Westone UM3X Vs Westone 4R (Your review)
Jan 10, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #17 of 67
Yeah I like them, but the mids are too far back for me. Need to be more in my face. I considered the UM3X but went with UM2 because there was less bass. And I wouldnt want anymore bass than the UM2.

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #18 of 67
I was also thinking about the same thing. Had a westone 1, 3 & 4 and wanted to try out the UM3x to have a direct comparison. But my W series are long gone now and I went through all kinds of threads and read up on owner's of both the UM3x and W4's comments. So, I ended up buying the Westone 4 again along with a UM3x.

I seemed happy to find out that the UM3x have really nice mids and vocal impressions that gives you the shivers. I so prefer this over my W3 tbh, as I found the W3 a lil sibilant, with the highs being a lil too sparkly. But compared to the W4, as what the previous comments said, it has a smaller soundstage. More of like, you're slightly more upfront rather in the middle of a hall. Although, I guess I wouldn't really call it a Hall in this case. Most songs, ranging from Techno, Pop, Jazz, Rock to Heavy Metal works great, but I don't believe it's an all rounder like the W4's. But it is Indeed Full Bodied and Warm and is Awesome for Gaming for those who doesn't wear Headphones or Headsets
basshead.gif
It might not be as Bassy as the W3's but it's Just the right amount with lesser highs yet not stale and is still fun to listen to (Personal preference I guess)

As for amplification, both of em benefits from it. Amps used are the Schiit Asgard & Valhalla, M Stage Matrix,  Burson HA-160D and the Woo Audio WA22 for Desktop amps while the ADL Cruise, Audinst amp-HP and an iqube V2 for portable amps. Sources are from a Sony Walkman X-1060, 4th Gen ipod, imac and a PC with a Xonar D2X attached (I do switch and use the Schiit Gungnir and the Burson sometimes). To which, I believe the W4's being Really Awesome in every Genre it was shot with and works well with all the amps I tried it out with. If you're scared that the UM3X's soundstage is too cramped, the amps helps. The soundstage got a lot wider with more air on almost all the amps, including the cheap Audinst (but not so much). Same thing goes for the W4. After comparing both of em with multiple setups, I can't help but to Really Acknowledge the W4's Versatilty, it's simply amazing in all aspects, smooth when you want it to and rough when you want it to, not to mention that it EQs a lot better than the others.

But not saying the UM3x is bad and all, it excels in Particular areas, and I'd seriously prefer the UM3x when it comes to Acoustics, Guitar solos, Jazz and Vocals. It just gives you that "Wow!" Effect that you sometimes need. And since it's Full bodied and warm, it's a lot easier to convince your friends that it's an awesome iem (Since flat and neutral sounding ones don't appeal to most of em, lol) As well as awesome with Heavy Metal and Rock. Though, I guess the bass guitar and drums kind of mix in, but easily remedied on the amps. Though, the W4 performed outstandingly Awesome on my Classical genres (Since the soundtage and better instrument separation helps here)

As for un-amped performance. It took a lil more power to drive the W4's than the UM3X. Like, i'd increase the volume by 2 or 3 clicks to have that same volume (Or say I used 50% with the UM3X, the W4's needed roughly 60%) But nevertheless, the W4 is still yet the more clearer one and still versatile towards the "Players EQ". While the UM3X is more of a Fun Sounding iem and still retains it's outstanding vocal performance.

All in all, I like both of em. I'd still prefer any of these two over the W3 though, lol. To sum it up, if you lean towards the Bassier, more Mid Forward and Fun side. Pick the UM3X. If you lean towards Clarity, Neutral Sounding, more into Monitoring (with the better soundstage and separation) Pick the W4.

Eitherway, you can't really go wrong with both. That is ofcourse, my personal opinion. My Sincerest of apologies if I missed anything out or things seemed to be too confusing. Will try to summarise it next time
atsmile.gif

*Note- The setups are not mine but are my cousins. As mine are gone XD If you read my thread before. So, I kinda stayed over and did the testing along with him*

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #19 of 67
Quote:
Yeah I like them, but the mids are too far back for me. Need to be more in my face. I considered the UM3X but went with UM2 because there was less bass. And I wouldnt want anymore bass than the UM2.

Don't really have a UM2, but I believe that the W3's have the Most Bass and the UM2s are tuned similarly close to the W3's bass as i've read. I don't think it will be the case with the UM3X, since it's not overpowering nor fatiguing. But nevertheless, A W4 can easily be EQ'd to get what you want. It depends whether you want a "Monitor" like iem or a "Fun" iem.

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #20 of 67
Quote:
Between Westone 4R and Westone UM3X RC, which one has a wider sound stage and detail separation?

