Westone UM2 or Future Sonics Atrio
Apr 1, 2008 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ktrol17

New Head-Fier
I have it down to these two earphones. I am going to put an order in for one of the two. I need to know which is the most recommended way to go for someone who listens to mostly rock music and is looking for comfort and working out with as top priorities.

Apr 1, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 17
If comfort is your top priority, go with UM2. The most comfortable universal IEM I have tried (I tried E500, Atrio M5, IM716 and SF5pro). They look better too ( the clear one). Other than that, go with Atrio M5 for the SQ alone (their bass is amazing).

Apr 2, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 17
I have owned the UM2's for over a year, and think they are great. Very comfortable, great sound, and great isolation. I primarily use them on plane flights, and they block out babies crying, people yammering, etc. The only downside is then the pilot is talking, you miss that, too.

Apr 3, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 17
The UM2 is double in price! Having said that the M5 is very comfortable with the foamies and the bass is awesome. Do you have an amp? If not get the M5 and buy an amp with it for the cost of the UM2.

Apr 8, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UM2 by a country mile. They are among the elite in universal IEM's. Amazing sound, amazing comfort. I'd be amazed if the Atrio got a single nod.

Why do you say this ("by a country mile")? I have seen many people who have previously owned UM2 go to a Atrio's on this forum that say the Atrio has better SQ... I sort of get the impression that the UM2 is better in most other aspects though (comfort (which also doesn't make send being that you can use the same tips with either of them), cord quality (which makes sense)).

Apr 8, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

UM2 by a country mile. They are among the elite in universal IEM's. Amazing sound, amazing comfort. I'd be amazed if the Atrio got a single nod.

Well, prepare to be amazed, as here's a nod for the Atrios, at least in terms of SQ. This is not to denigrate the SQ of the UM2, which to my ears, is definitely excellent. But the Atrios provide that little extra bass "thump" which can mean the difference between something that just sounds good, to something that can get your toes tapping. (I use Shure olive foamies on both).
That said, as far as comfort goes, the nod would have to go to the UM2........of all the IEMs I have, the UM2s are by far the easiest to insert, the most comfy while in the ear, and they also have the best non-microphonic, non-tangling cord out there. Just my opinions of course.
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 17
I have both the UM2s and Atrio M5s. While I enjoy both, the Atrios provide the best sound quality to my ears, and using the Klipsch ear gels, they are also the most comfortable.

They are so close in many ways that I would suggest making an effort to audition each before making the choice, as personal preferences vary so much.

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 17
i am a former both owner and i am one of the biggest atrio supporters. they had only one flaw: not the best for trance. other than that, for me, they handily beat the westone and the shure e500.

they offer a more natural sound like well, you can relax to. um2 are comfortable but quite piercy (for me in the treble) though the atrio extend much further (at least they can make music past 18 or 19 000) which i have heard in signal tests that the um2 just was dead silent for.

comfort and isolation: westone
cable noise: no one compares to westone.

but sq overall: atrio. as soon as i got used to the atrio, i could not go back to the um2 and sold them. one major drawback of westone um2 is the hiss from any source at all ever. you either need an impedance adapter or an amp. the atrio are not as sensitive and made music sound good even just dap and atrio.

they change nature more than westone with tips though: dark - foamies from shure.

detailed and stage: use the stock biflange

best of both: shure grey silicon tips.

Atrio are special by any means. some people prefer more expensive phones but i have a feeling it is either fotm for that phone or just the psychology of a more expensive phone

May 7, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #11 of 17
Great thread! But how far below the Westones are the Atrios when it comes to wearer comfort, and microphonics? Will even people with wiggly and/or narrow ear canals get used to them? (My experience is limited to the Senn CX300, which my ears had no problems accepting.)

May 30, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #12 of 17
Isn't the Westone UM2 better than the Atrio M8?

May 30, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

x2 on this one, its clear the atrio's are a little overrated when people pick them as clear um2 beaters, this just is not the case, the um2 is certainly one of the best around and the atrio's are good but still not good enough to break out of the elite middle of the road selection of IEM'S.

OP. my vote goes to um2, armatures certainly do better justice to rock, dynamics in general are simply not as clear usually, i dont talk for all dynamics ofcourse, hope this helps your decision

May 30, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #14 of 17
It might just be me but the Atrio's laidback and recessed presentation bothers me a lot...there seems to be a massive veil. I havent heard any other IEMs, but i think the clarity is sub par (psychologically masked by superb isolation). They sound so "mid-fi".

I didn't think they were that bad for techno. They sound good enough for me playing infected mushroom. Vocals...especially female they suck badly IMO. Terrible with instrument/vocal separation too.

one thing that seems to irk other people, but not me is their "plastic echo". I can hear it if im really looking for it, but i kind of think it gives them more air and space which people perceive as a decent soundstage for an IEM.

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by F155mph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM2 is double in price! Having said that the M5 is very comfortable with the foamies and the bass is awesome. Do you have an amp? If not get the M5 and buy an amp with it for the cost of the UM2.

the Um2 is not double the price....the Um2 is about $50 more depending on where you get it. For retail, it's still only $100 more. But i would pay the extra 100 for the comfort, build quality, material, and the sound signature i prefer.

Now don't mistaken, the Atrio is a FANTASTIC earphone, just i prefer the sound signature and detail of the UM2 over the Atrio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back