Westone UM3X announced!
Apr 9, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #212 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the Westone UM3X use the same exact drivers and tuning in the Westone ES3X?

The Westone website states that the UM3X uses the same technology as the ES3X. There is no indication that they use the exact same drivers.

Apr 9, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #213 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What i find hilarious is the fact that the product isn't even out yet and you seem to already state that it's going to be inferior to the w3.

And I don't know how you interpreted what's written on earphonesolutions as the um3x having a "smaller soudstage" and "even more rolled off highs".

This is what they said:

The UM3X are for stage monitoring and target the musicians' market, however if you like balanced and smooth sound, the new UM3X may have a chance at outperforming the Westone 3 and the SE530 for playback as well... We say "may have" because we haven't put our hands (ears) on a set of UM3X yet, but we are looking forward to it as the only very small complaint I had about the Westone 3 was the extended highs for long listening hours, which would cause a bit of fatiguing, so I'm specially interested in listening to the new UM3X.

Quite different to how you interpreted it don't you think?

NO. An IEM for monitoring will always have a smaller soundstage. That's the whole point of it being used for monitoring. If W3 treble is considered extended, what do you suppose UM3X will be? W3 treble is certainly more extended than UM2.

Apr 9, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #214 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What i find hilarious is the fact that the product isn't even out yet and you seem to already state that it's going to be inferior to the w3.

And I don't know how you interpreted what's written on earphonesolutions as the um3x having a "smaller soudstage" and "even more rolled off highs".

This is what they said:

The UM3X are for stage monitoring and target the musicians' market, however if you like balanced and smooth sound, the new UM3X may have a chance at outperforming the Westone 3 and the SE530 for playback as well... We say "may have" because we haven't put our hands (ears) on a set of UM3X yet, but we are looking forward to it as the only very small complaint I had about the Westone 3 was the extended highs for long listening hours, which would cause a bit of fatiguing, so I'm specially interested in listening to the new UM3X.

Quite different to how you interpreted it don't you think?

Something fishy about EPS statement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NO. An IEM for monitoring will always have a smaller soundstage. That's the whole point of it being used for monitoring. If W3 treble is considered extended, what do you suppose UM3X will be? W3 treble is certainly more extended than UM2.

It isn't? 17.5 khz is pretty good. =)

Apr 9, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #215 of 557
Wow this is great news but otherwise for our wallets once again. On the other hand besides the crossover difference between w3 and this, seems like er4p and er4s. I think it would really shine for those with amp and the potential is indeed delicious. I see it being like er4-s or the pfe's but more balanced. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled on this one.
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #217 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surrealsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow this is great news but otherwise for our wallets once again. On the other hand besides the crossover difference between w3 and this, seems like er4p and er4s. I think it would really shine for those with amp and the potential is indeed delicious. I see it being like er4-s or the pfe's but more balanced. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled on this one.
biggrin.gif

Not sure how you can get more balanced than the PFE, but I'm not sure that they will sound like either the Ety or PFE. From the descriptions of the W3 and Westone's custom, I'd expect these to follow the Westone house sound... of course all assumptions at this point.

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #218 of 557
Quote:

Aren't the Westone ES3X and UE-11 considered monitoring earphones? They have the best soundstage of any earphone.

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #219 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinsight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Westone website states that the UM3X uses the same technology as the ES3X. There is no indication that they use the exact same drivers.

Since the UM3X has a clear housing and the ES3X is available in clear, Westone has no problems showing off which drivers they use. They are not going to be hiding anything. But given how identical drivers are used between different IEM's there is more to than just the drivers.

-Ed

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #220 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the UM3X has a clear housing and the ES3X is available in clear, Westone has no problems showing off which drivers they use. They are not going to be hiding anything. But given how identical drivers are used between different IEM's there is more to than just the drivers.

-Ed

Also the crossover chip to is probably the most important.

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #221 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something fishy about EPS statement.

It isn't? 17.5 khz is pretty good. =)

Absolutely! I myself think the highs are just about perfect on W3 so any less and I'd be dissapointed.

Apr 9, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #222 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't the Westone ES3X and UE-11 considered monitoring earphones? They have the best soundstage of any earphone.

Not exactly, ES3X combines both monitoring aspects as well and personal listening and UE11 does the same whereas the UE10 is the more neutral IEM closer to what a stage monitors typical response would be. I believe Powderhound stated UM3X will be a monitor type only. I'm sure some will love it and some will find it bland or boring compared to W3.

W3 is a very muscular sounding IEM. Taming this down a bit might be very nice. Only the ears will be able to determine that. I look forward to it.

Apr 9, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #223 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

-Ed

As I understood from our visit to Westone last year, the housing, the drivers placement and the tube (nozzle) diameter and length also play a major role in the final sound.

Apr 10, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #224 of 557
Ouch. the pain of waiting...

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #225 of 557
Quote:

Actually, I don't think that a small soundstage is desirable for a stage monitor at all. Think about it, if you are playing a guitar in a two guitar band, you want to be able to hear your guitar as coming from a different part of the stage compared to the second guitar so that you can clearly and distinctly tell your guitar from the other one (and the bass guitar for that matter). If the soundstage is small, all the instruments blend together and it makes things a monitoring nightmare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back