Westone ES5 Review (and brief comparisons to other custom IEMs)
Dec 6, 2011 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
This review focuses primarily on the Westone ES5, but I do some mild comparisons to the JH13 and JH16 as well.  I will be comparing and ranking all my headphones and earphones in the upcoming months.  There will be more detail and comparisons in the future. 

While I used all the amps, mentioned in my profile, for testing, my primary source in reviewing and comparing was the iPod Classic 5G and the Sony NWZ-S545.  I did not use any portable amps.  All files used to test were lossless.  I do not own the JH3A JH Audio System: both JH Audio models were compared in passive crossover mode.

Westone’s three top universal in ear monitor (Westone 3, UM3X and Westone 4) models are the best I’ve ever heard in their category.  It is for this reason primarily that I was very intrigued to give the ES5, Westone’s 5 driver custom-molded flagship, a whirl.  I am extremely glad I have done so because it has proven to be my favorite custom in-ear in some very significant ways.  Despite both JH Audio and Ultimate Ears having custom fitted monitors which boast more drivers in each ear, the Westone is surely worthy of being a contender for “best in ear.”  I do wish to say right away that while I own both the JH13 and JH16, I do not own, nor have I heard the UE18, but I do have the classic UE10 pro back with Jerry Harvey was still with the company.  I also own Sensaphonics’ 2XS (a dual driver custom-molded monitor) which I always considered one of my most regretful purchases as I found the tone to be extremely shrill.

Accessories
The ES5 comes with a hard plastic carrying case which opens into compartmentalized storage space.  When properly stored, the Westone cleaning rag rests on top of the contents.  The earphones sit on their faceplate in the center, while the cable wraps around a slightly raised cylinder.  Inside this cylinder is a perfectly fitting moisture absorber (I was very impressed with this).  To the left, your earwax cleaning tool rests.  Finally furthest left sits very own brand of lubricant for easy installation into the ear canal.  I was very impressed with this accessory, but found that I did not need to use it, though others may find it very helpful.

*Like other Westone custom in-ears, the ES5 also ships with disc which explains how to properly use and care for your earphones.

Design
I think it goes without saying that the cable in this instance would be detachable.  I prefer the more tangle resistant cable design of the Westone over the JH Audio cable design, which although is also very nice, I have had some consistent tangling issues with.

The most impressive aspect of the ES5’s design is how it’s hard & protective acrylic shell morphs into a soft canal tip.  When I inquired with Westone’s own director, Jeff Kwiatkowski about what type of material is used to achieve this affect he said this:

We like to say that the ES Series has a hard acrylic shell with a flex canal that is comprised of a body heat material that softens as it warms to body tempurature.

It is amazing and true that as you wear the ES5 for a few minutes, you begin to sense the canal tips filling the ear more and more.  The amount of isolation achieved is beyond any other in ear I’ve had the pleasure of owning.

Now, a lot of people will probably ask me of the 3 top earphones which I currently own “which is the one to get?”  The answer to that is dependent on your listening preferences and, in my opinion, you previous experiences with custom in-ears OR your tendency to find in-ear-monitors uncomfortable.  For what it’s worth, I find that both the hard acrylic shell of the JH Audio models and the flexible canal tip of the Westone model to be both fairly comfortable.  However, the Westones, due In part to their expanding and flexible nature, block out even more outside noise and ultimately are far the more effective traveling partner.  I am ultimately far more impressed with the Westone’s fit.  Part of this can of course be due to superior ear impressions, but I think something has to be said for the softer canal tips and generously included lubricant which you can apply to the tips of your earpieces for an easier glide. 

