Westone UM2 ( $275 ) vs. Shure E5 ( $310 )
Aug 18, 2005 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

DJ Jester

New Head-Fier
These are the prices I have been offered. Currently I own a pair of Shure e3's and while I enjoy them somewhat, I definitely need more.
Main difference I have noted between the two is that the impedence on the Westone's is 27 Ohms while the Shure's is 110 Ohms.
I have done a fairly significant amount of research on both companies and I have heard great reviews about both units.

They WILL be amplified with plenty of clean power.

I listen mainly to:
Classic Rock ( Bob Dylan, Aerosmith, Cream, David Bowie, Hendrix, Pink Floyd )
Drum and Bass ( quick highs, very tonal bass )
Breakbeats ( Very bassy, needs somewhat bright highs and strong bass )
Comtemporary ( Dave Matthews Band, Killers, lots of acoustic )
Classical Symphony ( Mussorsky, Tchaikovsky, Handel, Vivaldi )
Jazz and Blues

I will rarely or never listen to Rap, Heavy Metal or most other types of music.

Can someone please give me their complete and unadulterated opinion about which of the two would be best suited to play these types of music, amped, from an Ipod 60GB photo, iriver IFP-999, and IAudio X5.
I would really appreciate any help that anyone could offer. I have read every post on this forum about both sets of earphones and I would just like to hear what people think has the best sound for my type of music and the best synergy with the mp3 players that I have ( or am getting )

Thanks so much!!!!!!

Aug 19, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 59
I just got my UM2s a couple weeks ago for $275 from freqcitysound on ebay. I love them. I enjoy them even more than my SR 80. They have better bass and are more detailed, though they lack some of the Grado's impact. I have never heard the E5, but if you already have the dough, you can't lose with the Westone model, in my opinion.

Aug 19, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 59
i just got my um2's a couple of days ago and after listening to my friends e5c's, i say the um2's are a better overall purchase. first off the design of the e5c is very tacky, the cord is heavy and the crossover is huge compared to the um2's. the ear placement of the e5c's are very uncomfortable compared to the um2's. after having the e5c's in my ear for a couple of songs, i noticed that my ears felt a bit sore and i could feel the weight of the cord on my ears. the um2's are a total different story, unbeleivable comfort all the way through, light cord and after a while i cant even feel them in my ears: great design! the sound quality of both are great, but i will have to go with the um2's on this one as well. the e5c's sound good but the music seems to blend to much and i feel there is less accuracy in the e5c's. the sound compared to the um2's are almost similar but the um2's have more clarity and also has the accuracy the e5c's lack. the bass response in the um2's are unbeleivable! i heard some say the e5c's are more musical but i disagree, the um2's have a very balanced sound that leaves you in awe. with the um2's you hear the music the way its supposed to sound, amazing! Um2's all the way!!
BTW my friend that has the e5c's is going to sell his for a set of um2's, he was so jealous of my um2's
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 59
I also got my UM2s for the same price, and have been very pleased. If you can get yours below the suggested retail, you should snap at the deal -- especially if they have the black cables. They sound really good and are build very solidly.

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #5 of 59
Had the E5's for a couple of months, sold them, got the UM2's and never looked back.

To me, at least:

1> UM2's have better highs,equal mids, bass, and presence
2> are infinitely more comfortable

BarryT

Aug 19, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
I also got mine for the same price, and have been very pleased. The reason why these UM2s are for sale for such a reasonable price is likely because they have clear cables (not the current black cables). The clear cables, if not cared for properly, have been known to oxidize green. (See my blog below for details.)

The good news is that most UM2 users don't have a problem with greening, and the problem is easily avoided. In the meantime, this price is a steal and probably won't last too long.

smily_headphones1.gif

I too got for $275 from freqcitysound on ebay. It is brand new with black cable, and also, I heard starting September, the UM2 will come with a Shure like portable zip case instead of the indestructable pelican box. Therefore, if you wanna order now. Hurry up. The pelican box is really awesome.

Aug 19, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 59
Yeah, I am talking about the very friendly guy at Freqcitysound, as well. He was selling a used pair for $275, but I made such a fuss about them being in PERFECT condition that he just offered me a new pair for the same price.

I think all of you have convinced me. I'm gonna get the UM2's. THANKS!

Alright, I just e-mail Mike @ Freqcitysound to confirm that I'm gonna buy the UM2's. Damn, I'm excited. I just really hope that I've made the right choice. No looking back now, though.

Thanks for all of the help!

Jester

Aug 19, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 59
Get the UM2's!, I got mine from that guy on ebay too. They sound amazing and very balanced.

P.S

Does anyone use their UM2's with an Ipod? and what does it sound like. Does the Ipod ruin the bass on the UM2's compared with other players?

Aug 19, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #13 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by elephantman
I don't understand why the dealer says the UM2 is opened but not used, how's that possible, either its opened/returned or not, I don't get it.

It is brand new. Never opened.

Aug 19, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #14 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric_Mofo
Get the UM2's!, I got mine from that guy on ebay too. They sound amazing and very balanced.

P.S

Does anyone use their UM2's with an Ipod? and what does it sound like. Does the Ipod ruin the bass on the UM2's compared with other players?

Yes, I do and straight out of iPod no amp. The bass is really damn strong, so much more than my Shure E4C.

Aug 19, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #15 of 59
I prefer the E5 by a pretty large margin. The whole time I listened to the UM2 it sounded like something was missing. The sound was also quite dead and lifeless. The E5 on the other hand presents a full and lively sound.

FWIW, I prefer the E4 to both, but it may not do as well with some of your bassier stuff depending upon what source you're using. They sounded rather thin with the Meridian 508. Interestingly enough, when I paired it with the Headroom Desktop DAC/amp the sound was full and lush with lots of bottom end. The only problem there was that the highs rolled off a bit more than I liked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back