Westone UM3X announced!
Apr 15, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #316 of 557
I just returned my W3's. I really like them except for 2 things: they are comfortable, but not as comfortable as my (now sold) UM2's. I do hear sometimes a little bloated bass, but it is recording dependent; the overall sound is very rich and musical. I will be getting the UM3x's because of a little better comfort and perhaps a little more accurate sound. I did not experience sibilance with the W3. They are great phones. Hope I am not sorry for my decision!

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #317 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by zb0430 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here's hoping that these phones are all you're wanting them to be... I fear, though, that you're speaking more along the lines of a UE10 Pro sound signature, as far as I can tell, which is certainly not the Westone house sound.

Thank you, if it doesn't turn out the way i hope then no harm done. I do apologize for saying that you have issues.
normal_smile .gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #319 of 557
wasn't powderhound meant to post something on differentiating between the W3 and UM3x sound sigs so that we can MEANINGFULLY make a purchase decision rather than buy both and end up returning one under the returns policy.

TBH I'll take the IEM that is as comfortable as my UM2 but with less tubby bass, a bit of extra highs and with better soundstage.
And then I'll get the UM56 and just be happy.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #320 of 557
I think the UM3Xs are so good, he cannot take it off and drifted into nirvana, leaving us here
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #321 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wasn't powderhound meant to post something on differentiating between the W3 and UM3x sound sigs so that we can MEANINGFULLY make a purchase decision rather than buy both and end up returning one under the returns policy.

TBH I'll take the IEM that is as comfortable as my UM2 but with less tubby bass, a bit of extra highs and with better soundstage.
And then I'll get the UM56 and just be happy.

Agree. so far the explanations given are vague, I know because nobody has tried them yet, but it would be nice to have a better description (PowerHound, Flavio?) other than one is for musicians the other for listening to compressed music. If the frequencies are flatter, does that mean the reported mid bass hump is gone? etc. The smaller shell is a plus for me.

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #322 of 557
are they using the same drivers and setup as the Westone ES3X? If so aside from the difference of custom fitted phones won't they have the same sound signature?

Apr 17, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #325 of 557
I agree. I love the Westone sound. Whether they have the same drivers/crossover exactly as the ES3X, the people who know the answers are not saying
frown.gif

PowerHound, could you help clarify some of our questions?

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #326 of 557
It's not quite as definitive as if Powdehound confirms it, but according to Stefan at Variphone (Westone's distributor for the European marketplace), who I've been in liason with regarding the ES3X- ultimately too rich for my wallet atm, but that's a different anecdote-, the UM3x are a universal packaging of the ES3X technolgy/drivers and crossover configurations.

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #327 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not quite as definitive as if Powdehound confirms it, but according to Stefan at Variphone (Westone's distributor for the European marketplace), who I've been in liason with regarding the ES3X- ultimately too rich for my wallet atm, but that's a different anecdote-, the UM3x are a universal packaging of the ES3X technolgy/drivers and crossover configurations.

A man can only hope!

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #328 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A man can only hope!

Or wait and see...
tongue.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #330 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are they using the same drivers and setup as the Westone ES3X? If so aside from the difference of custom fitted phones won't they have the same sound signature?

a wise man once told me UM3X drivers are different to that of the ES3X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back