Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Dec 21, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #2,926 of 3,037
So I’m trying to decide between the V1 UM pro 50 and the AM pro 30. Both are around the same price at Sweetwater(the V1 um pro 50 is $230 off). I play electric guitar in a band, so that’s why I’m looking at these lines. I currently just got some Audiosense t800’s, but they are sooo bright and don’t have much body to the sound, even after trying different tips.

Has anyone had experience with both the AM and UM’s, and how do they compare sound wise? Not sure if I need the extra isolation the UM has over the ambient stuff the AM has or not.

I should add that my guitar sounds amazing through my open back Audio technica AD900x headphones at home, so maybe the AM pro’s might be better for me since they’re kinda like open backs more.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #2,927 of 3,037
So I’m trying to decide between the V1 UM pro 50 and the AM pro 30. Both are around the same price at Sweetwater(the V1 um pro 50 is $230 off). I play electric guitar in a band, so that’s why I’m looking at these lines. I currently just got some Audiosense t800’s, but they are sooo bright and don’t have much body to the sound, even after trying different tips.

Has anyone had experience with both the AM and UM’s, and how do they compare sound wise? Not sure if I need the extra isolation the UM has over the ambient stuff the AM has or not.

I should add that my guitar sounds amazing through my open back Audio technica AD900x headphones at home, so maybe the AM pro’s might be better for me since they’re kinda like open backs more.

While I'm not familiar with Audiosense iems, I can guarantee that either UMPro50-1 or AMPro30 will have plenty of body and are not too bright. I just went back to listen and to compare these, and there are quite a few differences.

westone_umpro50_vs_ampro30.jpg

You are correct in your assumption that AM Pro will sound more open, with a wider soundstage, and UM Pro 50 will have a narrower soundstage. While UMPro was designed for musicians, AMPro is specific to stage performers so you don't have a total isolation and can hear other instruments on the stage. Both have a very similar quantity and quality of mids, but bass and treble vary and it's quite noticeable. UMPro50 has a lot more bass slam with a deeper sub-bass, and the bass even spills a bit into lower mids, adding more body to it. I wouldn't say that AMPro30 has a neutral bass, but it's a lot more attenuated in comparison to UMPro50, which actually makes AMPro30 bass more articulate and with a better control, specifically when transitioning into mids. As a result of more attenuated bass, the mids/vocals of AMPro30 are more forward in their presentation. With treble, UMPro50 is a little more attenuated, while AMPro30 has more sparkle and crunch. Neither one is bright, but AMPro30 treble has a better definition and more airiness.

I think for electric guitar and based on your preferences, AMPro30 will suite you better.

Dec 21, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #2,928 of 3,037
While I'm not familiar with Audiosense iems, I can guarantee that either UMPro50-1 or AMPro30 will have plenty of body and are not too bright. I just went back to listen and to compare these, and there are quite a few differences.

You are correct in your assumption that AM Pro will sound more open, with a wider soundstage, and UM Pro 50 will have a narrower soundstage. While UMPro was designed for musicians, AMPro is specific to stage performers so you don't have a total isolation and can hear other instruments on the stage. Both have a very similar quantity and quality of mids, but bass and treble vary and it's quite noticeable. UMPro50 has a lot more bass slam with a deeper sub-bass, and the bass even spills a bit into lower mids, adding more body to it. I wouldn't say that AMPro30 has a neutral bass, but it's a lot more attenuated in comparison to UMPro50, which actually makes AMPro30 bass more articulate and with a better control, specifically when transitioning into mids. As a result of more attenuated bass, the mids/vocals of AMPro30 are more forward in their presentation. With treble, UMPro50 is a little more attenuated, while AMPro30 has more sparkle and crunch. Neither one is bright, but AMPro30 treble has a better definition and more airiness.

I think for electric guitar and based on your preferences, AMPro30 will suite you better.
Ok, thanks for the comparison! I just ordered the AM pro’s. Hopefully I’ll like them better than what I’m using now.

Feb 23, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #2,929 of 3,037
Hi there.
Do you know of suitable cables with volume controls for Android smartphones for connecting the Pro 50?
I have read that these connections do not meet the mmcx standard.
greets jenz

Feb 23, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #2,930 of 3,037
Hi there.
Do you know of suitable cables with volume controls for Android smartphones for connecting the Pro 50?
I have read that these connections do not meet the mmcx standard.
greets jenz

Actually, it's only an issue when connecting Westone Epic cable to other mmcx IEMs since their [Westone] mmcx connector sleeve extends a little bit out. You can use ANY standard mmcx connector cable with Westone IEMs. As a matter of fact, Ref8 cable included with W80 uses a standard mmcx connector that works with any iem (the housing of the connector has universal trimming). So, any standard universal cable with mmcx connectors and in-line remote (mic, play/pause, and volume for android) should work with Westone IEMs.

Westone has their own branded cable with in-line remote for Android, but it only comes with play/pause button, no volume. So, you might have to do some digging around. There used to be a lot more cables like that, but now majority are switching to Bluetooth cables with playback/volume controls. If you find wired one with mmcx and play/pause/volume, please share it here. I'm sure it will benefit others. Another suggestion, you can contact manufactures, like @PLUSSOUND and ask for a custom wired cable for Android.

Feb 24, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #2,931 of 3,037
Thanks for the answer.
Then I can use my MMCX cables. I got another one from her.
The Pro 50 is on the way to me. Should be an upgrade to the A&K Billie Jean.
Greets Jenz

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #2,932 of 3,037
(Deleted)

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #2,933 of 3,037
I hate to need to say this here on the actual thread, but if anyone is interested in trading a set of UM 50 Pro V1 or V2 (either is totally fine) for a brand new Burson Playmate DAC / Amplifier w / full warranty and upgraded op-amps (4 x LME49860) please just let me know. Thanks, and please forgive me if I shouldn't have posted this here!!!

Apr 5, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #2,936 of 3,037
Are AM PRO vented like ambient port on CIEM ? Or just with a filter without hole ?
Because i have a new UM PRO 10, love it but the AM PRO version could open the soundstage.

Yeah, AM Pro will open soundstage since it has less isolation and will let ambient noise in, giving you more open sound, but don't expect the sound signature to be identical with just an improved soundstage (bass will be affected as well). AM Pro uses Westone's own SLED filter, it's different from adel/apex filters, if that's what you referring to?

And is it possible to reshell an AM PRO 10 ? Due to special filter that it has...

No, you can't reshell them, assuming into CIEM? I mean, you can try to reshell it but I don't see now they will be able to get the functionality of SLED filter right.

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #2,937 of 3,037
Are AM PRO vented like ambient port on CIEM ? Or just with a filter without hole ?
Because i have a new UM PRO 10, love it but the AM PRO version could open the soundstage.
The normal ambient port on the average CIEM is just a hole with different dampers. The SLED on Westone is more complex than that. I think they tried to implement something like the ER-15 passive hearing protection. It is closer to Apex than the normal ambiance port.

Apr 6, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #2,939 of 3,037

Users who are viewing this thread

Back