Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Feb 7, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #1,231 of 1,957
I don't know, I personally love the um3x/pro30 and am still using them more than all my other IEMs put together. To me, the W60 are great, but they sound too good, they make lesser quality music files sound better and smoother than what they really are.

So typical... 2 fanboys of a cheaper and by far inferior IEM sugarcoating each other's their cheaper product and thereby justifying their buy. Same thing like that guys in a Renault forum confirming each other how much better their Lagune is compared to a Mercedes S600.....

A Westone W60 is in a completely different league. Period.

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #1,232 of 1,957
Having a hard time deciding which route to take:

1. Get the W30 & UM PRO 30
2. Get the W60

If i go with option 1 I would be able to switch between the W30 (when i need more air/breathing space/soundstage) and UM PRO 30 (when i need the extra bass punch and in-your-face mids)

If i go with option 2 I would be able to enjoy the probably in-between of the W30 and Pro 30, bass punch (though not as powerful as the pro 30), wide sound stage, and very pleasantly sweet mids. 

I've divided this 2 options due to budget. I can only afford either 1 W60 or W30+PRO 30.. 

what do you guys think? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #1,233 of 1,957
  Having a hard time deciding which route to take:

1. Get the W30 & UM PRO 30
2. Get the W60

If i go with option 1 I would be able to switch between the W30 (when i need more air/breathing space/soundstage) and UM PRO 30 (when i need the extra bass punch and in-your-face mids)

If i go with option 2 I would be able to enjoy the probably in-between of the W30 and Pro 30, bass punch (though not as powerful as the pro 30), wide sound stage, and very pleasantly sweet mids. 

I've divided this 2 options due to budget. I can only afford either 1 W60 or W30+PRO 30.. 

what do you guys think? 
smily_headphones1.gif

I think it would also depend on your source.  W60 is more resolving with a better retrieval of details.  If you are using smartphone as your source or some budget DAP, sometime higher end UIEM will not shine as much as when using summit-fi quality DAP or top quality usb DAC.  There always be a difference, but it could vary from subtle to a more noticeable.  I have a number of DAPs in my review collection, but typically use only a handful of higher resolution sources.  Once you start dealing with higher end monitor (if properly tuned, multi-driver design is not a gimmick) and high end replacement cables, it's hard to go back to mid-fi sources.

Feb 9, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #1,234 of 1,957

what do you guys think? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Get the W60 and just setup some EQ profiles. It can be airy or lush with a very light EQ adjustment. Only thing it doesn't do well imho is basshead sound.

Feb 9, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #1,235 of 1,957

I think it would also depend on your source.  W60 is more resolving with a better retrieval of details.  If you are using smartphone as your source or some budget DAP, sometime higher end UIEM will not shine as much as when using summit-fi quality DAP or top quality usb DAC.  There always be a difference, but it could vary from subtle to a more noticeable.  I have a number of DAPs in my review collection, but typically use only a handful of higher resolution sources.  Once you start dealing with higher end monitor (if properly tuned, multi-driver design is not a gimmick) and high end replacement cables, it's hard to go back to mid-fi sources.

Thanks, forgot to mention I will be using the xperia z3 compact as my main source for now and upgrade to the lg v10 later on. Currently I'm using the Westone 3 as my main iem. 

Get the W60 and just setup some EQ profiles. It can be airy or lush with a very light EQ adjustment. Only thing it doesn't do well imho is basshead sound.

Used to be a basshead, now I'm just moderate. Auditioned the W60 before, and was pretty satisfied with the amount of bass it produces as compared to the W50 which had a little too much bass I could handle. Also tested the W40 but found it to be lacking in bass quantity. As for the W30, if my memory is right, it has slightly more bass quantity than the W40. Therefore I've decided to narrow my choice to these 3 iems: Westone W30, UM 30 Pro, and W60. I did also auditioned the um 50 pro, but i find the presentation and signature different from the others and slightly weird. And as I'm currently using the Westone W3, I have a pretty clear decision in what I want. I need something that has no mid bass hump, better control in the highs/no sibilance and better detail in the mids (all of which i think is the W3's weakness). I would also like something that has similar bass quantity as the W3. The UM 30 PRO has almost everything which I desire, except that the soundstage is far too narrow for my taste.. It feels like I've just left a sauna room after 30mins in there, and feel the cool air next to a swimming pool (when switching from the UM 30 PRO to the W30/W60) if that makes sense. So If i were to get the UM30pro i'd have to get another iem to complement it

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #1,236 of 1,957

Thanks, forgot to mention I will be using the xperia z3 compact as my main source for now and upgrade to the lg v10 later on. Currently I'm using the Westone 3 as my main iem. 

