Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Aug 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #32 of 3,037
I'll wait for the release and then I'm sure we'll learn what changes have been made.  I hope it's not just the cable because if anything that's a step backwards.  Thick Shure style cables aren't all that ergonomic.

Aug 31, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #35 of 3,037
UM Pro 10 is out. Available at Westone only at this point.
http://www.westone.com/store/index.php/westone-music-products/universal-monitors/um-pro-10-red.html

Spec-wise the PRO 10 are 20-16,000 on the F.R. where the UM1 was 40-16,000. I guess we might see some graphs, possibly some A/B to see how much better the extension is over the old model as well other differences in presentation.

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #36 of 3,037
Pre-orders have begun for the UM 10 Pro at some places, and I think I heard that general availability will start after September 10th. Also if you look at the "6 second unboxing" vine from @WestoneAudio's twitter page, you can see that the cable is definitely a newer design with a brand-themed L-plug (the trademarked W) along with the MMCX connector and the new memory form replacing the clear memory wire. However the rest of the cable is still the braided EPIC-style cable that we've come to expect from Westone, so it isn't all bad news if you don't like the mmcx connector and its inherently ability to swivel. :wink:

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #37 of 3,037
If somone who has the first generation can compare it to the new version we'd know if they did anything to alter the sound.   Judging from the posted specs on the UM1 and UM10 (at Westone's site) they look very much the same.

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #38 of 3,037
My 10 pros should be here in a couple days.. I guess Friday. Westone has been slow shipping my order. To be honest I'm not expecting they will be very good. Also, I never heard the UM1 so I can't compare to that.

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #39 of 3,037
  My 10 pros should be here in a couple days.. I guess Friday. Westone has been show shipping my order. To be honest I'm not expecting they will be very good. Also, I never heard the UM1 so I can't compare to that.

The UM1 model is what the new Pro is replacing.

If they are essentially the same (minus a cable change) then the original can be found for half the asking price of the 10 on Amazon (mind you at that point a RE-400 becomes a much more appealing choice).

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #40 of 3,037
The Plug and Y look good...

Kudos to Zalithian! Ordering even in the face of low expectations! The true spirit of Head-fi! I look forward to see how it turns out.

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #41 of 3,037
  The UM1 model is what the new Pro is replacing.

If they are essentially the same (minus a cable change) then the original can be found for half the asking price of the 10 on Amazon (mind you at that point a RE-400 becomes a much more appealing choice).

Yeah, but the Pro price point is a bit higher. I really hope Westone didn't simply change the cable, raise the price, and call it a new IEM.  They did say it has been re-tuned, but as I said I never had the UM1 to compare it to. If someone wants to send me those, feel free! :p. I'll have a couple decent IEMS to compare the Pro 10 to (BA200 and ER-4P) so we'll see how it goes. If I feel it's a rip off then I'll simply return it and lose a little more faith in Westone. That wouldn't be surprising given the ADV and how poor their customer service was for me today.

Anyway, I like Westone so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now :)

lol @ jant, if we didn't keep trying new IEMS we'd never run out of money to spend! Then it just wouldn't be head-fi.

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #42 of 3,037
  Spec-wise the PRO 10 are 20-16,000 on the F.R. where the UM1 was 40-16,000. I guess we might see some graphs, possibly some A/B to see how much better the extension is over the old model as well other differences in presentation.

Well, spec-wise PRO 10 are very similar to Westone 1, and those are no better than UM1 in any regard, same boring, flat sound with rolled-off highs and lows.
I will be glad to be proved wrong, but it looks like the only differences with old models are new cable connector and a minor face lift.

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #43 of 3,037
Well, spec-wise PRO 10 are very similar to Westone 1, and those are no better than UM1 in any regard, same boring, flat sound with rolled-off highs and lows.
I will be glad to be proved wrong, but it looks like the only differences with old models are new cable connector and a minor face lift.

But from the specs wise, it does shows that it extends slightly lower. Could be a slight boost in the sub bass region.

Looking forward to the PRO 30!

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #44 of 3,037
Won't it be nice to have these compared to the Sony HF-1/2/3 IEM XD I mean just purely today, I have read/saw so many new headphones released! First was the Philips L2, then the Sony MDR-10R followed by the HF-1/2/3 and now the Westone! Then past few days was some new amp/DAC released (which is shown on the home page of Head-Fi) WOW! We better get our wallet ready for this Christmas /December! XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back