound excellent. Like a more polished w4r, which I already thought was great.
Very comfortable for extended listening. You can have them in all day, no bother.

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #205 of 1,957
Congrats on the new Westones! 

Thanks. I have appreciated your unbiased opinion and praise of both the W60 and se846. You deserve a medal!
They do sound really great and I don't have any fancy equipment . Just a 5th gen iPod touch and note2. Also only use spotify and google play music. They are very easy to drive though.
I don't see where iem's can get much better than this. The clarity and separation are tremendous. Listened to the blade runner 30th anniversary album tonight and it really highlighted what this iem can do.
No doubt I will get the shures at some point just because they will be a bit different and everyone raves about them but the W60 will be hard to beat. The more you listen the more you appreciate just how good they make music sound.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #207 of 1,957
I have gone back and forth many times including a few other brands.  Right now I am back on the Green Silicon Star Tips...the smallest one.  Comply Foam is my second favorite atm.  Good luck and do experiment with different tips.  Also, be sure to try ones that offer shallow insertion...I prefer those to deeper insertion tips on the W60.   

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #210 of 1,957
I find the short green star tips give me the best overall sound, but I find the bass a tad boomy, even so I still use the short green true fit instead for the better isolation, and although the sound stage, mids and  treble suffer at least the bass is better and tightens up. Also find that using the longer tips for both types just messes the sound up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back