Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Apr 23, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #1,801 of 3,037
Do any of you use amplification with the UM Pro 50s? I am curious about this because I notice some people using the AM2 over the AM1 for the X7 even with their IEMs. I wonder if that is really necessary for these IEMs. I hooked up the UM Pro 50s to the K5, and I didn't notice any improvement.

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #1,802 of 3,037
  Do any of you use amplification with the UM Pro 50s? I am curious about this because I notice some people using the AM2 over the AM1 for the X7 even with their IEMs. I wonder if that is really necessary for these IEMs. I hooked up the UM Pro 50s to the K5, and I didn't notice any improvement.

The biggest advantage of AM2 over AM1 is not more power, if you need more power - wait for AM5.  AM2 changes the tonality of the sound because it uses different/better MUSE02 opamps, you get a fuller body sound which has a better synergy with UM Pro 50.

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #1,803 of 3,037

The biggest advantage of AM2 over AM1 is not more power, if you need more power - wait for AM5.  AM2 changes the tonality of the sound because it uses different/better MUSE02 opamps, you get a fuller body sound which has a better synergy with UM Pro 50.

Ah, so you've actually used the AM2 with the UM Pro 50? I might take the plunge with this then...

Apr 24, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #1,804 of 3,037
I only recently started using amplification with my Pro50's after going to Japan for a holiday. Sceptical about any improvement (as I'm perfectly happy with how the Pro50's sounds from my iPhone 6plus headphones output) I tried some portable DAC / amps combos and stumbled upon the Japanese made Venturecraft. The improvement the Vantam brought was substantial enough to bring it home. After reading that the stock opamp preamp chip could be swapped out for an even better BB 627BM I was convinced that I would find the ultimate sound signature I was looking for ... I mostly listen to Jazz and Classical.
Also tried the Muse02 opamp which fits inside the Vantam and although not bad and an mild improvement vs the stock opamp, the 627BM fits more with my sound signature preference.
Keep in mind that amplification isn't required technically for the Pro50's as they are easy to drive IEM.
Any extra investment to improvement sound is weighted vs diminishing returns so your milage may vary...
I do agree with Twister that the Muse02 (and also the OPA627BM) give better synergy with the Pro50's compared to the stock opamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 7, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #1,806 of 3,037
On a loan with a set of Pro 50s i must say that W30s hold up really well. To the point that i would go as far as saying that given the resources (3 armatures) is the best engineering effort that Westone has done.

In the transients and dynamics department the W30s sound more life like than the Pro 50s.

Being price i equal i might choose the Pro 50s (i like the unique bass-mid UM style) but at 400$ vs 700$ i'd buy the W30s ten out of ten.

I think W30s have been a departure in Westone house sound by featuring a linear relationship between subbass and bass and by putting more energy than usual in the lower treble region where Westone usually pulls back more energy.

Nice product the W30s and mesmerizing when you crank the volume way above.

Pro 50s are awesome...as long as you don't alternate them with headphones that don't have such a huge dip on lower treble. If you do so the weakness and odd transient performance of the the Pro 50s shows up along with an obvious lack of macrodynamics.

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

May 7, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #1,807 of 3,037
I have been using the AM2 with the UM Pro 50s (see sig for full chain). It is pretty good. I did not do serious volume matching or blind testing with the AM1, but I like what I hear. Slap on a Dignis case, and it looks good too.

May 10, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #1,808 of 3,037
Thanks thread! I finally broke down and ordered a pair of UM Pro 30s.

FYI, earphone solutions has a 100 off 399 coupon code: FZZ

Cheers!

cx2AhiG.jpg

Jun 9, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #1,809 of 3,037
bought a pair of UM pro 20's.

i was kind of on the fence; i didn't see a lot of reviews on here or thoughts about them.  however, they were brand new in the box for 179$ so i jumped based on some feedback elsewhere.

now that i try them, i think i see why nobody here mentions them.  they're completely unremarkable.  i feel kind of ripped off.  

i'll be tip rolling to see if it makes a difference, but there is absolutely nothing that impresses me about them and i've already tried my usual go-to tips.  not a lot of detail, not a lot of bass, not a lot of soundstage, treble, energy, prat, not a lot of anything whatsoever.  doesn't seem to handle complex tracks well either.  i love my hd600's, so i'm okay with a fairly neutral/natural signature and i wasn't expecting a whole lot.  but this is . . . less than neutral.  i feel like music is being withheld.  thankfully they hold onto my ear like a glove so i'm considering relegating them to workout duty.

anybody else's thoughts?  these are being ran out of my lg v10, which actually does a fair job with my hd600's.

