Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #1,801 of 1,957
1000 euros / Dollars

There are a lot of DAPs that will pair up great with W60, and you will get more details with your x5ii by upgrading from W30 to W60. But if you want to step it up and to stay with FiIO, I would recommend X7ii, if you care about wifi/streaming, bluetooth, Google Play. Plenue R is great if you don't care about streaming, but prefer extended battery life and bluetooth, plus DSP effects to shape the sound. Hiby R6 is excellent, but you can only buy it now through IndieGogo crowdfunding campaign, and you will also need iEMatch adapter for it, since DAP has 10 ohm output impedance. But I seriously encourage you not to buy anything yet. Once you get your W60, spend some time listening with your X5ii. Right now you want more neutral details based on your W30 as a reference. Going to W60 will give you that with X5ii. Then, if you want to upgrade, you can consider options I mentioned above.

Mar 24, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #1,804 of 1,957
I did some listening
I find them airier than the acute treble w30
the voice takes less the upper hand it is more distinct
a better distribution of sound
not tiring has worn

Is this your impression using X5ii DAP? See, you are hearing an upgrade already by going to a different IEM. Just my opinion, when you are upgrading audio setup, do it one element at a time to get a better idea of the changes. You kept the same source, while upgraded the IEM, no spend a few weeks getting to know this setup. ALSO, don't forget to try switching between next smaller or bigger eartips. By controlling the seal, you can change the tonality. Source will be the next update, if you need to.

Mar 26, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #1,806 of 1,957
I should say these are only W30’s but this is a more active thread and this is still somewhat relevant considering the poorly constructed plates on the W Series headphones. I got tired of sanding so this is my lazy first step but I’ll probably sand it more thoroughly and with higher grit paper and then do the other. Then I might either add a clear coat or paint it then clear coat it.
4B32C6A1-FFC9-4A69-994A-868F7608072A.jpeg
AC60F5C0-8BFF-4F65-B5F3-637732F64207.jpeg

Mar 26, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #1,807 of 1,957
I should say these are only W30’s but this is a more active thread and this is still somewhat relevant considering the poorly constructed plates on the W Series headphones. I got tired of sanding so this is my lazy first step but I’ll probably sand it more thoroughly and with higher grit paper and then do the other. Then I might either add a clear coat or paint it then clear coat it.

Wait, you made your own? That's pretty cool. You should customize it with some artwork, like CIEMs :wink: Btw, you do know there is a company which makes and sells metal plates for W-series on Amazon for $50? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074J8LV1F

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #1,808 of 1,957
2B9A652E-00DA-497E-87F4-23D42024896E.jpeg
5B856A96-DE31-4BF5-8670-989499A844D3.jpeg
Wait, you made your own? That's pretty cool. You should customize it with some artwork, like CIEMs :wink: Btw, you do know there is a company which makes and sells metal plates for W-series on Amazon for $50? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074J8LV1F
Haha, sorry I forgot to mention these are those plates on Amazon. I just sanded them down. When I figure out what I’d like to add to them I’ll probably paint them.

I only had up to 600 grit sand paper on me so I’d like to get higher grit and polish them for now. I did do the second one just now too.

Mar 29, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #1,810 of 1,957
I've got one pair of covers left, I'll be siliconing these on :wink:

the original Westone ones? Wonder what it does to the warranty, though if you got only 1 pair left, i assume you are outside of 2 year warranty (otherwise they would send you a free replacement?). I never thought about it, interesting idea :D

Mar 29, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #1,811 of 1,957
A43E3EC2-C40D-40F4-9534-EDE690CD2FF8.jpeg
I've got one pair of covers left, I'll be siliconing these on :wink:

I just got a replacement sent since one of my plates came cracked. The metal one the plates I got from Amazon have started to oxidize and have a nice gunmetal look to them now but I'm going to plastidip them black until I figure out what I want to do with them.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #1,813 of 1,957
I enquired about this recently and Westone told me that replacement faceplates can be purchased for $5 each plus shipping.

All the ones I've used cracked after 3 months and 2 fell off completely after around 6 months. That's treating them gently.

Hang on these cost me approx $750 and the faceplates are worth a few bucks :astonished:

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #1,814 of 1,957
the original Westone ones? Wonder what it does to the warranty, though if you got only 1 pair left, i assume you are outside of 2 year warranty (otherwise they would send you a free replacement?). I never thought about it, interesting idea :D

If I don't stick them on they will fall off at some point and the iem's will look very cheap (though they do sound good). Mine aren't close to being out of warranty but it would cost too much posting them to the US. I won't be buying the W80 because of the faceplate issue and the fact they don't come with a balanced cable.

Update: A balanced cable isn't always necessary. Some top dac's don't even need them.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #1,815 of 1,957
I will talk to my customer service team because you shouldn't have to purchase a faceplates that have cracked under normal use.

If you or anyone on here ever have a problem getting replacements you should PM me. We may ask for a photo and the serial number but we will take care of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back