Westone UM1 vs. Etymotic ER-6i
Dec 30, 2005 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Dark_Archon

Head-Fier
I currently have a pair of SONY MDR-EX71, and I'm looking for better headphones.

I've narrowed it down to the UM1s and the ER-6i. Which one is better?

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Archon
I currently have a pair of SONY MDR-EX71, and I'm looking for better headphones.

I've narrowed it down to the UM1s and the ER-6i. Which one is better?

Depends what you want out of your earphone.
The UM1 was better for me.

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whorehay
Depends what you want out of your earphone.
The UM1 was better for me.

I listen to all kinds of stuff, from Metal to Classical.

The only kind of music I don't listen to is the soft rock/pop kind of stuff, and Rap.

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 29
I had both. Sold the ER6i because its bass is too thin for my tastes. They cannot handle hip-hop, metal songs very well. But did well for techno songs with its deep tight precise bass. I prefer the UM1 and find that they have more details in the midrange than the ER6i.

To me, bass is very important. The ER6i failed to engage me in the music while the UM1 is able to.

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 29
Be sure to consider the Altec Lansing im717 (or maybe im716, not sure about the exact number). It is about $120 and is supposed to be some kind of ER-4S and ER-4P hybrid, if reports are true it is a ER-4S where the bass boost mode turns it into an ER-4P, and if so then it is a great deal.

I have the UM1s, I had the ER-4P some time ago but I forgot about how they were other than that they had considerably more bass than head-fi reports claim, I haven't heard the ER-6is. I find the UM1s to be quite nice, non-microphonic, fit nicely in the ear (i.e. lower profile). The general head-fi wisdom appears to be that the UM1/2 are tipped more towards the bottom part of the frequency spectrum and the ER-6i are tipped more towards the top. As far as the UM1s go I think those reports are fairly accurate, I don't know about the ER-6i.

Dec 31, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 29
I found a store where I can get the Ety ER-6i for $90.01 including shipping. I'm still waiting for more feedback on the UM1s, but the cheapest I found the Altec Lansing im717 was for like $140 which I can't quite afford.

Dec 31, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #9 of 29
Crystal-clear highs and detailed sound are the main attractions of ER-6is. The bass is a bit lean, and the sound signature is "cold", but very accurate. Coming from EX71s, you would lose the fat bass and get a listenable high and midrange.

Dec 31, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #10 of 29
i would like to try the etys just to compare. i have the UM1 and i really enjoy them. they pack a great sound.

i listen to mostly electronica (breakbeat) and classical.

i do not like things too bright and too trebly, even in classical, it just fatigues me. so the reputed warmer sound of the UM1 is pleasant for me with classical. i dont find a problem with them handling detail in classical. and the warm signature is perfect for rock and electronica. vocals sound just fine. midrange sounds great too. i dont mind slightly rolled off highs, that probably would cause it to be too bright ot me. i also dont like muddy bass, but good bass. these are the ebst of both worlds to me. i could see brighter highs being a bit much.

i guess, from what i have gathered on here in regards to IEM i prefer a warm more 3d sound rather than a cold and analytical 2d sound.

the UM1 do it for me.

im gonna save up for the ES2 hopefully next year, after i get my digital slr. then my portable IEM setup should be fine.

Jan 7, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #11 of 29
I found ER-6i's for $91.99 at Buy.com, but if you sign up for a credit card, you get an extra $25 off an order, so I went with them.

Jan 8, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #14 of 29
Most people say UM1s have a better bass than er6i.
If that's important to you, then go for the UM1s. Besides it looks like er6i gain alot when amped.
I bought a pair of er6i. When they arrive, next week I'll see if I post a review
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtr3me
Most people say UM1s have a better bass than er6i.
If that's important to you, then go for the UM1s. Besides it looks like er6i gain alot when amped.
I bought a pair of er6i. When they arrive, next week I'll see if I post a review
biggrin.gif

I ordered er6i's a while ago, and they should arrive pretty soon. I'm quite excited about getting them. I'll be glad to be rid of my SONY EX-71's

I decided with the ER6i's because clarity is more important to me than bass (and I could get them for about $40 less
icon10.gif
.)

About amps though, does anybody know what amps(<=$100) work well with the 6i's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back