Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Aug 11, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #2,357 of 3,037
I'm sorry but I lost my last message, tell me how to define on the wire right and left channel?

They have dot marking on the housing of the mmcx connector to distinguish between left and right sides (for a blind id). But to be 100% sure, once you attach the cable, use your DAP balance control to fade Left/Right and see if you connected cable correctly.

Aug 12, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #2,358 of 3,037
You guys have to try the Sonarworks calibration (TrueFi) for the UM Pro 50 because it helps flatten the eq curve via software. It blew me away. My um pro 50 never sounded so good.

Its in beta though. https://www.sonarworks.com/truefi

Unfortunately they haven't calibrated the Um Pro 50 specifically(at least not yet). However they did calibrate the Shures SE 215 and the curves are close enough.

1. Install the free beta. https://www.sonarworks.com/truefi
2. Pick the Shure SE 215 preset
3. Plugin your Um Pro 50.
4. Request the Pro 50 calibration. With enough requests, they will do it.

Aug 12, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #2,359 of 3,037
They have dot marking on the housing of the mmcx connector to distinguish between left and right sides (for a blind id). But to be 100% sure, once you attach the cable, use your DAP balance control to fade Left/Right and see if you connected cable correctly.
meant included cable, there is a connector right and left? how is it determined?

Aug 13, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #2,362 of 3,037
meant included cable, there is a connector right and left? how is it determined?

The right side connector housing has one dot and the left side has two dots so you can visually determine which one is which on the cable. But if you are still in doubt, you can always use balance control of your source to fade left/right to confirm if you connected the cable correctly.

Aug 13, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #2,363 of 3,037
The second generation of the pro line could not have come at a worse time for me , just after i recieved an older model and right now as i am triing to sell it, looks like i wont even get half of what i paid for it. -1 for "made in America"

I asked Westone already about trade-in program for the previous owners. Would have been a good idea to retain customers, and I hope they can consider it, though I haven't heard back yet.

Aug 14, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #2,365 of 3,037
The right side connector housing has one dot and the left side has two dots so you can visually determine which one is which on the cable. But if you are still in doubt, you can always use balance control of your source to fade left/right to confirm if you connected the cable correctly.
I was the opposite and now I corrected it.

Aug 21, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #2,367 of 3,037
I'm looking for 4.4mm balanced cable for UM series, does anyone have any source?

Do you have 2.5mm balanced cable already? If you do, maybe you can look into 2.5mm TRRS to 4.4mm adapter? Otherwise, any custom cable company will be able to make you a cable with 4.4mm pentaconn connector. Effect Audio, Whiplash Audio, ALO Audio, and PlusSound are among popular and reliable sources. You can also ask these companies if they can re-terminate your existing cable, as long as you have 4 separate conductors going to headphone plug and ground is not joined below y-splitter.

Based on my personal preference, I found pure silver cables pair up really well with UM series, tightens the bass with more texture and gives extra sparkle to top end.

Aug 21, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #2,368 of 3,037
Do you have 2.5mm balanced cable already? If you do, maybe you can look into 2.5mm TRRS to 4.4mm adapter? Otherwise, any custom cable company will be able to make you a cable with 4.4mm pentaconn connector. Effect Audio, Whiplash Audio, ALO Audio, and PlusSound are among popular and reliable sources. You can also ask these companies if they can re-terminate your existing cable, as long as you have 4 separate conductors going to headphone plug and ground is not joined below y-splitter.

Based on my personal preference, I found pure silver cables pair up really well with UM series, tightens the bass with more texture and gives extra sparkle to top end.

Yes, I have 2.5mm but not balanced. I will ask around to a few of the companies mentioned. I want to try my Sony NW-WM1Z on balanced badly. Thank you Twister6

Aug 21, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #2,369 of 3,037
Yes, I have 2.5mm but not balanced. I will ask around to a few of the companies mentioned. I want to try my Sony NW-WM1Z on balanced badly. Thank you Twister6

2.5mm TRRS connection is balanced, the standard adopted by A&K and then followed by others.

2_5mm%2BTRRS%2Bpinout.jpg

So, if your 2.5mm looks like this (Tip Ring Ring Sleeve) - it's balanced.

Just google 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter, there are plenty. This way you don't have to invest into a new cable or you can "test" your existing 2.5mm terminated cable to find out how it sounds balanced with your 1Z. You can re-terminate it later or get a new cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back