Westone UM3X or Westone 4 or Shure SE535 ??
May 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #198 of 244
What about the UM3X vs SM3 v2 over the W4?  I'm very curious about both and the SM3 v2 I can get from a store about 2 hours away with a 30 day return policy and (I think) no re-stocking fee. 

If I snag the UM3X, it will likely be off the sale boards because I'm not keen on a 15% re-stocking fee (especially spending a lot of money at the same place for 2 iem's) though I do understand completely why it is what it is. I think I'm considering the Fii0 11 amp if I stick with Westone.

*Edit: I'd love to look at the PFE 232 but for the price, I'd rather go for customs.  You must pay an additional fee for the impressions/audiologist on top of the custom fee, correct?

May 10, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #199 of 244
Quote:
What about the UM3X vs SM3 v2 over the W4?  I'm very curious about both and the SM3 v2 I can get from a store about 2 hours away with a 30 day return policy and (I think) no re-stocking fee. 

If I snag the UM3X, it will likely be off the sale boards because I'm not keen on a 15% re-stocking fee (especially spending a lot of money at the same place for 2 iem's) though I do understand completely why it is what it is. I think I'm considering the Fii0 11 amp if I stick with Westone.

*Edit: I'd love to look at the PFE 232 but for the price, I'd rather go for customs.  You must pay an additional fee for the impressions/audiologist on top of the custom fee, correct?

If you don't like the dark part of the W4, the SM3v2 will be an even worse choice. 

The PFE232 in my opinion is just on par with the W4, it's not in any particularly way better, which is in my opinion. So going customs at that point is better, but customs have low selling price if you don't like the sound. 

Aug 29, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #200 of 244
Sorry to revive this thread, but I am deciding between the Westone 4R and the Shure SE535 Limited Edition to replace my SE425.  I listen to Jazz, Fusion, Alternative and Progressive Metal.  The SE425 sounds good, but it tends to get muddy on tracks with heavy guitar solos.  The guitars tend to overpower the other instruments too, so the details get lost.

I'm a drummer, so I like being able to hear the instruments clearly so that I can study the song I'm listening to.  Sound isolation is also important to me since I sometimes use my IEMs while I play.  Which of these 2 would be the better choice?

Thanks!

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #201 of 244
Quote:
Sorry to revive this thread, but I am deciding between the Westone 4R and the Shure SE535 Limited Edition to replace my SE425.  I listen to Jazz, Fusion, Alternative and Progressive Metal.  The SE425 sounds good, but it tends to get muddy on tracks with heavy guitar solos.  The guitars tend to overpower the other instruments too, so the details get lost.

I'm a drummer, so I like being able to hear the instruments clearly so that I can study the song I'm listening to.  Sound isolation is also important to me since I sometimes use my IEMs while I play.  Which of these 2 would be the better choice?

Thanks!

I guess I have the authority to answer you this
(I have Westone 4 and Shure SE425 and I listen to Alternative and Progression Metal, not much Jazz and Fusion though and I do play drums occasionally)

I've been in your exact situation before.Want to get an upgrade from SE425.
I also auditioned SE535 vanilla, the red edition and Westone UM3Xrc, ended up bought the Westone 4
let me tell you why

Westone 4 has best clarity/instrument separation of all, 

sound stage wise, SE535 red->SE535 vanilla--->W4------>UM3xRC

ear fatigue ability, UM3xRC-------------------->W4--->SE535red->SE535(only UM3xRC I consider really ear fatigue, the rest aren't really ear fatigue)

frequency extension W4---->UM3xRC--->SE535 red->SE535 vanilla

isolation, they are about the same(with comply/shure olive tip), UM3xRC might have a little bit better isolation but just a hair.

Fun factor: SE535 red = SE535 vanilla -> W4------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->UM3xRC(SE535 sound overall most hyped)

weird enough, UM3RX sound the closest to SE425 instead of SE535
but with more of everything(better frequency extension and sound quite warmer(more low mid bump)
if you looking for similiar sound signature to your SE425 but want more of everything,
UM3RX might be your choice but I personally don't like them. they sound too dry to me, I like SE425 hyped sound more.

SE535 sound not exactly ike SE425 first of all, only thing they sound alike is the overly hype vocal , Shure SE215,315,425 and 535 they all has quite different sound signature, except they all has some spike/high-shelf around 3kHz-8kHz

also drummer wise, SE535/UM3xRC has really hyped high-mid , might sound not very good when you bash all your cymbals. could bleed your ears.

just my 2 cents

I highly suggest you go audition them before you buy, the opinion of mine on sound preferences not necessarily right for your preferences.

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #202 of 244
Thanks for your reply!  That was most helpful.  Unfortunately, I have no way to audition them.  The SE535 (both bronze and red limited edition) isn't sold locally so I'll have to order them online.  The dealer that sells the Westone 4R doesn't have demo units so I'll be relying on what people's feedbacks are.  I think with enough feedback, I can start to see patterns on what the sound signatures, strengths and weaknesses of each would be.

I think if I were to want something more from the SE425, I would have wanted a bit more high end response.  The IEM has awesome mids, but the treble is kinda rolled-off, so I feel I'm missing some of that snare pop, or cymbal harmonics and resonance.  I'm happy with the bass of the SE425 but sometimes it tends to get distorted though on some tracks (particularly from some tracks by Third Eye Blind) where there seems to be some boosting of bass on the tracks itself (I use flat EQs).  

