Westone Signature W-series W50 & W60
Feb 15, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #486 of 606
It's not just about enough power to drive the iem loud enough for you. My W60 sound okay straight from my Note 2. But not even close to running digital usb out and letting an RSA Predator do the conversion and amping. Now that's hi-def hi-fi!

I find that hard to believe since my M8 push out so much volume.. its unbearable at 75%

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #487 of 606
It's not just about enough power to drive the iem loud enough for you. My W60 sound okay straight from my Note 2. But not even close to running digital usb out and letting an RSA Predator do the conversion and amping. Now that's hi-def hi-fi!

I find that hard to believe since my M8 push out so much volume.. its unbearable at 75%

Java's got a point when it comes to quality - the headphone out on my Galaxy S5 is ok - but when I listen to the w60 through the macbook pro it's a whole different experience, much better quality source. I'm actually struggling now to think of any way to make the sound better from a GS5 - doubtful but here's hoping a galaxy s6 will use a different dac (wolfson is better than the snapdragon built one i think? But rumor is they've dropped snapdragon in the s6.)

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #488 of 606

Java's got a point when it comes to quality - the headphone out on my Galaxy S5 is ok - but when I listen to the w60 through the macbook pro it's a whole different experience, much better quality source. I'm actually struggling now to think of any way to make the sound better from a GS5 - doubtful but here's hoping a galaxy s6 will use a different dac (wolfson is better than the snapdragon built one i think? But rumor is they've dropped snapdragon in the s6.)

then thats a DAC issue not an amplifying issue. I had the same problem with the M8. The difference between the M8 and My JDS Lab C5D is noticeable.

I'm looking for options in term of DAC, I may go with the audioengine D3 for portable use, not sure if it will work with android phone and OTG cable.

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #489 of 606
W60 does not "need" an amp but certainly will squeeze out the last 10% of great quality of sound.  I am thrilled that the Pro50 does not gain anything by using an amp.  Just makes things so much more simple. It's a nice added bonus knowing you don't need one.

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #490 of 606

Using an extreme example here, I can drive my 250ohm dt990 with my iPad Mini at around 75% but it sounds like crap.

Sure it sounds loud enough, but it's not as coherent as when it is driven properly.

Then again I don't have a w60, so that might not be true in that context.

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #491 of 606
borrow my friend W60 again and listening VooDoo child (slight return) jimmy hendrix......let me just put it this way, I dont like rock but this make it sound sooo good!

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #492 of 606
Have anyone tried the SE846 & the W60? I really love the fit of the Westone IEs but do they sound as good as the Shure? 

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #493 of 606
  Have anyone tried the SE846 & the W60? I really love the fit of the Westone IEs but do they sound as good as the Shure? 

I had them both at the same time.  I MUCH preferred the W60.  More wide open sound, better extended treble, midrange not quite as forward but still amazing lush vocals.  I think bass is about same so not really hearing any one area where SE846 kills W60.  Just not sure where anyone would consider SE846 better in any area.

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #495 of 606

M coupe had both too, and he prefer W60. fitment must suck on SE846 if you even consider changing.

The cables alone are a deal breaker for me.

My buddy hates his shures, without me telling him about observations from here, the first thing he told me is that after one hour max his ears hear physically and feel strained from in your face mid range.

He tried my w60s and was really impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back