Westone w40 short review, includes pictures.
Feb 15, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #256 of 270

I don't believe so, but better double check with the official Westone rep @BKG22.

They currently do not have the MMCX audio connection but they do have mated pairs. To date, the W series has the least amount of returns and a very low defect rate on the MMCX. 

We will be placing this connector in the W-series by years end and will update the packaging and website at the time but I would not hesitate buying this unit in the mean time as it is extremely unlikely that you would have any issue with the connector. 

Thanks for the prompt response.

Aug 24, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #257 of 270
i just got mine 3 weeks ago i loe the sound i downed the mid bass a bit and they sound crystal clear wth the rigt amount of bass and the mids are superb along with teh vocals, my only gripe is the comfort. I read that these IEMs are one of the most confortable ones but i can't keep listening to music using them as i feel sore on the back of my ear along with the top of the canal. i tried all the foam tips provided yet i think the shure se215 are more confrtable :frowning2: i havent used teh sicione tips as i dont want the sound signature to change, maybe i'm apprehending somthing that wont happen?

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #258 of 270
i just got mine 3 weeks ago i loe the sound i downed the mid bass a bit and they sound crystal clear wth the rigt amount of bass and the mids are superb along with teh vocals, my only gripe is the comfort. I read that these IEMs are one of the most confortable ones but i can't keep listening to music using them as i feel sore on the back of my ear along with the top of the canal. i tried all the foam tips provided yet i think the shure se215 are more confrtable :frowning2: i havent used teh sicione tips as i dont want the sound signature to change, maybe i'm apprehending somthing that wont happen?

Oh, you have to try silicone tips, it will be a big difference! First of all, at least how I hear it, foam tips attenuate some upper frequencies which makes perception of bass go up. Silicone tips will make sound a little more balanced. Another thing, Westone silicone star tips will feel more comfortable if you find your ears getting soar with their foam tips. They are not exactly the softest, and I think that's a reason why you are having some issues with comfort. Just reset your Eq to flat, and go back and compare the same size foam tip against the silicone one (just go by the same color of the inner core so you know it's the same size). Also, in some cases, myself including, I use the largest silicone eartip and Westone is a bit too long for my shallow ear canal, so I switched to using Shure olive silicone tip which is not as deep.

But definitely, try silicone tips. You will hear the difference in sound and will experience more comfort in fit.

Aug 24, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #259 of 270
Oh, you have to try silicone tips, it will be a big difference! First of all, at least how I hear it, foam tips attenuate some upper frequencies which makes perception of bass go up. Silicone tips will make sound a little more balanced. Another thing, Westone silicone star tips will feel more comfortable if you find your ears getting soar with their foam tips. They are not exactly the softest, and I think that's a reason why you are having some issues with comfort. Just reset your Eq to flat, and go back and compare the same size foam tip against the silicone one (just go by the same color of the inner core so you know it's the same size). Also, in some cases, myself including, I use the largest silicone eartip and Westone is a bit too long for my shallow ear canal, so I switched to using Shure olive silicone tip which is not as deep.

But definitely, try silicone tips. You will hear the difference in sound and will experience more comfort in fit.

The thing is i don't want to lose the bass :) i tried the silicone tips and immediately noticed the toned down bass. I tried the green colours as that's the smallest. Others are too tall or too big. I'm trying again tomorrow and see how it goes but i will definately not settle for the foam. I have the shure tips o will try them as well

Aug 24, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #260 of 270
The thing is i don't want to lose the bass :) i tried the silicone tips and immediately noticed the toned down bass. I tried the green colours as that's the smallest. Others are too tall or too big. I'm trying again tomorrow and see how it goes but i will definately not settle for the foam. I have the shure tips o will try them as well

yeah, you have to go to a bigger size eartip to improve the seal in order to keep that bass. Shure tips will fit, the nozzle is the same diamter, and they are shorter. Maybe try gray silicone westone tip, it's relatively short and medium size. For sure, it will be more comfortable than foam.

Aug 24, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #261 of 270
yeah, you have to go to a bigger size eartip to improve the seal in order to keep that bass. Shure tips will fit, the nozzle is the same diamter, and they are shorter. Maybe try gray silicone westone tip, it's relatively short and medium size. For sure, it will be more comfortable than foam.

Thought a bigger one will let some aor in and will not provide a good sound overall but you are More knowledgeable than me so I'll trust you on this one and see how out goes

Aug 24, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #262 of 270
Thought a bigger one will let some aor in and will not provide a good sound overall but you are More knowledgeable than me so I'll trust you on this one and see how out goes

It's all about bore opening in the eartip, it's not going to change much, what changes is the outer cap of the eartip to "fill in" the space of your earcanal. The bigger one will mean a bigger cap or the bigger foam portion of it. It's the easiest "mod" you can do, tip rolling to find the one which gives you the most comfortable fit and the best seal. And you can do the same, by controlling the seal, to relax the fit and lower the bass impact.

Sep 3, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #264 of 270
Hi, I’ m currently a Westone w40 owner, but planning to upgrade to a iem that’s natural and balanced. Which one would you guys recommend? Maybe Andromeda by Camp Audio?

Why not W60 2nd gen?

Sep 3, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #266 of 270
Sep 6, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #267 of 270
Has any one repaired the W40s? This ear piece cracked open and when that happened one wire from the female MMCX connector broke, so I've replaced both with enameled copper wire (30AWG). Problem now is I think I may be missing a jumper wire or something because I'm not getting sound out of the high end balanced armatures. It doesn't quite sound like the right ear when I put them on.

Pic
http://imgur.com/gallery/F6uAKJc
20200906_011538.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #269 of 270
Has any one repaired the W40s? This ear piece cracked open and when that happened one wire from the female MMCX connector broke, so I've replaced both with enameled copper wire (30AWG). Problem now is I think I may be missing a jumper wire or something because I'm not getting sound out of the high end balanced armatures. It doesn't quite sound like the right ear when I put them on.

Pic
http://imgur.com/gallery/F6uAKJc20200906_011538.jpg

While I don't encourage others to do their own diy repairs (have to put this as a disclaimer lol!), in your case, did you check it with multimeter across two wires going to mmcx connector? If everything is soldered and connected in series correctly and there are no cold solder joints, you should get some reasonable low resistance reading which I assume will correspond to impedance of iem spec?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back