How do you range Westone 4R, Westone UM3X RC, Shure SE535 & Sennheiser IE80 in term of sound stage and detail separation?

In terms of Sound Stage and Detail separation. The W4 and the SE535 has the best amongst the 4. With the W4 being a tad bit more clearer and a better instrument separation than the SE535. But the Soundstage seems a lil wider on the SE535.

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #21 of 67
Thanks, i will be selling my UM2 to purchase the UM3X. Hopefully I will not sell it again to buy W4R.

I liked what you said about the guitar solos, "It just gives you that "Wow!" Effect that you sometimes need."

I think thats what Im after, hopefully the small sound stage is what I want.

I feel with the UM2 I am sat really close to the bass guitarist and the drummer, yet the guitarist and often the singer is way back on the stage. And theyre the most important parts for me so would prefer the UM3X's in your face mids I think. UM2 is very good IMO but its just the mids being so far back.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #23 of 67
Quote:
Thanks, i will be selling my UM2 to purchase the UM3X. Hopefully I will not sell it again to buy W4R.

I liked what you said about the guitar solos, "It just gives you that "Wow!" Effect that you sometimes need."

I think thats what Im after, hopefully the small sound stage is what I want.

I feel with the UM2 I am sat really close to the bass guitarist and the drummer, yet the guitarist and often the singer is way back on the stage. And theyre the most important parts for me so would prefer the UM3X's in your face mids I think. UM2 is very good IMO but its just the mids being so far back.

Haha, I wouldn't say it's right in your face type of forward though. But it is definitely more forward than the W3 and W4 nevertheless. Can't really say much on reselling an iem, since i've only sold mine to friends or relatives.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #24 of 67
I think UM2 mids are great.  Vocals are terrific.  Spacing is just about right and I'd say same as W4 as far as how distant they sound.  W3 mids are definitely far back and UM3X are more forward (than UM2).

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #25 of 67
Yeah I find them very good, as you say the singers voice is amazing on good recordings, but they are recessed to me at the same time and the guitars are just so left behind. Its as though the drummer and bass guitarist is the only important thing, the singer and guitarists can be put to the back and I dont like that. general comments of the UM3X are the same so I think I will try those now.

Mar 7, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #28 of 67
Hi guys, I currently have a W2 and I want to know which one between the UM3X and the W4 would be a better upgrade. I listen mostly to pop, k-pop, acoustic, rock, country music, and almost 80% of my songs are female vocals. I think vocals, clarity, instrument separation, and neutral presentation are the most important factors for me. I don't want the vocals to sound muddled. Considering I've only listened to the W2, which one do you think would suit my preference more? :)

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #29 of 67
Hi guys, I currently have a W2 and I want to know which one between the UM3X and the W4 would be a better upgrade. I listen mostly to pop, k-pop, acoustic, rock, country music, and almost 80% of my songs are female vocals. I think vocals, clarity, instrument separation, and neutral presentation are the most important factors for me. I don't want the vocals to sound muddled. Considering I've only listened to the W2, which one do you think would suit my preference more? :)

IMO, both UM3X and W4 will suit the types of music you are listening to. However, based on your preference, if you are steered towards vocals, clarity and instrument separation, UM3X will suit you more.

The UM3X follows a flatter response compared to the W4. However, the UM3X is actually more of a mid centric IEM. Mids are presented in a more forward manner focusing on vocals that is great for both male and female vocals. Vocals are energized. The UM3X does have a bass boost as well. Quantity of bass exceeds the W4. Instrument separation is amazing on the UM3X which separates and layered very well. However, the soundstage is pretty constricted. Treble energy is pretty flat as well. These are the cons of the UM3X.

The W4 is more of a balanced IEM with a slight bass boost and slightly forward mids. Bass punches deeper than the UM3X but loses out in quantity. Soundstage is wider. Instrument separation is good but loses to the UM3X. Clarity wise the UM3X edges out due to a slight veil in the lower mid region of W4. The W4 basically does everything so well. Nothing intentionally pops out. Listening to the W4 is more relaxing and just feels so musical. The W4 is more suited for instrumental and classical music although it does really well across all genres. The UM3X will do better in rock.

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #30 of 67
Will the UM3X get fatiguing when you listen to it for hours? I'm quite conflicted because based on comments here on head-fi it seems like UM3X would suit me more but then I read that the soundstage can make you feel sort of claustrophobic because it's too enclosed at times. I do like the W4's build better than the UM3X though. Also, I forgot to mention, I'm not into a lot of bass but I'd prefer a bit more bass than the W2's. In terms of indie pop music and kpop, which of the two do you think makes the music feel more alive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back