Westone UM3X memory wire question
Mar 8, 2011 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Vodka

New Head-Fier
Long time lurker, first time poster!

Received my Westone UM3X with removable cables last week. My impressions of them (and a comparison to the Shure SE535) coming soon. However, I have a question to all UM3X-RC owners regarding the memory wire in their removable cable.

On my cable, the actual bendable metal wire is rather short, leaving approximately 1cm of plastic tubing that doesn't bend into shape. As a result, the extra plastic tubing sticks out, which means the memory wire/cable doesn't completely wrap around the top of my ears. Having confirmed with Westone USA that the metal wire should extend the length of the plastic tubing, I requested my (authorized) dealer for a replacement cable. Replacement cable arrived, but still with the same issue, so I'm suspecting there's a bad batch of cables with this minor defect.

Can I please ask any UM3X-RC owners out there to check if they have a similar issue with their cable? Would also be interesting to see if it's just Aussie UM3X owners with this issue.

Thanks!

Mar 8, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 4
I don't have the UM3X with removable cable but I do have the Westone ES cable. The ES cable has the memory wire maybe around 3-4mm less than the tubing. I have another cable that is more similar to the one that you have however. I find the extra tube length a bit useful since it allows me to have a bit more comfort with over the ear.

Mar 8, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:

Can I please ask any UM3X-RC owners out there to check if they have a similar issue with their cable? Would also be interesting to see if it's just Aussie UM3X owners with this issue.

Thanks!

My UM3X RC do not have the issues you're describing. In mine the metal wire goes almost all the way the plastic part does, and it's only the last 2-3mm it doesn't - same as with my other Westone custom cables I've used with my (custom) ES3X.

I'm based in Europe but mine came from the US and were purchased about 6 months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back