Westone ES60 unboxing and first impressions
Aug 27, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #46 of 158
  No, I didn't say it was easy to hear north of 22 kHz, but an anti aliasing filter causes ringing artifacts that will occur not only above, but also in the audible band, i.e. far south of 20 kHz. Steeper the cut-off slope of the filter, more severe these artifacts. It is possible to reduce these artifacts, or make them less noticeable in pure terms of human audibility by building a better filter. However, to also make them, in every listening scenario that makes sense, perfectly inaudible, a higher than 44.1 kHz sampling frequency is required. Due to a combination of both modern tech and practical limitations, nowadays 192 kHz sampling frequency can be a very reasonable choice for playback of PCM files. Nevertheless, there are a lot of ADCs and DACs out there that are advertised as 192 kHz, but sound worse operating at 192 kHz than some of the ones that don't support 192 kHz operating at 96 kHz. Further, a bit depth over 16 is not always pointless for music playback because a live symphony orchestra can create peaks of 120 dB SPL at listening position so, attempting to accurately reproduce this, the noise floor of 16-bit PCM can become audible.

I don't listen to much classical music, although I quite like much of it, but if there is any benefit to be had from more bit depth, classical music is certainly the context in which that benefit is most likely to be realized. In the end the benefits of "HD,"(if any) recordings are mooted for me by the fact that very little of the music I listen to is even available in an HD format. Even aside from the question of the audibility of the difference, the population of people willing to spend the kind of folding necessary to buy the equipment (even with the most golden of ears) required is so small that I don't see the selection of HD music broadening much anytime soon. I'm sure, however, that the purveyors of HD music will not warn people with an Iphone and buds that they are wasting their money. "Are you crazy? I'm not spending that much money on earphones. That's how much my phone cost!"

Aug 28, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #47 of 158
Drifting off-topic guys...

Sep 4, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #49 of 158
Number of words regarding Westone  -  4,000

Number of words regarding file resolution  -  400,000   

Sep 4, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #50 of 158
Number of words regarding Westone

Words aren't needed to figure out the ES60 is simply the best.
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #51 of 158
  Drifting off-topic guys...

Number of words regarding Westone  -  4,000

Number of words regarding file resolution  -  400,000   

Yeah, sorry for the hijack. My bad. Should've just taken a deep breath and laughed instead of allowing myself to be lured down the rabbit hole.

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #52 of 158

Yeah, sorry for the hijack. My bad. Should've just taken a deep breath and laughed instead of allowing myself to be lured down the rabbit hole.

Hey, many of us have been sucked down that hole at one time or another. 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 10, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #53 of 158
Not sure if people are still down to talk about the ES60... I'm trying to decide between ES60 and JH Roxanne, also coming from the UM3x like OP. Mostly listen to Jazz, EDM / electronic, pop, and when I'm out and about (commute / office). Which are better suited, or should I be looking for a different pair?

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #54 of 158
My enjoyment of the ES60 grows greater with each passing day. I wish we could get more comparisons with other high end models like the JH Roxanne but these are high dollar items and not cheap to get the best customs and likely also hard to get free or discounted "review" units. Knowing what I know now, I would pay full price to replace them if something happened, they are that good. Everything sounds fresh and new with them, even things I've been listening to for 30 years. If you like your UM3x, the ES60 is a safe choice for an upgrade, but once you hear them you won't be satisfied with anything less.

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #55 of 158
I'm debating between the ES60 and W60s. I wrote to Westone's customer service, and here is the response I got:

"First off, let me by saying that the W series is a line of monitors design for serious personal listening. By comparison the W60 has a more articulate and accurate bass response. The ES60 will work for your needs, but are more of an investment as they are fully custom units. The sound on the ES60 will also be more rounded and less neutral in comparison to the ultra flat, W60 series. The drivers in the ES60 are different than the drivers of the W60, resulting in the W60 being more flat, neutral, and balanced. It is hard to put a number on the differences between custom and universal fit earpieces. Custom fit provide a more comfortable fit and better seal, as well as have a better sound since the earpiece sits further in the ear canal, allowing for a smoother sound and better outside noise reduction. We do offer a 90 day fit warranty, so if the monitors are not perfect fitting at first, we can make adjustments to have them fit correctly."

I had the SE535s for nearly four years, and got thousands of hours of use with them. They were great. Now I have fancier sources and ALL of my music is lossless. I had planned to pickup the SE846s, but I'm concerned that for about double the price, I'm not going to get much more in sound quality, apart from the added and improved bass, which isn't as important for me as it is for others. After reading some impressions of the W60s, they seemed to be the way to go. Customs could be fantastic, but I hope I'm not missing out on too much; does a great deal of the cost go into the labour of building the custom earpiece? Also, Westone's site claims a 25 dB of attenuation with the ES60s... I'm hoping this would be sufficient. The SE535s, with the medium viscoelastic tips, blocked a tremendous amount of noise from my ears - around 35 I would imagine. Working outside at the airport, my 3M cans are supposed to cut out 30 dB, and the Shures seemed to block more for me, so that's sort of a benchmark for me.

I can't imagine anyone will chime in with a ES60 versus W60 first-hand comparison, but any further impressions of the ES60 would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #57 of 158
I just stumbled on to the ES60'S and they have piqued my interest. They are definitely on my list of possibilities. Love to hear more impressions or comparisons to some other TOTL IEMS or CIEMS.

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #58 of 158
I don't think Westone is doing anyone any favors by saying the W60 is ultra flat, etc. What if a customer wants an ultra flat custom? I can imagine the ES60 with a bit better articulation on the bass, but what exactly does "rounded" mean? They describe the ES60 as "The Westone ES60 is the ultimate custom in-ear monitor... ...that yields unrivaled sonic purity." Is it pure or not?

After living with the ES60 for a while, one thing has become obvious, and that is that regardless of the difference in sonic profile, the customs simply sound "closer" to everything, and I don't mean louder, I mean things sound physically closer. You can't get that with universals as far as I know. I'd love to hear the W60 to see what they're talking about. Since the ES series is aimed at musicians I can only assume they are tuned to get an emotional response out of musicians. That is certainly the effect they have on me: emotionally involving. And that is the reason that I love them so much.

Oct 9, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #60 of 158
  Replace the Fiio X5 with an Astell&Kern AK240, and replace the 16/44.1 files with some well recorded, well mastered, non-fake 24/192 ones. Then we will be able to talk. 
biggrin.gif

If the master is same it is not possible for anyone to distinguish 24 bit from 16 bit audio, HDtracks and similar "hi res" sellers have their collection remastered so it sounds better regardless of bits and sampling rate. If you convert some song 24 bit to 16 bit it will sound the same no matter the gear.

I can't hear a difference between 16/44 and higher bitrates and I doubt I could hear a difference between the X5 and the AK240 and I won't pretend otherwise.

Don't worry, no one can :) And if someone claims he can just ask them to do it on blind test in front of you, results will be funny
About players, difference is present but it's subtle, not like you got new earphones or something, they exaggerate "a bit".

Quote:
Price paid: Under $1200 with tax. Shop around!

Could you tell where did you get them from? (that was my first intention to ask, but then I saw 24 bit people with magical ears) It starts at 1500$ on Westone site... and you mentioned less than 1200 which is not small difference... 
Nice review btw! I'm thinking of getting into customs world too but so many options... and so low amount of money :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back