Westone UM3X owner, just bought Westone 4R and not sure if I should have
Apr 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #16 of 29
Update!

So I got my Westone 4Rs in and went ahead and tried them out.  Audio source is my iPhone 4S playing ALAC files, using the Shure PA758 medium softflex tips.

The sound is definitely an upgrade.  I can see where people call the treble veiled, but honestly I don't feel that's the case; it's just more flat which makes it very easy to EQ.  As I compared songs between the Westone 4 and UM3X, I noticed that the UM3X suddenly sounded a lot more treble heavy, almost harsh at times compared to the Westone 4.  The 4 blended it all in beautifully with better instrument separation, a wider range of sound, and a much improved soundstage.  I felt like I could feel the natural reverb coming off of the guitar strings, not just the twang without follow through.

As for the bass..I have to say it's AMAZING.  No, it doesn't boom like the UM3X does except where it's supposed to.  There are various layers of bass that I could not hear before, and the sound is incredible with slightly forward mids, very tight and descriptive bass, and balanced treble.

I'm very very happy with this purchase.  I hope this is my last universal set before going after customs.  Definitely keepers!

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #17 of 29
That's good to hear since I just pulled the trigger on a set of the 4s last night. I'm hoping it's a "wow" upgrade from the UM2 RC that I bought last week, which I love BTW.

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:
That's good to hear since I just pulled the trigger on a set of the 4s last night. I'm hoping it's a "wow" upgrade from the UM2 RC that I bought last week, which I love BTW.

Well, from my B&W C5s the Westone UM3X was a WOWWWWWWWW!!!11 upgrade.  From UM3X to Westone 4 was a "whaaaaaaa-ha-ha-haaaaat!" upgrade.  I've heard good things about the UM2, so you should be firmly in the "WHOA!" range, give or take a "daaaaamn".

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #19 of 29

Quote:
Quote:

Well, from my B&W C5s the Westone UM3X was a WOWWWWWWWW!!!11 upgrade.  From UM3X to Westone 4 was a "whaaaaaaa-ha-ha-haaaaat!" upgrade.  I've heard good things about the UM2, so you should be firmly in the "WHOA!" range, give or take a "daaaaamn".

LOL! ok. Good enough. I'll take your word for it...

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #20 of 29

Quote:
Update!

So I got my Westone 4Rs in and went ahead and tried them out.  Audio source is my iPhone 4S playing ALAC files, using the Shure PA758 medium softflex tips.

The sound is definitely an upgrade.  I can see where people call the treble veiled, but honestly I don't feel that's the case; it's just more flat which makes it very easy to EQ.  As I compared songs between the Westone 4 and UM3X, I noticed that the UM3X suddenly sounded a lot more treble heavy, almost harsh at times compared to the Westone 4.  The 4 blended it all in beautifully with better instrument separation, a wider range of sound, and a much improved soundstage.  I felt like I could feel the natural reverb coming off of the guitar strings, not just the twang without follow through.

As for the bass..I have to say it's AMAZING.  No, it doesn't boom like the UM3X does except where it's supposed to.  There are various layers of bass that I could not hear before, and the sound is incredible with slightly forward mids, very tight and descriptive bass, and balanced treble.

I'm very very happy with this purchase.  I hope this is my last universal set before going after customs.  Definitely keepers!

Glad you like them :), fortunately you followed my advice like I said "it could really be what you like". The UM3x is harsher and can also be ear-piercing, but it is also recessed and feels a little hollow. The Westone 4's bass on the other hand is smooooth while not being offending. I like the soundstage and mids of the W4s too :) 

The bass takes quality over quantity, although the bass I reference to is clean bass like the ER-4, the bass on this is still very good on bass-heavy songs. 

Well, anyway, hope you continue enjoying them :), customs are the only upgrade from these. 

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #21 of 29

Quote:

Actually the UM2 and the Westone 4s have a very different signature. The UM2 brighter(could be ear-piercing), and the Westone 4s darker(non-fatiguing). The Westone 4s is nearly better in everything, smoother treble, more natural and present mids, a more defined and qualitative bass, a wider soundstage, and possibly better instrumental separation. 

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #22 of 29

Quote:
Actually the UM2 and the Westone 4s have a very different signature. The UM2 brighter(could be ear-piercing), and the Westone 4s darker(non-fatiguing). The Westone 4s is nearly better in everything, smoother treble, more natural and present mids, a more defined and qualitative bass, a wider soundstage, and possibly better instrumental separation. 

Have you heard the IEMs you're talking about? I struggle to believe that you have actually heard the UM2.

Describing it as bright (could be ear-piercing) .... that's just complete rubbish.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #23 of 29

Quote:
Have you heard the IEMs you're talking about? I struggle to believe that you have actually heard the UM2.

Describing it as bright (could be ear-piercing) .... that's just complete rubbish.

Yes I have, and apparently they are with my songs. Not my problem if you don't experience it. 

EDIT: perhaps I'm experiencing it because I tried them with the Shure grey flex, which really allows the highs to extend. 

Apr 7, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #24 of 29

Quote:
Yes I have, and apparently they are with my songs. Not my problem if you don't experience it. 

EDIT: perhaps I'm experiencing it because I tried them with the Shure grey flex, which really allows the highs to extend. 

Wow, all those IEMs you own or have tested. Richest student I've ever heard of.

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #26 of 29
Hey guys!

I know this thread might have been closed for a bit now but I'm currently trying to differentiate between the westone 4r and the westone 4. It could just be my ear but i honestly can't seem to hear the difference in the symmetrical balancing of the 4r as compared to the 4. :/

Any help/opinions on this?

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:
Hey guys!

I know this thread might have been closed for a bit now but I'm currently trying to differentiate between the westone 4r and the westone 4. It could just be my ear but i honestly can't seem to hear the difference in the symmetrical balancing of the 4r as compared to the 4. :/

lol  You normaly dont hear any difference. If you have read some forums, you will find that the only diff is the cable. ONLY CABLE! 
deadhorse.gif

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:
Hey guys!

Even though the 4R divers are manually matched, it is just marketing mumbo jumbo and way to add a few extra bucks to the cost.  The drivers are already made to very tight specs so you shouldn't be able to hear any difference between 4 and 4R.  People buy the 4R because of the removable cables, not because of driver matching. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back