Westone Signature W-series W50 & W60
Oct 17, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #556 of 606

Sorry, I don't have iPhone and in general don't use EQ with my smartphone, so not sure which app to recommend.  Typically DAPs with eq have 125Hz band available. We are not talking about EQ preset, but rather where you can customize it and tweak the bands, so just adjust the slider at 125Hz 3 units down.

I got it now. I am looking at the Fiio X3 2nd gen Music player. If I buy this, would it improve the quality of my MP3 songs? (I know it won't change drastically, but is it even worth buying a Hi res player to pair up with my W50 and listen to MP3?).

Also, i assume that I can do dB adjustment if I have the Fiio X3? Thanks for your time

Don't buy DAP just for EQ :)  Figure out which app you can use with your iPhone to adjust eq bands first.  Btw, X3ii is ok but a bit on a warm side, not a good pair up with W50 which is warm to begin with.

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #557 of 606
Don't buy DAP just for EQ :)  Figure out which app you can use with your iPhone to adjust eq bands first.  Btw, X3ii is ok but a bit on a warm side, not a good pair up with W50 which is warm to begin with.

Ooh ok, I don't want extra bass from X3. :). Could you please suggest me a decent Hi res player, given that I have a W50 and listen to MP3? Budget is around 200.

Also pls suggest me a DAC/AMP. One more question, do I go for a hi res player that has a good DAC/AMP built in already or a separate DAC/AMP? I read that an external DAC can help desktop listening, but not useful for portables like iPod because the portables use their own DAC and cannot be bypassed?! Thank you.

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #558 of 606

Don't buy DAP just for EQ
smily_headphones1.gif
  Figure out which app you can use with your iPhone to adjust eq bands first.  Btw, X3ii is ok but a bit on a warm side, not a good pair up with W50 which is warm to begin with.

Ooh ok, I don't want extra bass from X3. :). Could you please suggest me a decent Hi res player, given that I have a W50 and listen to MP3? Budget is around 200.

Also pls suggest me a DAC/AMP. One more question, do I go for a hi res player that has a good DAC/AMP built in already or a separate DAC/AMP? I read that an external DAC can help desktop listening, but not useful for portables like iPod because the portables use their own DAC and cannot be bypassed?! Thank you.

Not sure about $200 range.  I'm waiting to receive a new DAP from xDuoo (X3, $110), maybe it will pair up ok.  FiiO is planning to release soon M3 ($55) - not sure how that one will work out in terms of sound sig.  You need to raise your budget to $350 where you have a choice of FiiO X5ii and Cayin N5.  Or maybe get X3ii and amp like E12A or maybe even a cheaper one Q1.  Currently N5 is the best bang for the buck in terms of  build and sound quality for all in one DAP, it goes for $350.  Get some popcorn, and head over to my review index: http://www.head-fi.org/t/755971/twister6-audio-review-index-the-past-the-present-and-the-future - I typically compare DAPs in my reviews.

The problem, we all have a different sound perception, and what works for me might not be suitable for you.  So take everything with a grain of salt and make sure you buy from places where you can return back.  And if the deal is too good to be true, you are most likely buying not from an authorized dealer and warranty will not be honored by manufacturer.

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #559 of 606

Not sure about $200 range.  I'm waiting to receive a new DAP from xDuoo (X3, $110), maybe it will pair up ok.  FiiO is planning to release soon M3 ($55) - not sure how that one will work out in terms of sound sig.  You need to raise your budget to $350 where you have a choice of FiiO X5ii and Cayin N5.  Or maybe get X3ii and amp like E12A or maybe even a cheaper one Q1.  Currently N5 is the best bang for the buck in terms of  build and sound quality for all in one DAP, it goes for $350.  Get some popcorn, and head over to my review index: http://www.head-fi.org/t/755971/twister6-audio-review-index-the-past-the-present-and-the-future - I typically compare DAPs in my reviews.

The problem, we all have a different sound perception, and what works for me might not be suitable for you.  So take everything with a grain of salt and make sure you buy from places where you can return back.  And if the deal is too good to be true, you are most likely buying not from an authorized dealer and warranty will not be honored by manufacturer.

Ok, let me look into FIIO X5, Thanks

Oct 17, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #560 of 606

Hi, how about buying a Onkyo DAC-HA200 to pair up with iPod/iPhone and W50?

Oct 19, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #562 of 606
Hi, you don't need an amp with W50.
It's better to buy a DAP but it's not necessary.
If you can, try different DAPs.
Are you happy with W50 or are they to boomy ?

Hi, i just received the headphone today and listed to a couple songs from my iPhone. The Bass is not that boomy, but noticeably thumpier than my W30. As far as the overall quality of the music I hear, there is little to no difference comparing my W30. I think the reason is the Source and the Bit rate of the songs. I need some hifi song and a good source to test this out.

