Westone ES5 vs. Audeze LCD-2
Aug 21, 2011 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sarthak117

Head-Fier
As far as under $1000 goes, I'm pretty sure these are as good as it gets. Now which one actually sounds better? I know a full-size open headphone should have a larger soundstage and different feel, but looking past that, which one performs better? Which one is more versatile? What are their specialties and weaknesses?

Looking for responses from people that own both, have owned both, or have at least auditioned both.

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 8
The both offers rich, detailed mids, one(LCD-2) has warm wood soundsignature and it's close to Grado(not for all genres music). The other (Westone ES5) sound amazing (great for all genres music) without heavy amplification help and it's portable, but also comparable to LCD-2 in term of sound quality.

Aug 21, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 8
That's the general consensus I seem to be finding while trawling through the forums. It also seems as if the LCD-2 has more bass impact and is generally more visceral. I understand they're comparable, and match my music almost perfectly, but which one is actually superior?

Aug 22, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 8
The LCD-2 shows great details in mids with deep reverbing bass but highs are not extended as on ES5. The ES5 has amazing midrange details with deep punchy bass. To me ES5 is supperior because it has extended, crisp highs which are balanced out the whole presentation than LCD-2. BTW the bass on ES5 is deep, reverbing and punchy(comparable to LCD-2 bass) and mids are hallmark of ES5 with superb imaging, instrument separation, instrument placement,

Aug 22, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #5 of 8
obviously you have to get whichever is more to what you have/need.

since they both have great sound signatures that are apparently similar, i have not heard the lcd2s.

that being said, if you listen mostly when youre at home, and can afford to use open backed headphones, and can stand the weight of the lcd2, then get it.

if you want the versatility of the iems, however will lose the air of a headphone i assume, get the es5

i have the es5 btw

Aug 22, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #6 of 8
Well, I haven't heard either, but I would like to make an educated guess based on my extensive experience with many multi driver IEMs, including the custom ES3X as well as several Orthodynamic and high end dynamic headphones. My guess is that LCD-2 will sound much better than ES5 at least to my ears. There are people who swear by their multi driver BA customs, but I personally haven't heard a single multi driver BA that can deliver a coherent, musical sound in the league of a high quality dynamic or Orthodynamic headphone.

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #7 of 8
Hey there!

I happen to own both of these wonderful products.

I would say that they both incredibly well. But it really is down to you. Do you want portability or a wide soundstage?
The thing is, the LCD2 cant really be used out on the street, whilst the ES5s can be used at home as well as when you're out and about.

In terms of sound I would say that they have some differences, the soundstage of the LCD2s are much larger but this is to be expected with headphones. The bass of the ES5 is more powerful and dynamic but the LCD2's bass is more enveloping. 
The mids of the ES5 are much smoother and brighter than the Dark LCD2. If you're a huge fan of vocal Music I think the ES5s will be better off for you.
For the highs and details of these two products I think that the LCD2 has the upper hand on this.

Anyways in short I would say that if you want dynamic and punchy bass, with bright and smooth mids go for the ES5!
If you want deep enveloping bass and a wide soundstage go for the LCD2!

But on a side note, the ES5s sound great just out of my iPods Headphone out. Whilst the LCD2 requires good amping for it to truly shine.

Anyway the choice is yours, You definitly wont have regrets if you buy either product :)

Happy headphone/IEM hunting, Hope you have a great time with either one :)

Cheers,

Arrigo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back