Westone w40 short review, includes pictures.
Mar 12, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #137 of 270
You guys have to try the W40's with the new FiiO E12A. Amazing sound. This IEM needs the extra juice to show it's full potential. 50% improvement in my opinion.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/683099/new-westone-w-series/750#post_11400431

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #138 of 270
It does make for a sweet sounding combination. I have an X5 coming in next week and I'm looking forward to finding out how the W40's sound straight from the X5 and then from the X5 & E12A combo. 

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #140 of 270
I don't know not having ever having heard that combination but some on the X5 thread say that the E12A improves upon the X5...we'll see. 

Mar 18, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #142 of 270
Funny stuff, I was coming back to this thread to post about my new acquisition of the X5/E12A combo and my experience with both the W40s and the W4Rs. I was previously using an iPhone 5S. Both IEMs are improved with the setup but I find the W4Rs to have a much greater improvement. It seems to me like the W4Rs need amplification much moreso than the W40s. The main reason I prefer the W4Rs is it has more soundstage. The setup also really improves the bass of the W4Rs.
  A reviewer and friend of mine tested them and says there's absolutely no difference. But well, its just his opinion. We'll see. Please let me know, I'm getting the X5 soon : )

There is some difference, although it might not be worth it for some. I am a musician and also a very sensitive listener, so to me the small difference is enough of an improvement to make it worth it for me. I do notice more improvement with my Sennheiser PC 350's and the W4Rs, however.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #143 of 270
  Funny stuff, I was coming back to this thread to post about my new acquisition of the X5/E12A combo and my experience with both the W40s and the W4Rs. I was previously using an iPhone 5S. Both IEMs are improved with the setup but I find the W4Rs to have a much greater improvement. It seems to me like the W4Rs need amplification much moreso than the W40s. The main reason I prefer the W4Rs is it has more soundstage. The setup also really improves the bass of the W4Rs.
There is some difference, although it might not be worth it for some. I am a musician and also a very sensitive listener, so to me the small difference is enough of an improvement to make it worth it for me. I do notice more improvement with my Sennheiser PC 350's and the W4Rs, however.

Westone says they are the same with different connector...maybe its in your head?

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #144 of 270

Westone says they are the same with different connector...maybe its in your head?

Who at Westone said that? The person I talked with at Westone said they are different, indicating that the sound of the W40s is (supposed to be) better. The reason I have both W40 and W4R is because they messed up my warranty so they sent me both.

I did a side by side comparison this morning to be sure. The mid range and mid bass are increased with the W40s and this decreases the soundstage. The W4R are slightly more neutral, but not neutral by any means. I prefer the increased soundstage of the W4R, whereas before amping my signal I preferred the brightness of the W40s.

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #146 of 270
Hi, just ordered W40 for my AK120II.
I want to listen balanced, but the stock cable doesn't provide that.
What is the most comfortable aftermarket balanced cable for W40?

Mar 21, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #147 of 270
  Who at Westone said that? The person I talked with at Westone said they are different, indicating that the sound of the W40s is (supposed to be) better. The reason I have both W40 and W4R is because they messed up my warranty so they sent me both.

I did a side by side comparison this morning to be sure. The mid range and mid bass are increased with the W40s and this decreases the soundstage. The W4R are slightly more neutral, but not neutral by any means. I prefer the increased soundstage of the W4R, whereas before amping my signal I preferred the brightness of the W40s.

Law87 is right.  I think we have been through this a million times (or at least a dozen).

W4R versus W40:  Cable is identical.  W40 has more mid bass which crowds or shrinks the soundstage.  As much of a bass head that I am, I actually think the original W4 is a technically better sounding IEM.  There is an original wow factor going to W40 and I know I praised it quite a bit but W4 was pretty unique

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #148 of 270
I just received my W40s today from BuySonic. I was really looking forward to these based on a number of good reviews. I'm using an Astell & Kern AK100 II for my source with very high-quality and many high-res rips as content. I listened to them at first with whatever Star Tips come installed on the W40s out of the package. First piece of music I listened to was some classical music, and I was impressed with the W40s imaging, and reproducing the "woody" timbres of cellos and violins. While the bass detail and articulation was excellent, compared to my reference Shure SE535s, however, I though the mids were a bit recessed and the highs were too laid-back. Given that I've read that the highs on W40s could be a bit sibilant on some materal, I was surprised to find the highs rather recessed. I tried a number of different songs as content, ranging from rock (Gary Clark, Jr) to jazz (Ella Fitzgerald, Shelby Lynne and Kenny Burrell) and compared to my SE535s, while the W40s sounded good, the overall presentation was darker and didn't have the presence and PRaT as with the Shure SE535s. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with the W40s, as the SE535s, on the whole, were better-sounding than the W40s. 

