Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Jul 11, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #153 of 1,957
I will say these top end universals have a come along way over the past 2-3 years.  One of the knocks on the multi-drivers was that they were too colored, too bassy, too this, too that, etc.. but with this W60 everything is very balanced and controlled up and down the frequency range however there is a very pleasant "richness" and "fullness" which makes things so euphoric.   I can't help but to think back to W3 or TF10 and how amazing those where when released!  But this W60 (as would be the SE846) is on a whole other level or two

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #154 of 1,957
  I swear Westone designed the sound to be used with the star tips.  Sounds so perfect (versus a comply).  Any music, any genre...just so damn beautiful.   The sound is actually closer and more intimate than I thought yet the soundstage is large.  It's weird.  Like the midrange and vocals are right there in front of you 4-5 rows away but the vastness of the sound makes some instruments sound like 10 rows back.    NOT saying it is a mid centric IEM like SE846 but......just hard to explain.  4-5 rows away is pretty damn close but SE846 almost sounded like 1 seat away.  too much for me.

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #156 of 1,957
Just enjoying some Smokie Norful from my note3 connected to my cypher labs solo db & duet combo and it is straight bliss! This combo is great for the W60. Everything is so detailed and refined. the instrumental is mind blowing, sparkling without overdoing it. The W60 are winning me over!

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #157 of 1,957
I swear Westone designed the sound to be used with the star tips.  Sounds so perfect (versus a comply).  Any music, any genre...just so damn beautiful.   The sound is actually closer and more intimate than I thought yet the soundstage is large.  It's weird.  Like the midrange and vocals are right there in front of you 4-5 rows away but the vastness of the sound makes some instruments sound like 10 rows back.    NOT saying it is a mid centric IEM like SE846 but......just hard to explain.  4-5 rows away is pretty damn close but SE846 almost sounded like 1 seat away.  too much for me.

Star tips are leaps ahead of comply

Have you tried top source like Hugo or AK240. Emphasises smartphone or tablet soundstage too small and separation congested. Better than my clas -dB and pico power rig. Makes SE846 shine

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #161 of 1,957
Over time do you appreciate the sound improvements more over the w40?
I just ordered a pair and will have them in 2 weeks. I spent a lot of time deliberating between them and the se846. For me that is most certainly part of the fun.
I could still get a friend to pick up a pair of se846 whilst in New York ,which i am sure i could sell without loss in the UK if the W60 does not hit the spot. But its a bit of a hassle. Got a couple of days to think about it.

Jul 13, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #162 of 1,957
Over time do you appreciate the sound improvements more over the w40?
I just ordered a pair and will have them in 2 weeks. I spent a lot of time deliberating between them and the se846. For me that is most certainly part of the fun.
I could still get a friend to pick up a pair of se846 whilst in New York ,which i am sure i could sell without loss in the UK if the W60 does not hit the spot. But its a bit of a hassle. Got a couple of days to think about it.

Yes, there is a bigger and definite improvement over the W4 (assuming the W40 is the same as the W4 but with improved bass). The W60 is quite literally, a bigger, better sounding, W4. Sound stage is much larger. Imaging/realism of sounds is just ridiculous on these things. I mentioned this to Spyro earlier, but when you are re-listening to some of your albums, there will be moments that you will feel like you are listening to them for the very first time. The W60 is incredibly revealing, so much so that, if the album is poorly mastered, you will hear it. 

The  most important characteristic the W60 adapts from the W4/40 is that is not fatiguing at all. It is incredibility inoffensive (quite the opposite, it is sort of enveloping, for the lack of a better descriptor) - I can listen to them for hours before having to strip myself away from them. If you loved the W40s, you won't be disappointed in the performance of the W60.

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #163 of 1,957
If anyone is wondering the W60 midrange is NOT recessed in any way shape or form.  If anything I would say it leans forward a bit.  Not quite as much as the SE846 but I would consider it slightly forward versus neutral.  

And yes, Uber is correct in that the soundstage is really large on these considering the midrange is so well represented.  I hope more people get to hear these W60's.  The level of clarity and detail  with such a FULL sound is like nothing I have ever heard in a universal before.

Jul 16, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #164 of 1,957
Tried the W60, and I must say that I am impressed by it. 

Takes a while to get accustomed to the sound but once you're in there you don't wish to take it off your ears.

Jul 16, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #165 of 1,957
I am astounded by the lack of interest in the "best in class" flagship Westone universal.  I understand the price point makes it a much smaller market but having owned both SE846 and W60 back to back within a week, I emphatically prefer W60.  Yes, it is my personal preference of a sound sig but the better treble extension, refinement and overall detail retrieval has nothing to do with preference.  It is what it is.   I can only think it is because Shure basically has 2 worthwhile higher end IEM's where Westone has 5 or 6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back