Oct 19, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #563 of 606
I tried my favorite songs with W50 and quite like it. The fit is great, very comfortable. Just tried with the silicone tip and the iPhone cable that it came with. Didn't try the comply tips or the braided cable yet. 

These are the songs i have heard so far. Great listening to them...
Comfortably numb, Limp Bizkit - MI song, America - Sister Golden Hair, Boulevard of Broken dreams, Enter the Sandman, Nirvana - Come as you are, Summer of 69, Oasis - Wonderwall, Another one bites the dust, U2 - One, Sweet emotion - Aerosmith, Pumped Up Kicks, Clocks - Cold Play, Collective soul - Shine, Red hot chilli peppers - Californiacation and Dani California.

Loved Dani California with the beats :)

For my needs, i think its already promising. Will report after a while..

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #564 of 606
Hi, i just received the headphone today and listed to a couple songs from my iPhone. The Bass is not that boomy, but noticeably thumpier than my W30. As far as the overall quality of the music I hear, there is little to no difference comparing my W30. I think the reason is the Source and the Bit rate of the songs. I need some hifi song and a good source to test this out.

I have the Westone 4R so I don't know how are the W30. I like them very much but it's lacking bass and fun for me.
Yes I think change the source is better than buy an amp. I bought a Sony ZX1 and I'm happy with it. There is a new iBasso DX80 which looks great too.

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #565 of 606
Ok. I ran into an unexpected flaw in the IEM. The right side cable keeps falling off even with a slightest pull during regular use. The left side cable is intact and requires good effort to pull it out of the earphone. I think I got a defective item. The package was unopened and everything looked perfect. It's not the retailers fault.

I already told them that this is defective and needs to be fixed. I am returning it for full refund. Thanks goodness it's under warranty and also 30 day return period.

Now I am thinking if I should still exchange for another W50 or buy AKG 3003i or something else.

Anyways thanks everyone for your help , especially user tiitieu.

I think IEMs are a bit flimsy because I once replaced my UE triple fi 10 after 1 year when one of the earbud broke, yeah split in half. But UE warranty was top notch. It may be just me who got these problems with IEMs twice. I am glad both times I bought them from authorized dealers. It's just my bad luck (breaking) and then good luck (warranty) :)

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #567 of 606
Oh you're unlucky. I have no problem with my 4R for 3 years.
I'm waiting the black Friday to take IEM.
You aren't satisfied with W50 ?

Yah I know. I just got unlucky.

I really like W50. I was listening to my MP3 songs in my classic iPod. That was way better than iPhone. Again the bass is clean, not boomy. When I listened to "We will rock you" that was really hard bass in W50. But for most songs, it was very very good.

There is a high chance I will exchange it for another W50. But I wonder why Westone screwed up the quality check with the cable connection. I just listened to a couple songs the other day and I removed the headphones from my ear and put it on the table. I stepped right on to something and realized it's the right earbud fallen off of the mmcx connector. I was like "what the heck?" When I opened the package initially, the right ear bud was already disconnected from the cable inside the package. I thought may be it came that way from factory by mistake or the shipping.

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #568 of 606

I am eyeing on a OPPO HA-2 or Sony PHA1A to use with my iPod. Do you think its a good buy as it will perform as a DAC for my iPod/iPhone and my PC as well? thanks

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #569 of 606

Basically what i am looking for is to use my current iPod 5th gen paired with an IEM (most likely W50). I understand that most IEMs have low impedence and hence i wont need an amp to drive my iPod/iPhone. But, because the DAC on the new generation i Devices is terrible, an external DAC will improve the sound quality. Also, i dont want to buy Fiio E series, because you need a camera conversion kit or something to be able to bypass the audio signal from iPod. 

I am looking for an Apple MFI certified portable DAC so that you just need to connect the i Device and the DAC using the lighting connector (eg: Oppo HA-2, Sony PHA1A etc, but i understand that these can double up as an amp as well incase if i need to drive high impedence headphones like Senn HD600).

Rant on Apple: :)
Darn Apple needs licensing money from every manufacturer out there for their equipments to work with the i Devices. With the kind of market share Apple has, they are milking every single company!!! Too bad, the iOS eco system is so huge that a lot of audio equipment manufacturers (and any company that needs their darn lightning port) need to pay Apple big time!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #570 of 606

Oh man, i was listening to Guns N Roses - November Rain using iPod classic and W50 (direct connection, no dac amp). Holy smokes, the bass was excellent. Its not boomy at all, but has the punch and great roll-off. Awesome.

Before I return the W50 tomorrow, i just wanted to reconfirm if I can exchange this for a new W50 because this sounds sooo good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back