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #1,811 of 3,037

No, Among a long list of IEM's, Pro50 is literally among 1 or 2 that I can flat out say DOES NOT benefit from amping.  And I listen on the loud side.  Perhaps other people's experiences are different.  I am using Ipod Classic with treble booster EQ setting.  A couple different amps, if anything, made the sound worse...a bit more tunnelish and too precise (versus laid back and more naturally open sounding).

It's the reason it has been my #1 go to IEM the last 18 months.
W30 will be brighter sounding and crispier and a bit rawere but Pro50 is much more refined and professional sounding.  Insanely smooth, a bit more textured and deeper bass.  Pro50 is Westone's flagship universal stage monitor so it is suppose to be non fatiguing and smooth.  Pro50 is a HUGE step up from UM3X but does similar things.

I had them at separate times but would love to do a side by side.  I'm pretty certain Pro50 would win out big but W30 is outstanding for it's price and the brighter sound sig may be prefered by many.

Jun 19, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #1,813 of 3,037
  No, Among a long list of IEM's, Pro50 is literally among 1 or 2 that I can flat out say DOES NOT benefit from amping.  And I listen on the loud side.  Perhaps other people's experiences are different.  I am using Ipod Classic with treble booster EQ setting.  A couple different amps, if anything, made the sound worse...a bit more tunnelish and too precise (versus laid back and more naturally open sounding).

It's the reason it has been my #1 go to IEM the last 18 months.
W30 will be brighter sounding and crispier and a bit rawere but Pro50 is much more refined and professional sounding.  Insanely smooth, a bit more textured and deeper bass.  Pro50 is Westone's flagship universal stage monitor so it is suppose to be non fatiguing and smooth.  Pro50 is a HUGE step up from UM3X but does similar things.

I had them at separate times but would love to do a side by side.  I'm pretty certain Pro50 would win out big but W30 is outstanding for it's price and the brighter sound sig may be prefered by many.

Love my W30`s, but sold my them to fund a set of UM 50 Pro`s that I was lucky enough to get a good deal on! 

I can agree completely with those impressions. Initially I was taken aback by how much warmer/full bodied the UM 50 Pro`s sounded, but behind that tonality, they actually have a LOT of detail. They`re kind of like a next level Shozy Cygnus, with enhanced, hyper textured bass, full bodied lower mids but still a lot of detail and clarity up top. Not really sure how people can say the treble is horribly recessed, that`s definitely not the case for me, they resolve plenty of detail at the very top. But the low end is the star, they`re just so textured, it`s sublime really.

It`s hard to describe such a unique sound, but it`s really nice overall. I tried the W40 and UM 30 Pro as well, by direct comparison, the UM 50 is immediately better, but worth almost 2x the price of these lower models? Probably not. Still, had my heart set on the UM 50`s, they`ll stick around for a long time. I already have my ie800`s to satisfy my urges for a brighter, hyper clear sound, the UM 50 Pro`s are the perfect complement. 

Jun 19, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #1,814 of 3,037

Love my W30`s, but sold my them to fund a set of UM 50 Pro`s that I was lucky enough to get a good deal on! 

I can agree completely with those impressions. Initially I was taken aback by how much warmer/full bodied the UM 50 Pro`s sounded, but behind that tonality, they actually have a LOT of detail. They`re kind of like a next level Shozy Cygnus, with enhanced, hyper textured bass, full bodied lower mids but still a lot of detail and clarity up top. Not really sure how people can say the treble is horribly recessed, that`s definitely not the case for me, they resolve plenty of detail at the very top. But the low end is the star, they`re just so textured, it`s sublime really.

It`s hard to describe such a unique sound, but it`s really nice overall. I tried the W40 and UM 30 Pro as well, by direct comparison, the UM 50 is immediately better, but worth almost 2x the price of these lower models? Probably not. Still, had my heart set on the UM 50`s, they`ll stick around for a long time. I already have my ie800`s to satisfy my urges for a brighter, hyper clear sound, the UM 50 Pro`s are the perfect complement. 

you like um pro50 more than w30?

Jun 19, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #1,815 of 3,037
  you like um pro50 more than w30?

Personally, I prefer the brighter tonality of the W30, but I already have the ie800`s for that so I was looking for something a little different. The UM 50 Pro is technically superior, it has more detail, the soundstage is a lot better and the bass is more textures with better extension. The biggest issue I had with the W30`s was the tubby housings, the UM range is a lot more comfortable for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back