Westone UM2
Jan 22, 2005 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

drssyoon

100+ Head-Fier
I feel like I need to comment about these phones - they are not very widely known compared to Etys or Shures, but I think they represent better value than both.

I went through a range of IEMs - started with E2s, then to E3s, to Shure E5s, to Ety 4Ps then to Shure E5s for a while. Sold the E5s thinking that I didn't use these enough to justify the price and purchased some cheaper alternatives. Well, as can be guessed by most people here, I could not find a cheaper pair of phones that I was satisfied with compared to the E5s. I started to look for a replacement pair, but read some comments on head-fi regarding the UM2s. They looked interesting, so I bit the bullet and purchased them from rabbitsfoot (who, by the way, is an excellent seller).

Well after listening to these for a few days I am truly convinced that they are superior to E5s. The sound seems more rounded (better highs than E5s?), and the cable is much more manageable. I was getting tired of the memory wires and the heavyness of the Shure cable and was almost tempted to do the memory wire mod at one time. UM2's wires are flexible and thin, but feel like they would be as durable as the E5 wires. And no more memory wire!

The only negative about the UM2s is that the foamies are too easily pulled from the body of the phones. I've had to pull them out manually a few times after removing the earphones.

Anyway, if anyone is looking at E5s, I would seriously recommend that you check out the UM2s as well.

/S/

Jan 23, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 17
You went from the E5 to the ER-4P and then back to the E5, huh? What was it about the Etys that you didn't like? (Let me guess--either the comfort or the bass...
tongue.gif
) Did you find the highs in the E5 to be lacking in comparison to the Etys?

Glad you're happy with the UM2--they don't seem to get as much attention as the Shure E5/E5c but many people that have tried both seem to prefer the UM2's. If you're still on the lookout for cheaper alternatives to the E5, you might consider trying the Shure E4/E4c when it is released in a few months.

Jan 23, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 17
I left Ety 4 P because of 2 reasons. The first was the fit - the phones stuck out too much and it got in the way at times. The second was the lack of bass oomph - at least for me.

Shure E5s did lack the treble (or detail) of Etys, but it sounded more "musical" and fun. Hard to describe.

UM2s seem to be in between the Ety 4Ps and Shure E5s and with the easier fit than Shure E5s. Am very happy with them... for now.
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 17
Yes, I really enjoyed my Ety 4Ps as well. I used them for about 6 months before going with E5s (which I used for about 6 months as well).

I must stop reading this site. I don't want to be tempted to purchase a $1000 IEMs.

Jan 23, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by drssyoon
I left Ety 4 P because of 2 reasons. The first was the fit - the phones stuck out too much and it got in the way at times. The second was the lack of bass oomph - at least for me.

Shure E5s did lack the treble (or detail) of Etys, but it sounded more "musical" and fun. Hard to describe.

Well, I've read that same thing before on Head-Fi so I'm not terribly surprised that you feel that way. In fact, I felt that I might prefer that more musical sound so I strongly considered purchasing the E5c recently. I think my two biggest hangups with the E5c were people complaining about the highs and the "one-note" muddy bass, as well as its price. I ended up finding some ER-4P's for $130, and the cheapest I could find the E5c's was around $300. That was a big factor in the decision making process, since I wasn't sure if I'd even like canalphones (the Etys are my first pair ever).

However, since the UM2's seem to be a bit more highly regarded than the E5c's, I think I'd go with the UM2's if I was looking at the E5's again. The only downside to the UM2's that I've noticed is that they are relatively hard to find...especially if you are looking to buy a pre-owned set.

Jan 23, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 17
That was a great price for the Etys. I looked for a few days for a used pair of UM2s, but didn't find any, so I bought a new pair from someone on this forum. Price was more than the Etys, but less than the Shures.

Sound aside, UM2s are much more convenient to put on and remove due to the thinner/more flexible cables and missing memory wire.

Try it, you'll like it...
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #9 of 17
I've actually heard from a few people now that liked the UM2's over the Shure and Ety's. I think I'll probably go with these as I'm getting a little tired of dealing with my E2's. Plus, I haven't bought any audiogear in months and I have some spare cash. Thats a deadly combination around here
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 17
I tried out the UM2s after reading all the positive posts about them and wanting a bit more bass and fuller presentation than what I was getting from my Etys. I was very disappointed though in that the highs were not NEARLY as present in the UM2s (in my opinion). Yes there was more bass and the presentation was fuller, but the music just didn't seem to come alive as much as with the Etys clarity and resolution. I resolved to return the UM2s and stick with the Etys.

Jan 23, 2005 at 9:38 AM Post #11 of 17
My experience is a little different. I've had the ER4s for nearly a year and more recently purchased the UM2s. Also owned the E5s for a while but just never liked them, as I'm much more of a treble/detail guy. While the UM2s don't sparkle like the Etys, they have much better detail and resolution than the Shures IMO, while still giving you that added fun bass that the Etys just can't produce. I keep both phones active, but find myself much more often reaching for the UM2s simply because of the listenable fun-factor.

Sometimes the ER4s hyper-detail presentation can become a serious fault for me as well, especially after listening to the Westones. The excessive 'ssss' when a singer delivers anything with an "s" in it can make the Etys very tiring. Once you've begun to notice it, and after you've heard the much more rounded sound of something like the UM2s, this high-end excess can really grate on your nerves. My SuperMacro with bass boost and all helps the Etys sound a bit fuller but this phenomenon continues to grow for me (fatiguing effect of Etys).

One wierd thing, about which I started another thread a while back, is the UM2 wire's kind of nasty propensity to turn green. Mine is nearly completely green around the neck area where it touches my skin - unaffected closer to the plug. Eh, ya just get over it I guess.

Jan 23, 2005 at 10:20 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
oh, i don't know. i think the ER-4's are fun, and i've had them in my ears for the last 7 hours with no fatigue, caused by sibilance or otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy my Etys. Their sound can be quite exquisite and intoxicating at times. And I'm in no way a basshead either. It's just that when you get used to real full-sounding bass, the kind which you can actually feel the air move, and the warmth and completeness that it presents - and then go back to the ER4s....you definitely find that you miss it. A lot. Hmmph. Hard to explain.

But no diss intended for Etys. They're terrific, and I can wear them virtually all day as well.

Jan 23, 2005 at 10:26 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer
Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy my Etys. Their sound can be quite exquisite and intoxicating at times. And I'm in no way a basshead either. It's just that when you get used to real full-sounding bass, the kind which you can actually feel the air move, and the warmth and completeness that it presents - and then go back to the ER4s....you definitely find that you miss it. A lot. Hmmph. Hard to explain.

But no diss intended for Etys. They're terrific, and I can wear them virtually all day as well.

oh, i think i know what you mean. i've used and loved the Grado PS-1's, which have slamming, amazing bass. to me, though, with the SuperMini amp and the way that the triflange's fit my ear canals (which is absolutely perfectly) the bass of the ER-4P is rich and deep. for my best friend it's the same way. another one of my friends, who isn't really a bass head, thought the bass was rather light even though he was getting a good seal. i think a lot of it, with these phones, is the way the ear canal is shaped. i think that, for some reason, these particular canals are very dependant on the canal shape being right for the sound to...i don't even know the words to use, reverb well off of? does that make any sense?

Jan 23, 2005 at 10:34 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
...for some reason, these particular canals are very dependant on the canal shape being right for the sound to...reverb well off of...

Probably correct. That would explain why there are a number of people that don't "get" the whole ER4 thing. I've never understood, for example, how anyone could pick the E5s over them. But, to each his own...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back