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #203 of 244
Quote:
Thanks for your reply!  That was most helpful.  Unfortunately, I have no way to audition them.  The SE535 (both bronze and red limited edition) isn't sold locally so I'll have to order them online.  The dealer that sells the Westone 4R doesn't have demo units so I'll be relying on what people's feedbacks are.  I think with enough feedback, I can start to see patterns on what the sound signatures, strengths and weaknesses of each would be.

I think if I were to want something more from the SE425, I would have wanted a bit more high end response.  The IEM has awesome mids, but the treble is kinda rolled-off, so I feel I'm missing some of that snare pop, or cymbal harmonics and resonance.  I'm happy with the bass of the SE425 but sometimes it tends to get distorted though on some tracks (particularly from some tracks by Third Eye Blind) where there seems to be some boosting of bass on the tracks itself (I use flat EQs).  

I got my Westone 4R's directly from Westone - they have a 30 day return policy. The 4R's were great, but slightly lacking in *fun*. I made the comment somewhere that to me, they are like the perfect woman that you should, but don't, have chemistry with. But, my point is that Westone is great to work with, and they honored the return policy promptly.

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #204 of 244
Quote:

if you want more treble/air from the SE425, I really think you should get UM3X. 
even SE535 has significant treble roll off, better than SE425 but still very significant roll off.

and I personally don't think SE535 red edition worth the price.
from where I live
vanilla SE535 = USD 345
Red SE535 =  USD 488

Red really does improve from vanilla but not THAT much, better separation, better frequency extension, better looking

but all these improvements doesn't justify the 143 price difference IMHO.

UM3X overall sound signature really sound like SE425, only has better frequency extension and noticeably sound darker(SE425 sound quite bright, even they has very early high end roll off)

UM3X are like more bass more treble version of SE425.

but UM3X also sound drier than SE425, just took out some of the fun factor from SE425.

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #205 of 244
Thanks! I'll try to audition those phones if possible. Worst case, I'll order straight from Westone to take advantage of the 30-day money back guarantee.  Your feedback has been most helpful!

Cheers!

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #206 of 244
I guess I have the authority to answer you this
(I have Westone 4 and Shure SE425 and I listen to Alternative and Progression Metal, not much Jazz and Fusion though and I do play drums occasionally)

I've been in your exact situation before.Want to get an upgrade from SE425.
I also auditioned SE535 vanilla, the red edition and Westone UM3Xrc, ended up bought the Westone 4
let me tell you why

Westone 4 has best clarity/instrument separation of all, 

sound stage wise, SE535 red->SE535 vanilla--->W4------>UM3xRC

ear fatigue ability, UM3xRC-------------------->W4--->SE535red->SE535(only UM3xRC I consider really ear fatigue, the rest aren't really ear fatigue)

frequency extension W4---->UM3xRC--->SE535 red->SE535 vanilla

isolation, they are about the same(with comply/shure olive tip), UM3xRC might have a little bit better isolation but just a hair.

Fun factor: SE535 red = SE535 vanilla -> W4------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->UM3xRC(SE535 sound overall most hyped)

weird enough, UM3RX sound the closest to SE425 instead of SE535
but with more of everything(better frequency extension and sound quite warmer(more low mid bump)
if you looking for similiar sound signature to your SE425 but want more of everything,
UM3RX might be your choice but I personally don't like them. they sound too dry to me, I like SE425 hyped sound more.

SE535 sound not exactly ike SE425 first of all, only thing they sound alike is the overly hype vocal , Shure SE215,315,425 and 535 they all has quite different sound signature, except they all has some spike/high-shelf around 3kHz-8kHz

also drummer wise, SE535/UM3xRC has really hyped high-mid , might sound not very good when you bash all your cymbals. could bleed your ears.

just my 2 cents

I highly suggest you go audition them before you buy, the opinion of mine on sound preferences not necessarily right for your preferences.

If I want the IEM with below characteristics, which is the best choice you can recommend?
1) most comfort in the ear
2) widest sound stage
3) clearest instruments/vocal separation
4) great quality deep, punchy, extended bass
5) least fatigue in the ear

The music that I play on ipod are

1) vocal/jazz
2) new wave
3) rock/pop

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #208 of 244
Quote:
At this point I seem have narrowed it down to the Westone UM3X or the Westone 4R. Westone customer service was sooo helpful (which goes a long way) and said I could try them for 30 days and return them if I don't like them. The things that weighed in favor of Westone are the ergonomics, the sound sig, and the service. Since a huge portion of the usage for me is a 2 1/2 hour train commute, each way, isolation is key. Apparently the Sony's lack a bit there. The SE535's high end sig may not be for me either. I sold my Grado 325's after a couple of months because I found the high end grated on my nerves after a while. As I mentioned, I love the sonic curve of my Senn 650's, and if the Westone's are like that, I'll be happy. I just need to decide if the 4R's are $100 better then the UM3X's. Decisions!

Like you just said, try them all. 30 days return policy?! :)

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #209 of 244
Quote:
Why not take a look at the Miles Davis Tributes? They do perform very well with jazz and has a warm sound which you stated. For the list, the Westone 4 will be the most neutral, meaning it will be able to play most genres well, although the SE535 will perform better at jazz. The UM3x didn't really appeal to me however. 

Have you ever listen to the UM3x yet! 

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #210 of 244
Quote:
My commutes used to be even longer, at about 3 to 3.5 hours each way. 
eek.gif

As the others have said, the UM3X doesn't have a big soundstage -- I suppose that comes with the forward mids. I wouldn't call it lush either (maybe warm) but it's definitely not fatiguing.

Yep!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back