If your tastes lean more towards classical and acoustic music, I cannot think of a better sonic experience right out of a portable player than the JH13.  If you lean more towards rock and pop, the Westones are the killer.  More on this…

The Sound
The ES5 is a 5 balanced armature / 3-way passive crossover design (single bass, dual mids, dual tweeters).  The sound is extremely full-bodied, providing great weight and depth to both male and female voices.  The midrange possesses more bloom than all the other Westones I’ve tried.  For those who prefer the Westone 3 and 4 over the Shure SE535, but missed the forwardness and lushness of the SE535, the ES5 is perhaps the perfect amalgam for you.  When compared with the JH13 and JH16, I have distinct preferences depending on the style of music I’m listening to.  The JH13 succeeds in being the most neutral and most detailed in ear I have ever heard, surpassing my previous detail-champion, the UE10 Pro.  However, and this is of big importance, the JH13 is revealing to a point that a lot of rock music I feel is lacking warmth and a liveliness.  If I were monitoring a live mix however, I would reach for the JH13 or JH16 as these are simply on-point with what is needed for monitoring.  For playback and personal enjoyment, I feel very differently.  For classical music, the JH13 is the best in ear I’ve heard without exception, but for rock and metal the 13s and 16s are more aggressive in the treble than I would prefer.  The midrange here has a recessed quality and there are moments of sibilance which makes brightly mastered recordings suffer quite a bit.

By comparison, the Westone ES5 is extremely fun and alive.  Before attempting to explain the sonic character further, I can try to compare the 3 custom earphones to full-size headphones:

1. The ES5 sound a lot like what I’d imagine the Denon D7000 would sound like if turned into an in ear.
  2. Equally as much, the JH13 resemble the HD800, with a bit of smoothness added and obviously some soundstage depth removed. 
  3. The JH16 sounds like the 13s but with added bass impact.  The 16s I perhaps my least favorite of the 3 offerings on the basis that for the genres where I prefer a fun/warm sound, I prefer the ES5’s handling of treble. 

It is worth mentioning that whereas the JH16 really put out some very deep impactful bass, the Westone’s bass is more midbass focused.  Because of this, I would prefer the 16s for monitoring and live performance while I would prefer the ES5 for listening.

The imaging ability of the ES5 is very good.  It is not quite as defined as the JH13 or JH16.  A lot of this is due to the difference in treble presentation.  For instance, while listening to Sting’s “Fortress Around Your Heart” with the JH13 I am able to have a better handling on where the overhead microphones sat in relation to the drum kit.  The ride cymbal possesses greater sizzle and resonance.  But to counteract that, the aggressive cymbal sections forced me to lower the volume.  When listening with the ES5, the the cymbals were far more recessed, but even in aggressive sections, were not fatiguing.  This is again why I feel the ES5 are really the optimal choice for rock music. 

Listening to Elliott Smith’s “Pretty (Ugly Before)” the ES5 demonstrate just how forward it can bring the vocal.  I really do appreciate this forwardness which by the way is not all that fatiguing.  With the ES5, guitars have tremendous bottom which really thickens the overall sound when rocking out.  For instance, listening to Talking Heads’ “Burning Down The House” the funky guitar chops in the right channel have lots of definition and depth without spilling into the vocal.  The hi-hat here has as an airy reverberation which I think the ES5 handles very effectively without harshness or sibilance.

Next, I’m going to try what I consider to be one of the most unlistenably-bright of all classic remasters: Lynyrd Skynyrd’s first album.  With the JH16 and JH13, I don’t even bother listening to this album because the cymbal work is just so piercing.  With the ES5, I can listen without fatigue.  Now, in the sense that I know for sure that this album is mastered with a boost in the treble, I don’t blame the JH13/16 for demonstrating how piercing it sounds, but I do appreciate the ES5’s far more forgiving nature.

For classical music, the JH13 added more overtones into the mix to make for a preferable sonic experience.  I enjoyed classical with the ES5, but the JH13 clearly outshined the ES5 here.  With jazz, I felt both ear monitors had something very distinct to offer and I would appreciate both for different reasons: The JH13 was more articulate, clearer with more detail; the JH16 had all this detail and added impact (very nice in this regard); the ES5 was the most euphonic of the three, and felt the most musical, if not the most detailed.

