Westone UM3X announced!
Apr 8, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #31 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At 56 ohms this IEM will require an amp so it certainly will NOT compete with SE530. This will be pretty a unique offering....

confused_face_2.gif
Eh?

Take a look at the sensitivity specs...
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #32 of 557
Damns........more wallet drainage for me. I bet I'll be able to use the UM56 tips that I have on order with the UMX3s, though! I'll definitely be one of the people who end up comparing Westone 3 versus UMX3...

-Ed

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #33 of 557
So is this expected to actually be a sonic improvement over the Westone 3? At a cheaper price? I'm a bit confused. I saw that it uses the drivers of the ES3X, but I never knew whether that custom used the same drivers as the Westone 3 universal.

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #35 of 557
I believe the Westone 3 remains the consumer audio product, which has a certain, "color," to its sound, to make it, "feel more natural," so it is more musical and less analytical. The UMX3 will be much more flat, and far more neutral in tonality, so it'll be much more analytical, and far less warm and musical. That's my guess for now; won't know 'til it comes out and I get my pair to compare...

-Ed

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #36 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosoupforyou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this an April Fool's joke guys.

How can you be sure? I see no hints to that; plus the press release is dated April 7th, not 1st.

-Ed

EDIT: Wait, is that a statement, or is that a question?

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #40 of 557
Good point, Edward. Nice pic, btw, I look like a Nazi in mine.

Wait, now, how will the Westone hierarchy go? Are they intending the Westone 3's to be lower in price and SQ to the new ones? Or is the UM3X just a musician-oriented Westone 3?

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #41 of 557
Westone 3 appears to be music fan-oriented and UM3X professional-/musician-oriented. So Westone 3 for casual listening and UM3X for engineering, mixing or on-stage monitoring.

-Ed

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #43 of 557
Because the Westone 3 is too warm/too not neutral for professional monitoring and because the UM3X will probably sound too cold/dry/neutral to be, "fun," sounding.

-Ed

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #44 of 557
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because the Westone 3 is too warm/too not neutral for professional monitoring and because the UM3X will probably sound too cold/dry/neutral to be, "fun," sounding.

-Ed

Isn't the ES3X neutral but still alive and musical according to impressions from other head-fier's?

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #45 of 557
I suppose so, but I think I'll just let me own ears decide for themselves when I get my hands on these to compare...

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back