Westone UM2 Repair
Oct 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Ciraac

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
So recently I purchased a pair of Westone UM2 IEMs. They were absolutely fantastic. Until, that is, they fell out of my pocket in a parking lot and were apparently run over or stepped on before I was able to retrieve them the next day.
Fortunately though, only the tips that connect the earphone tips and the actual earphones together broke off. I tried(stupidly) gluing them back together. That worked for a little while,  but I ended up having to reglue them and some glue must have blocked something up and the sound is now softer than I would like(though thank god- the glue just blocked up the passage a bit and isn't actually damaging anything afaik).
(I know, I know, very stupid of me)

So my question is, is there an easy way to replace the casing for the earphones? I'd rather not replace 200 dollar IEMs over a problem with the 2 dollar plastic casing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 22, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 10
Oct 23, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 10
I broke my UM2 and emailed Westone support. They said they could repair/replace the shell. I don't remember the cost, but it was high enough that I decided not to do it and just bought another used pair. I still have the broken pair, someday I might try to reshell them.

PS, I also tried to glue mine - and one side also didn't line up correctly and was muted. So - don't feel bad - there's enough stupid in the world for all of us to share... :D

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 10
  Inearz remold for 95$ + 10$ shipping and 35$ for the cable.
http://www.inearz.com/products/iemr-remolding/

Ask westone to see if they can replace one of the sides but I highly doubt it. 

Alternatively you could get a shure shell and put them inside, but you still have to buy the connectors and a cable which is crazy if you don't have soldering expertise. 
http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=2424

Hmm. The remold looks promising. Anybody else have opinions on inearz remolding(or if there's a cheaper option? :p)

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 10
That's the cheapest option. Ask for a clear/transparent color with a black cable and you'll be pretty happy with the result. You have to find an audiologist in your region to make the impressions and then send them to Inearz in FL. 

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #6 of 10
  That's the cheapest option. Ask for a clear/transparent color with a black cable and you'll be pretty happy with the result. You have to find an audiologist in your region to make the impressions and then send them to Inearz in FL. 

So there's no way to just get a new shell without it being custom molded to your ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back