Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Jul 1, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #91 of 1,957
Yes, I agree SE846 is better build, no question.  I'm just saying a super robust build is pointless if it makes them hurt or uncomfortable which I sort of find the case to be.  2 year warranty is plenty of piece of mind.  How may IEM's have you ever even kept for 2 years?  2 years from now we will be auditioning SE1000 and W100.  Lmao...

Also, great point that no one is buying the W60!!  Only 91 posts and it's been out almost 2 months?  On a flagship IEM you get 91 posts in a few days!!  I have a feeling I will much prefer it over the SE846.

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #92 of 1,957

Spook,   Sent back by SE846's in exchange for W60's.  Should have this weekend.  I look forward to sharing my thoughts on it.
I will disagree about this whole issue of build quality  UNLESS the person is careless and wreckless.
The problem with building an IEM like a tank is that it is too heavy, cumbersome and uncomfortable.  It is not a ball bearing that needs to withstand abuse....it is an expensive and fragile IEM.  I am one who treats my stuff like gold so I have NEVER had quality issues so I would much rather have a more comfy and ergonomic design. Westone makes arguably the lightest most ergonomically comfortable IEM's on the market and their quality reputation is perhaps best in class.

Yeah I'm not sure where the talk about build quality being an issue is coming from. It might be that the SE846 has super amazing build quality, but the W60 isn't brittle by any means.

As a basis of comparison, I can safely say that the build quality is at least as good as the UM line which were made in the good ole USA (and very solidly made), and definitely better than the W4. I've been rediscovering all of my music since I got the W60 and neglected to post some comparison photos, but below are some that I took comparing the W60 against the W4 and the UM3X RC.

I originally took these photos because another poster claimed the stem of the W60 was shorter than the W4, and as a result, had problems with the tips sliding off. The stems are of the exact same length, and I've had no issues with the tips sliding off or anything coming loose. The W60 is rock solid in all regards. 

I'm picking up the SE846 soon, and will post comparison photos and my opinions on how they sound, when I'm not busy having aural orgasms.

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #94 of 1,957

Sent back by SE846's in exchange for W60's.  Should have this weekend.  I look forward to sharing my thoughts on it.

Wish you could have kept them both to do side by side. Still, I think I have a pretty good idea what hte SE846 will sound like. 

I really dont' think I'll be touching the W60 till it comes down in price :frowning2:

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #95 of 1,957
I guess we all have different ears, to me, Westone's IEMs are the most comfortable, SE846 aren't bad at all but if the cable and the ear rests weren't so stiff, I wouldn't be able to keep them in my ears for long.

SE846 are built like a tank, they'll probably survive even if they got run over by a lorry, but they are heavy but not too uncomfortable to wear, but nowhere near as comfortable as Westone IEMs in general. But then do they need to be built that tough? I used many of my IEMs while commuting and at the gym, daily, the only ones that actually broke physically were my Shure SE530, of which one of the sound tubes broke off and the cable snapped, within 9 months of use; and my Monster turbine copper, the casing just split opened with 2 weeks but I was able to just glue it back together. I had dead drivers with my UM3xs, but never had problems with the driver casings.

Although the W60's treble extension is more so than the SE846, I actually find them less fatiguing. In fact the W60's treble is so smooth even low resolution mp3 files aren't harsh sounding as they should be, which could be a good thing or not to some. I personally think it's quite pleasant to listen to, and with the wide soundstage, it almost sounds surreal for some music genres.

Spyro, the build quality is much lower. No doubt. Fit, finish and so on are much lower. Like you, I place heavier weight on what matters. So while spook is proabably right that I was generous in my build quality grade...I stand by it.

One thing I will be curious about is insertion angle of the nozzle. I feel like the 846 has a more natural angle and length. The W60 is a steeper angle that caused some early issues.

Finally, my recommendations as a W60 fan are: shorter tips for shallower insertion, foam tips if you don't get bass from silicons, and finally to spend time with them. My impressions changed more with these iems over longer term ownership. Initially, I did not like them. I am sure it was Brain burn in.

I wish you the best on the W60s if for no other reason than nobody else seems to own or care about these really good IEMs.

As for the direct comparison to the SE846, the treble extends materially further but on a some tracks it was either sibilant (male vocals only) or too hot (the cymbal's shimmer became sizzling). Further, because of the sizzle I found the W60 more fatiguing than the 846 in extended listening sessions. Those criticisms aside, the treble is better on the W60s than the 846s with corresponding greater detail but a bit less coherent.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #97 of 1,957

Wish you could have kept them both to do side by side. Still, I think I have a pretty good idea what hte SE846 will sound like. 

No need to.  It will be easy.  The SE846 sound is permanently etched into my mind.  I should have known better.  There is just something about the tonality of the Shure upper midrange that doesn't agree with me.  I won't call it harsh or grainy....it's just a little tough on the ears...can't put my finger on it.  Plus I just don't care for forward midranges which exacerbates the issue.  Same thing with SE535.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #98 of 1,957
Spyro- love that you know what you like.  So many people waste money without direction. I have done a bit of that myself.  I am getting honed in on what I really like myself.  I am thinking the son/daughter of the 846 and W60 would be a real treat.  If anyone knows where to find that missing child, speak up!

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #99 of 1,957
  Spyro- love that you know what you like.  So many people waste money without direction. I have done a bit of that myself.  I am getting honed in on what I really like myself.  I am thinking the son/daughter of the 846 and W60 would be a real treat.  If anyone knows where to find that missing child, speak up!

Yeah, seriously!

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #100 of 1,957

I was taking a hard look at W50 to save $250 but it is suppose to be REALLY warm and bassy.  I'm sure it's a "wow" moment or two but I know I would be missing some pristine clarity.  I'm hoping W60 is my end game like it seems it is for so many SE846 fans.  I am hoping for once I can say there is positively absolutely NOTHING I would change with the sound sig of an IEM.    It seems I can point to a fault in every single IEM in my sound sig (except maybe JH16).

I will have them Monday and post comments Tuesday.

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #103 of 1,957

I really dont' think I'll be touching the W60 till it comes down in price :frowning2:

Hah, it's not even available (as far as I can tell, williing to be corrected) in the uk yet.  Guess it will be the good ole $>£ again :frowning2:

10% off at earphonesolutions any good to you?

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #104 of 1,957
Hi All- I have silver, silver litz balanced cables from Ted Allen/Headphone Lounge.  I just spoke with Ted earlier today and now have the Copper Litz cables with the trick carbon fiber Y splitter and connector being built.  

I will report back on sound but have a theory that copper litz on the the W60 will be more to my liking.  If any of you are considering silver or copper cables, you should check out Ted Allen.  He can terminate balanced or stock/single-ended if you prefer.  

I will post a picture and impressions once I receive them and spend some ear time with them.

Cheers.

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #105 of 1,957
If anyone is interested in I got a link for a W60 from an authorize dealer for $775. In the past when, I've gotten these links for a W4, I've been able to buy more than one so have picked them up for headfiers. That's incredible price, and I think I lucked out on it because they beat a sale price, and I'm not even sure whether the W60 was meant to be on sale.

Anyways, It looks like US Priority insured with signature confirmation is $25 to a US address.  Express Mail International insured is $50. If any wants a new W60, I'm happy to pick one up for you, if you cover the cost, shipping to your address and paypal fees.  I've got till Tuesday mornign to use the link. PM me if you're interested. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back