Westone Guarantee worthless?
Jun 12, 2009 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jolly Bodger

Head-Fier
I was considering buying some used Westone IEMs. Only a couple of months old complete with the original receipt so still under warranty. Well apparently not, I e-mailed Westone just out of curiosity really and this is their response:

Thank you for the e-mail. I am sorry to say that the warranty is only available to the individual whos name is on the invoice as the warranty in non-transferable. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.

Kyle Harris

So anyone buying second hand better beware.

JB

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 5
How does this make the warranty worthless? It is not uncommon for warranties to apply only to the original purchaser.

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 5
this is how much of the real world works ;(

I bought a used car from a guy, years ago, and he had some paint work done to a rear spoiler. there were air bubbles in the paint (that I guess he never cared about) and when I went back to the painter he said the warranty only applied to the original owner!

on and on you'll hear this. warranties are a 'gamble' and not a right that we have; and any way a company can min their financial duty, they will! not surprising.

transferring warrs is more the exception than the rule!

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 5
Just had this response from Westone - literally minutes after I posted this.

Thank you for your response. It is not standard practice for us to transfer the warranty, however, I am willing to make an exception in this case. Please visit this web page Westone Online Registration to register the product for two years warranty coverage. Thank you and have a great day.

Kyle Harris

All I can say is WELL DONE Westone - they obviously stand by their products.

Brian

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 5
I really dislike companies that does this. Fortunately most CS only seems to care whether the product still lies within the warranty period rather than who is the current owner. A receipt is usually more than enough, and I don't remember many stores actually printing the buyer's name on it anyway. If they give you hell for it, claim that it is a gift.

As far as headphones goes, Sennheiser's warranty is transferable, but not Shure, Audeo and Ultimate Ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back