Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Feb 12, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #1,141 of 3,037
  Oh nothing. I'm just not a huge believer in cables but I guess you're use to it. 

Wire is not going to improve your sound magically.  Just think of it as a filter.  You have a high quality lossless audio file, high res DAP with a quality DAC/amp, and a piece of wire connecting your multi-driver $500+ IEMs.  It's a bottleneck, a filter that's going to degrade your sound due to it's impedance (resistance) and purity of the material.  Lower resistance, high quality/purity wire strands, and more interwoven strands (or thicker wire) will mean less degradation and not as much loss.  Plus different materials excite electrons at different frequencies to add more energy.  The improvement effect could be very subtle or more noticeable.  All depends on your source, on your headphones/drivers, and on original OEM cable you comparing replacement to.  It's a fun experiment, but make no mistake - you will hear difference.

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #1,142 of 3,037

Wire is not going to improve your sound magically.  Just think of it as a filter.  You have a high quality lossless audio file, high res DAP with a quality DAC/amp, and a piece of wire connecting your multi-driver $500+ IEMs.  It's a bottleneck, a filter that's going to degrade your sound due to it's impedance (resistance) and purity of the material.  Lower resistance, high quality/purity wire strands, and more interwoven strands (or thicker wire) will mean less degradation and not as much loss.  Plus different materials excite electrons at different frequencies to add more energy.  The improvement effect could be very subtle or more noticeable.  All depends on your source, on your headphones/drivers, and on original OEM cable you comparing replacement to.  It's a fun experiment, but make no mistake - you will hear difference.

Disclaimer before I start: I am new to this game and have old man ears.  And I see that you have lot more experience than I do in testing and reviewing gear.

Having said that, I have the BAX cable on my UMPro30 and didn't hear a difference either way (good or bad).  I, however, love the cable and use it for working out.  It's strong and you don't even know it's there.  Especially when jogging, it doesn't tug on the buds or create microphonics.  I love this cable.

And yes, some cables can make a difference, as you stated above, where you can hear a different sound signature. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #1,143 of 3,037
Disclaimer before I start: I am new to this game and have old man ears.  And I see that you have lot more experience than I do in testing and reviewing gear.

Having said that, I have the BAX cable on my UMPro30 and didn't hear a difference either way (good or bad).  I, however, love the cable and use it for working out.  It's strong and you don't even know it's there.  Especially when jogging, it doesn't tug on the buds or create microphonics.  I love this cable.

And yes, some cables can make a difference, as you stated above, where you can hear a different sound signature. 

Got UM Pro 30 as well. Will test and let you know.

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #1,144 of 3,037
  Glad you like it. They are awesome. Which tips are you using? True-Fit (foams) or Star-Tip (silicon)?

i'm using the star tip tips. Haven't the foam ones yet. 

On the travel case, any1 whats the point of the knob? 

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #1,145 of 3,037
Hi all, an update for my broken Um Pro 30. Today I got a feedback from the ciem company which has took a look to my Um Pro. The issue is just a faulty connection of the negative pole of the cable. I will get also the remold since they said the shell would be really fragile otherwise. I'm so happy I can have my Westone back to life. Sadly I need to pay the reshell but they said I will have a special discount since I bought also their flagship Ciem.

I will be poor soon but happy nonetheless :D

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #1,147 of 3,037

Air vent to release the pressure inside of the case.

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #1,148 of 3,037
  Hi Guys - anyone here have experience comparing the UM Pro 50 to the W60?  

I was trying to get W60 review sample, but no luck so far.  But I recall there was a comparison somewhere on earphonesolutions website and also on head-fi, just search in the forum or google it :wink:

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #1,149 of 3,037
I've got the W60s now and I've just ordered the UM Pro 50s from amazon UK, they will get to me by saturday.

I plan on trying them both on saturday and choosing one as my IEM :)

I love the W60s but hungry for just a tad more bass.

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #1,150 of 3,037

Needed to use the air vent (the knob as referred to by you) once after a long haul flight in order to open it.
The seal on the box is not only water tight but also air tight.

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #1,151 of 3,037

I can't believe it took me less than 10 mins to decide on buying a silver dragon v1 cable yet I still haven't gotten around to buy the epic cable that I promised at the end of last year.
I couldn't bring my self to get the epic cable for $75 yet I just committed to purchase a $100 cable. I think I might have hit my head on something. Something is seriously wrong with me. Twister6, I do hope you are right. Oh yeah, I'm also on the verge of purchasing a pair of T1's.  

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #1,152 of 3,037
  I can't believe it took me less than 10 mins to decide on buying a silver dragon v1 cable yet I still haven't gotten around to buy the epic cable that I promised at the end of last year.
I couldn't bring my self to get the epic cable for $75 yet I just committed to purchase a $100 cable. I think I might have hit my head on something. Something is seriously wrong with me. Twister6, I do hope you are right. Oh yeah, I'm also on the verge of purchasing a pair of T1's.  

I thought that silver dragon v1 cable was close to $200?  Do you have it or waiting to receive it?  Or did you buy it from someone else for $100?  Also, Epic cable comes bundled with W-series and UM Pro series, though UM Pro has a flexible memory wire version which I really like.  Which Westone IEM do you have? 

I don't have any pure silver cables yet and really curious to hear how much improvement you get with those.  So far Linum silver plated litz cable adds more excitement to the sound, but it doesn't brighten it too much, something I'm trying to figure out how to achieve with Pro 50 without eq.  We are talking about better retrieval of details, more dynamic sound, bass with more "bite" - but these improvements will be more noticeable with a higher quality source (not just audio, but the actual hardware).

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #1,153 of 3,037

I thought that silver dragon v1 cable was close to $200?  Do you have it or waiting to receive it?  Or did you buy it from someone else for $100?  Also, Epic cable comes bundled with W-series and UM Pro series, though UM Pro has a flexible memory wire version which I really like.  Which Westone IEM do you have? 

I don't have any pure silver cables yet and really curious to hear how much improvement you get with those.  So far Linum silver plated litz cable adds more excitement to the sound, but it doesn't brighten it too much, something I'm trying to figure out how to achieve with Pro 50 without eq.  We are talking about better retrieval of details, more dynamic sound, bass with more "bite" - but these improvements will be more noticeable with a higher quality source (not just audio, but the actual hardware).

It's sold for $185usd new. I bought it off someone for $100aud shipped. The seller is in the states so will probably take at least a 1 week for it to get to me. I shall post my impressions of the cable with my um3x very soon.  

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #1,154 of 3,037

http://www.amazon.com/Westone-EPIC-Inch-Replacement-Cable/dp/B00IG5SPXA/

These go for 53 bucks a pop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back