Used to be a basshead, now I'm just moderate. Auditioned the W60 before, and was pretty satisfied with the amount of bass it produces as compared to the W50 which had a little too much bass I could handle. Also tested the W40 but found it to be lacking in bass quantity. As for the W30, if my memory is right, it has slightly more bass quantity than the W40. Therefore I've decided to narrow my choice to these 3 iems: Westone W30, UM 30 Pro, and W60. I did also auditioned the um 50 pro, but i find the presentation and signature different from the others and slightly weird. And as I'm currently using the Westone W3, I have a pretty clear decision in what I want. I need something that has no mid bass hump, better control in the highs/no sibilance and better detail in the mids (all of which i think is the W3's weakness). I would also like something that has similar bass quantity as the W3. The UM 30 PRO has almost everything which I desire, except that the soundstage is far too narrow for my taste.. It feels like I've just left a sauna room after 30mins in there, and feel the cool air next to a swimming pool (when switching from the UM 30 PRO to the W30/W60) if that makes sense. So If i were to get the UM30pro i'd have to get another iem to complement it

how about W40 and some EQ's or just go to the W60, I still have mine and I love it! I think I would have to sell my Beyer T1 before I sell my W60

or you can try a W30/UM30 with an impedance adaptor, I swear it does enhance the sound stage,  not sure if it just my head or what.

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #1,237 of 1,957

how about W40 and some EQ's or just go to the W60, I still have mine and I love it! I think I would have to sell my Beyer T1 before I sell my W60

or you can try a W30/UM30 with an impedance adaptor, I swear it does enhance the sound stage,  not sure if it just my head or what.

Am personally not a fan of EQ, if i were to bump it up by +1 or +2 db it's fine but if I have to exceed those I have never succeeded in getting the right signature without destroying/clouding certain parts of the sound spectrum. 

Yeah, I'm leaning more to the 1 single W60 route. The slight warmness it has compared to the W30 is alluring. Also there is something about the mids that's just unique to the W60. It just melts my ears away..

Have never tried the Beyer T1, but it's amazing that you prefer the W60 over the Beyer Cans. 

Feb 11, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #1,238 of 1,957
If anyone is still searching for W60 --> I offer a new and unused pair for 675 EUR plus shipping inside the EU. Background is that I have 2 pairs of them, one is my own and the second one was intented as a present for an important business friend. Now that business present is obsolete as I stopped trading with his company... if someone is interested, please PM.

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #1,240 of 1,957
  Got my W60 last week, loving them. Trying to find better eartips, does anyone have recommendations? Anyone tried the Sony Hybrids eartips? 

I would go with Spinfits for the cheaper option. If you really want to spend some money and get some really nice sound, the UM56 custom tips are the way to go. I have a pair of the Westone UM56 tips and its hard to live without them. In fact, I don't use my Westones without them.

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #1,241 of 1,957
Got my W60 last week, loving them. Trying to find better eartips, does anyone have recommendations? Anyone tried the Sony Hybrids eartips? 

Sony hybrids have a wide bore opening, you will need a spacer sleeve, cutting off and using one of the original Westone tip cores to make it work, and results are not really that great. What don't you like about stock tips? For example, my gripe was using the largest "orange" marked tip which pushed W60 and UM Pro 50 out of my ear, so I switched to Shure silicone olive tips.

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #1,242 of 1,957
  I would go with Spinfits for the cheaper option. If you really want to spend some money and get some really nice sound, the UM56 custom tips are the way to go. I have a pair of the Westone UM56 tips and its hard to live without them. In fact, I don't use my Westones without them.

Do the spinfits provide a proper seal better then the w60's stock tips to you? I would like to try all universal tips before going for custom tips as it is quite a hassle and the price is also kindda steep.

Sony hybrids have a wide bore opening, you will need a spacer sleeve, cutting off and using one of the original Westone tip cores to make it work, and results are not really that great. What don't you like about stock tips? For example, my gripe was using the largest "orange" marked tip which pushed W60 and UM Pro 50 out of my ear, so I switched to Shure silicone olive tips.

Thanks for the info! Guess I will skip the sony hybrids. About the stock tips, I've so far managed to gain a perfect seal with the orange and blue tips. The rest either boosted certain parts of the frequency too much or just did not fit properly. That said, although the orange and blue tips provided a perfect seal, they were far too uncomfortable for my liking. The blue tips even caused my ears to ache after awhile. 

How are the shure silicon olive tips to you? Did they provide a better seal and comfort experience than the stock westone tips?

Feb 18, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #1,243 of 1,957
If anyone is still searching for W60 --> I offer a new and unused pair for 675 EUR plus shipping inside the EU.

Background is that I have 2 pairs of them, one is my own and the second one was intented as a present for an important business friend. Now that business present is obsolete as I stopped trading with his company... if someone is interested, please PM.

Feb 18, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #1,244 of 1,957
Ok I think i missed out the green foam tips, I now have the perfect seal with maximum comfort! And I think with the orange and blue tips I was still not getting the perfect seal as with these green foam tips, I get the extremely smooth and lush mids and high with the warmness of the sub bass that was missing when I was using the blue and orange tips for the past week. They sound ALOT different now. They are truly as you guys had said, fussy with ear tips ROFL. Did not noticed such a big difference when i was using my W3 with different ear tips. 

Feb 18, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #1,245 of 1,957

Thanks for the info! Guess I will skip the sony hybrids. About the stock tips, I've so far managed to gain a perfect seal with the orange and blue tips. The rest either boosted certain parts of the frequency too much or just did not fit properly. That said, although the orange and blue tips provided a perfect seal, they were far too uncomfortable for my liking. The blue tips even caused my ears to ache after awhile. 

How are the shure silicon olive tips to you? Did they provide a better seal and comfort experience than the stock westone tips?

I need to use the largest tips for the best seal, and with Westone tips they are a bit too long, making shells stick out a bit.  Shure tips give me the same seal, but they are shorter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back