I then decided to try some different ear tips to see the effect they would have. I first tried the narrow, longish medium radius gray Westone foam tips and much to my surprise, I noticed an immediate improvement in the highs and top-end. While the upper mids and highs were more  extended and airy, the bass wasn't as developed or as full as with the Star tips. I then tried the smaller, rounded Westone foam tips and noticed that more mid-range weight and presence, and improved top end detail compared to the Star tips. The bass was a bit fuller as well compared the more narrow, longer foam tips. 

Given that the Shure SE535s sounded as good as they did, I pulled off the mediium diameter, olive-colored, Compy-style foam tips off my SE535s and put them on the W40s. Holy Smokes!!! This was the biggest improvement of all. I had the presence and PRaT of the Shures, along with a much more articulated and airy top end with very nice sparkle. Most importantly, the mid-range was more present as well. The nice bass detail, presence and articulation that the W40s had all along was there, but now the midrange and highs were much more in balance with the bass response. 

Interestingly, in searching for optimal foam tips for the W40s, I found a description at Headphone.com where that using the W40s with the Comply T-100/TX-100 or *Shure* foam tips brings out the high end sparkle and are recommended for best results with this IEM. I have to say with my experiment tonight, I fully agree. At some point will try the other Westone tips with my W40s, but for right now, the SE535 tips are staying on my W40s. Job done. 

It's clear from this experiment that everyone's ears are different (literally) and there is an interaction between the ear canal and the length, tip material, and diameter of the tip that can result in considerably different frequency responses of these IEMs, so if you get a pair, do some experimentation and see what works best for you and your listening sensibilities. It's clear there is no one "right" solution for everyone. 

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #149 of 270
  I just received my W40s today from BuySonic. I was really looking forward to these based on a number of good reviews. I'm using an Astell & Kern AK100 II for my source with very high-quality and many high-res rips as content. I listened to them at first with whatever Star Tips come installed on the W40s out of the package. First piece of music I listened to was some classical music, and I was impressed with the W40s imaging, and reproducing the "woody" timbres of cellos and violins. While the bass detail and articulation was excellent, compared to my reference Shure SE535s, however, I though the mids were a bit recessed and the highs were too laid-back. Given that I've read that the highs on W40s could be a bit sibilant on some materal, I was surprised to find the highs rather recessed. I tried a number of different songs as content, ranging from rock (Gary Clark, Jr) to jazz (Ella Fitzgerald, Shelby Lynne and Kenny Burrell) and compared to my SE535s, while the W40s sounded good, the overall presentation was darker and didn't have the presence and PRaT as with the Shure SE535s. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with the W40s, as the SE535s, on the whole, were better-sounding than the W40s. 

I then decided to try some different ear tips to see the effect they would have. I first tried the narrow, longish medium radius gray Westone foam tips and much to my surprise, I noticed an immediate improvement in the highs and top-end. While the upper mids and highs were more  extended and airy, the bass wasn't as developed or as full as with the Star tips. I then tried the smaller, rounded Westone foam tips and noticed that more mid-range weight and presence, and improved top end detail compared to the Star tips. The bass was a bit fuller as well compared the more narrow, longer foam tips. 

Given that the Shure SE535s sounded as good as they did, I pulled off the mediium diameter, olive-colored, Compy-style foam tips off my SE535s and put them on the W40s. Holy Smokes!!! This was the biggest improvement of all. I had the presence and PRaT of the Shures, along with a much more articulated and airy top end with very nice sparkle. Most importantly, the mid-range was more present as well. The nice bass detail, presence and articulation that the W40s had all along was there, but now the midrange and highs were much more in balance with the bass response. 

Interestingly, in searching for optimal foam tips for the W40s, I found a description at Headphone.com where that using the W40s with the Comply T-100/TX-100 or *Shure* foam tips brings out the high end sparkle and are recommended for best results with this IEM. I have to say with my experiment tonight, I fully agree. At some point will try the other Westone tips with my W40s, but for right now, the SE535 tips are staying on my W40s. Job done. 

It's clear from this experiment that everyone's ears are different (literally) and there is an interaction between the ear canal and the length, tip material, and diameter of the tip that can result in considerably different frequency responses of these IEMs, so if you get a pair, do some experimentation and see what works best for you and your listening sensibilities. It's clear there is no one "right" solution for everyone. 

Westone made the sound laid back to make it less fatiguing to the listener, I was listening with my JDS C5D I found the amp making it more forward, so i send it in to replace the opamp to 8620 hopefully the sound will be laid back with a bigger sound stage and slightlly brighter to counter some of the W60 warmth, I'm not complaining about the sound i'm just curious what it will do.

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #150 of 270
You're right about the high end sparkle. What a difference! Now need to get the T-100's. Holly crap!
confused_face.gif

I remember the first time I tried these foam tips from Westone. No bass. Now I have lots of bass, maybe due to the FiiO E12A. Also burn-in has improved these IEMs. Drivers? Cable? Both? Don't know, but it's noticeably better now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back