Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Jul 22, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #2,341 of 3,037
Try using the star tips that came with the UM 30. They are a night and day difference from the Comply Foams.
My ear canal have some pretty weird shape and could never get a good seal with star tips. The only silicon tips fit well are spinfit and Sony tips.

Jul 22, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #2,342 of 3,037
Anyway the spinfits arrived and I tried them immediately, and, WOW! What you guys said are true, really night and day differences. The bass takes a step back, and there's a very small lift in the highs but enough to add a bit of transparency. Now the sound character is more like the 10 (though still darker) but with better detail and more refined.

Thanks everyone. I really like what they sound right now.

Jul 22, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #2,343 of 3,037
Anyway the spinfits arrived and I tried them immediately, and, WOW! What you guys said are true, really night and day differences. The bass takes a step back, and there's a very small lift in the highs but enough to add a bit of transparency. Now the sound character is more like the 10 (though still darker) but with better detail and more refined.

Thanks everyone. I really like what they sound right now.

That's spot on how I hear going from foamies to silicone tips! I don't use Spinfits with Westone iems (I have wider bore spinfits for bigger diameter nozzles), but with other iems i tried them - it was always very comfortable and they balance out sound nicely.

Aug 4, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #2,346 of 3,037
Hi, has anybody tried the new UM Pro 2017? Pro 30 or Pro 50 in particular. please share any impressions compared to the old version. according to a few posts back there is no change to the sound tuning and audio quality. thanks

Aug 4, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #2,347 of 3,037
Hi, has anybody tried the new UM Pro 2017? Pro 30 or Pro 50 in particular. please share any impressions compared to the old version. according to a few posts back there is no change to the sound tuning and audio quality. thanks

I have tried them and they are the same in sound in my opinion. But I did not compare them with the old ones side by side (from memory).

can somebody say which is better pro 30 or w30?

It depends on your preference, the UM Pro series has a thicker warmer sound, the W series is a bit more balanced.

Aug 5, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #2,348 of 3,037
By the way, Westone is selling their old stock of UM PRO 50s for $436 on Amazon. I'm picking up a pair to compare with my new ATH-IM04 and 1More Quad in relation to my W3s, W4s, and SE846s (maybe even the my Etomotic Er4s.) Source will be FiiO X5II. I'm hoping they're not too warm and that the sound stage and atmospherics will be tremendous. My go-to IEMs are the W3s, and I want to break out of this modus operandi.

Aug 5, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #2,349 of 3,037
There is no sound stage with the umpro 50 meaning that all ques are positioned inside the head not to say its congested in anyway everything has its place its just not miles away and never behind you which is can be distracting somtimes

Saying that I would give a iem like the umpro 50 with added 3d soundscape a try, what ever that may be,

You want the umpro 50 for punchy bass you can feel in your throat (not quite the chest ), tonality (guitars + drums) and last but not least comfort; both physically and audibility.

If I was going to use one word for the umpro50 that word would be "TIGHT" then after that "punchy", "smooth", "comfortable" "detailed" both "analytical"/"musical", "fast" and "warm" "realistic" come to mind. "Intimate" I would leave out because it now sounds like I am describing what I think sex with another person might be like haha, wrong way go :back:.

Other phrases I would not use to describe the Umpro 50 are: "airy" "spacious" "sibilant" "fatiguing" "euphoric" "sloppy" "immersive" "bass light"

I own both the w3 and umpro 50 the w3 has The larger sound stage and mid bass, although they are 2 qualities I look for, they still can not hold a candle to the tighter more controlled sound of the umpro 50

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #2,350 of 3,037
There is no sound stage with the umpro 50 meaning that all ques are positioned inside the head

would give my left nut for a iem like the umpro 50 with added 3d soundscape , what ever that may be,

You want the umpro 50 for punchy bass you can feel in your throat (not quite the chest ), tonality (guitars + drums) and last but not least comfort; both physically and audibility.

I own both the w3 and umpro 50 the w3 has a larger sound stage and bass, although they are 2 qualities I look for, they still can not compare to the tighter more controlled sound of the umpro 50

Yeah, lack of that expanded soundstage is noticeable when you A/Bing with some other IEMs. I working on another review now (U4-SE), and was comparing UMPro50 last night, that was a nice refresh :) UMPro series was developed for performing stage musicians where you want to keep the focus on all the sounds without that out-of-your-head experience. W-series has a wider soundstage because it's developed for consumers and audiophiles who are more picky about positioning and imaging.

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #2,351 of 3,037
There is no sound stage with the umpro 50 meaning that all ques are positioned inside the head

would give my left nut for a iem like the umpro 50 with added 3d soundscape , what ever that may be,

I own both the w3 and umpro 50 the w3 has a larger sound stage and bass, although they are 2 qualities I look for, they still can not compare to the tighter more controlled sound of the umpro 50

Agree with everything you said. Have you listened to 1964ears U8? It's pretty close to the UMPro50 with soundstage.

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #2,352 of 3,037
By the way, Westone is selling their old stock of UM PRO 50s for $436 on Amazon. I'm picking up a pair to compare with my new ATH-IM04 and 1More Quad in relation to my W3s, W4s, and SE846s (maybe even the my Etomotic Er4s.) Source will be FiiO X5II. I'm hoping they're not too warm and that the sound stage and atmospherics will be tremendous. My go-to IEMs are the W3s, and I want to break out of this modus operandi.

2nd gen X5ii, right? Not X5iii? You should be good with X5ii. X5iii is warmer, won't pair up as good as X5ii which has a more neutral sound sig and a little brighter tonality. That $436 is a good deal, just make sure it's from an authorized dealer, sometimes even 3rd parties sell it under Prime and if you get it from unauthorized dealer/seller - there is no warranty.

Aug 6, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #2,353 of 3,037
Agree with everything you said. Have you listened to 1964ears U8? It's pretty close to the UMPro50 with soundstage.[/QUOTE

Goin to chek it out, thanks!

I know I said I would give my left nut away but this was in fact a lie , after realising I wouldnt give 1500 hundred dollars away for the u8...Maybe if i could hear them first, who knows?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #2,354 of 3,037
The second generation of the pro line could not have come at a worse time for me , just after i recieved an older model and right now as i am triing to sell it, looks like i wont even get half of what i paid for it. -1 for "made in America"

Aug 7, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #2,355 of 3,037
I'm trying to upgarde my IEM and looking for something tuned to house/tech house music mainly and i stumbled upon the W30 and UM pro 30 then saw the 40s are on sale, so would should i go with?i heard W40 are more suited for private listening (home/office)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back