Last Word
If you have experienced any of Westone's top flight universal IEMs, and have liked what you heard; picture this same sound signature with added detail and definition, without any added shrill qualities which can sometimes be a trade-off with regards to adding detail.  The ES5 is my pick for best sounding IEM with rock music.  It is one of the most forgiving IEMs I’ve used and adds a robust, smooth, and warm character to the music. 

Highly recommended!

Dec 6, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 37
Own both, and agree with your thoughts. Pretty much spot on, thanks for the write up

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 37

Quote:

If you have experienced any of Westone's top flight universal IEMs, and have liked what you heard; picture this same sound signature with added detail and definition, without any added shrill qualities which can sometimes be a trade-off with regards to adding detail.  The ES5 is my pick for best sounding IEM with rock music.  It is one of the most forgiving IEMs I’ve used and makes adds a robust, smooth, and warm character to the music. 

Highly recommended!

Thank you for a great review!!

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 37
Thank you for reading.  I hope this review is able to clear up some myths about driver quantity.  The JH13 is truly remarkable, and the JH16 is very good for those who want a bassier 13, but the ES5 competes exceptionally well, is surpassed in some areas, and is better in other areas.  Of course, all this is subjective.

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 37
Great review.
By the way, the jh3a is a passive crossover. Ultimate Ears has the patent on the active crossover tech Jerry misled the audio world into thinking he would make. After months of misdirection, Jerry finally admitted he had no legal right to UE's design and has now been shipping the jh3a with common passive crossovers.

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 37

Quote:
Great review.
By the way, the jh3a is a passive crossover. Ultimate Ears has the patent on the active crossover tech Jerry misled the audio world into thinking he would make. After months of misdirection, Jerry finally admitted he had no legal right to UE's design and has now been shipping the jh3a with common passive crossovers.

Wow, are you serious? So basically, the JH3A is no different than any other external portable amplifier?

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 37
Not really, even if one amp per channel. DSP can help a lot and the xover bits and slopes can be greatly enhanced with the extra space available but one amp per channel is not active...if that's the case. My understanding was that it has 3 amps per channel (6 total) directly connected to the drivers. Passive bits before the amp stage is how active circuits have been done since the beginning.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 37
I haven't kept up as I don't have a dog in this but are you sure you don't mean dsp Xovers vs component Xovers before the active amps. Both setups are still active. If there's more than 1 amp per channel being used with xover of any type before them, it's an active network. If the only xovers are post amplifier it's passive whether bi/tri amped or not. There's still improvements to be had but it's not the same. I could also see active with some post bits to adjust damping factor etc. I have no idea what Jerry is actually doing.

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #11 of 37
I haven't kept up as I don't have a dog in this but are you sure you don't mean dsp Xovers vs component Xovers before the active amps. Both setups are still active. If there's more than 1 amp per channel being used, it's an active network.

Jerry described the new set up as passive.

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #12 of 37
Saying it's passive components in front of the amps isn't the same as it being a passive system There are absolutele no patents on active networks like this. I know you don't like JHA (not saying you shouldn't for whatever your reasons) but I think you may be jumping the gun. Site still lists 3 amps per channel.

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #13 of 37

Quote:
Saying it's passive components in front of the amps isn't the same as it being a passive system There are absolutele no patents on active networks like this. I know you don't like JHA (not saying you shouldn't for whatever your reasons) but I think you may be jumping the gun. Site still lists 3 amps per channel.

Well, I did say that Jerry intentionally misled people for months and months, and he used customers pre-order money to fund a system that he knew there was a high probability he would not be able to make, that would be the cause of my not liking Jerry.

Given that, it seems a bit funny for me to ask: You're saying we shouldn't believe Jerry about his own system?

He claimed his passive crossovers were as good or better than his previous active crossover system--but if he could claim an active system, he would have just claimed that as it's a much more impressive selling point.

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #14 of 37
Please, you guys are derailing the thread. How Jerry handled the preorders for JH3A doesn't belong to a review for the ES5.

On topic:

Great review! Sometimes, I wonder if I should have went for the ES5 instead of the UERM... but well, the order is made already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back