Westone UM2 ( $275 ) vs. Shure E5 ( $310 )
Aug 19, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #16 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
...I heard starting September, the UM2 will come with a Shure like portable zip case instead of the indestructable pelican box. Therefore, if you wanna order now. Hurry up. The pelican box is really awesome.

Is this the Pelican box you're referring to?

73_12_sb.JPG

Quote:

It is brand new. Never opened.

Then why are they advertised this way?:

Quote:

Originally Posted by FREQ CITY SOUND & LIGHTING / CINCINNATI OHIO
I have several sets of UM2's that where opened so I can't sell as new, they are un-used.

I find this confusing...
confused.gif

Aug 20, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #20 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dave
I would love to hear a comparison among the UE Super Fi Pros, the Shure E5s and the Westone UM2s. Anyone able to do that?

Wouldn't you think that two $500 MSRP sets of earphones would likely sound better than a $250 MSRP pair? I would really hope so, because I know I could have gotten the Super Fi Pros for a good bit cheaper than the UM2's or the e5's. I know price does not always necessarily indicate quality, but it does to a certain extent.

Does anyone think they are actually even close in comparison?

Aug 20, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #21 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dave
I would love to hear a comparison among the UE Super Fi Pros, the Shure E5s and the Westone UM2s. Anyone able to do that?

I'm pretty sure Aaron/Jasper can do that. He owns the 5pro, E5, and spent a lot of time w/ the UM2.

Aug 20, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #23 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Jester
Wouldn't you think that two $500 MSRP sets of earphones would likely sound better than a $250 MSRP pair? I would really hope so, because I know I could have gotten the Super Fi Pros for a good bit cheaper than the UM2's or the e5's. I know price does not always necessarily indicate quality, but it does to a certain extent.

Does anyone think they are actually even close in comparison?

I have all three and they all have plus a minuses. The UM2 being the best IMHO of all three for its balanced presentation, strong bass and good clarity. The SF5P is good too, but it is quite veiled at the top end in comparison and the bottom end may at times sound uncontrolled and boomy and in overall, it lacks the clarity and great sound presentation of the UM2. The E5 is all about the mids, so I would not say that it sounds balanced. The mid hump places emphasis on vocals and it is something that singers like to have when monitoring vocals. In comparison, it has less clarity than the UM2 and slightly less bass as well. As far as comfort to wear, I rank the UM2 at the top for being the most comfortable, then the E5 and last the SF5P. In terms of build quality I would rank the E5 first, UM2 second and SF5P last.

Aug 20, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #24 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
Is this the Pelican box you're referring to?

73_12_sb.JPG

Then why are they advertised this way?:

I find this confusing...
confused.gif

YES, that is the case I am talking about.

I DO not know why they advertise that way. YOu have to ask the guy. How do I know it is brand new because I asked him, and he promised me he ganna send me a brand new, and it is been wrapped by a plastic thing, so I assume it is brand new.

Just look at how many people bought it from them. They are really great to deal with.

Aug 20, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #25 of 59
Quote:

YES, that is the case I am talking about.

I DO not know why they advertise that way. YOu have to ask the guy. How do I know it is brand new because I asked him, and he promised me he ganna send me a brand new, and it is been wrapped by a plastic thing, so I assume it is brand new.

Just look at how many people bought it from them. They are really great to deal with.

Thanks for the reply, solvexyz. I'm wasn't disputing you, however, I just found it strange that they would make that statement in the ad.

OK, moving on now:

In this thread, there are several comments referring to the perception that the UM2 has "shrillness" and "sibilance" on the top end. Do any of you others find this to be the case?

I'm thinking about ordering these soon but I would like to hear some more opinions regarding the alleged treble harshness. If in fact this is a common trait of the UM2, then I don't want them.

Aug 20, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #26 of 59
The Westones are good, I just prefer the E5 sound better. It's cleaner, more defined, and the units are built like tanks. I don't recall the UM2s as being sibilant or shrill, just more emphasis on the high end over the Shures.

Aug 20, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #27 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
Thanks for the reply, solvexyz. I'm wasn't disputing you, however, I just found it strange that they would make that statement in the ad.

OK, moving on now:

In this thread, there are several comments referring to the perception that the UM2 has "shrillness" and "sibilance" on the top end. Do any of you others find this to be the case?

I'm thinking about ordering these soon but I would like to hear some more opinions regarding the alleged treble harshness. If in fact this is a common trait of the UM2, then I don't want them.

Hi, I would say it happens only on 2 tracks that I listened, but in general, I am fine with them. However, there are some people also saying UM2 has rolled off treble comparing to shure e4c, and using treble boost EQ settings on their iPod. Therefore, I believe in general they are ok. I like UM2 more than my shure e4c.

And really, if you do not like UM2, you can easily sell it.

Aug 20, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #28 of 59
If I'm gonna be honest with myself, I may as well admit that in less than 12 months, I know I'll be seeing the e5's delivered to my door. I really hate to spend the money, but I know I will..........with the next outrageously expensive step being the UE10's.

Just reading this post, however, brings to light one of the major difficulties when buying audio products that you are unable to test first. Half of the posts on this thread say that the UM2 is more precise and has better clarity.........the other half say that the e5 is more precise and more clear. Sure there are differences in the actual sound.....mid forward in the Shures, more bass/mid-treble in the Westones............but people will always have different opinions about which is a better overall sound. Thats why you can't even trust a professional's review of a particular piece of audio equipment. I've learned this lesson about car audio already, and now the same thing applies here.

Maybe from now on, people should not ask "which one is better", but instead only ask "how do you perceive the sound and what do YOU listen to".

Aug 20, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #29 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Jester
If I'm gonna be honest with myself, I may as well admit that in less than 12 months, I know I'll be seeing the e5's delivered to my door. I really hate to spend the money, but I know I will..........with the next outrageously expensive step being the UE10's.

Just reading this post, however, brings to light one of the major difficulties when buying audio products that you are unable to test first. Half of the posts on this thread say that the UM2 is more precise and has better clarity.........the other half say that the e5 is more precise and more clear. Sure there are differences in the actual sound.....mid forward in the Shures, more bass/mid-treble in the Westones............but people will always have different opinions about which is a better overall sound. Thats why you can't even trust a professional's review of a particular piece of audio equipment. I've learned this lesson about car audio already, and now the same thing applies here.

Maybe from now on, people should not ask "which one is better", but instead only ask "how do you perceive the sound and what do YOU listen to".

You are exactly right! Very sagacious of you. That's why you should believe ME - E5s are better
very_evil_smiley.gif
!

Aug 20, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #30 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer
You are exactly right! Very sagacious of you. That's why you should believe ME - E5s are better
very_evil_smiley.gif
!

define better................................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back