Westone ES5 Question - Treble Presentation Question
Nov 6, 2012 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JulesK

Head-Fier
I've been listening to my ES5, comparing it to other headphones, and the question I have is whether the treble in the unit is off (and if so, how can you tell?).  The bass and mids of the ES5 are wonderful, but the treble strikes me as fairly recessed.  The detail of the treble is very nice, and it certainly never gets unbearable.  But the treble often strikes me as overly recessed, losing some of the sparkle that I hear in other headphones (albeit a trade off with balance and detail).

I've read as many threads/posts on the ES5 as a I can (but, in candor, have not gone through the entire 350 page main thread..who could?).  If other ES5 owners had any thoughts on this, or points of comparison, I'd really appreciate it.  (I even called Westone, and they told me that unless I was hearing a rattle or odd sound from the unit. the drivers were fine.)

Many thanks in advance.

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 3
I have to admit they are pretty recessed, even more than my W4 which is known to be rather smooth and never fatiguing in the treble. I believe there's also a drop off around the high mids which make them sound a little muffled. Sent for a refit suspecting it was a driver issue and they returned the same.

Check out the this comparison thread by David Mahler. http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-50-headphones-compared
He hears the ES5 almost exactly as I hear them.

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 3
Mogumagnus - Thanks for the reply and confirmation.  I guess they are what they are.  When I first got my ES5, I was so thrilled with the mids and detail (and, frankly, quantum improvement over the rather mediocre B&W C5s I was using) that I didn't really focus on the treble that much.  Now I have, and wonder whether there is something out there (JH-16?) that strikes a better balance.  But the ES5 is so darn comfortable!  I guess that's what makes this a frustrating hobby.  There is always something that could be improved...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back